share rss forum feed

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

Accepting credit card payment through paypal

I have been through their site. Call me retarded, but I can't find out how to charge an amount to someone's credit card.

My boss used to have a machine to run a credit card through, but he cancelled his subscription to the service once he moved to a smaller building.

I have a paypal account I've used numerous times over the past three years. I would like to charge a sum of money for studio services rendered, using my paypal account. I used to work for a place that processed all credit card payments through paypal.

Is it possible to simply put one's name, credit card information, etc into paypal and have the charge made, or is there more involved?

Thanks.
--
Macbook repair in NYC

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

There's a link for FUNDING source, You can add a credit card with that.
--
Mom and Crockett...... I miss you both!

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt

join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI
reply to thender

You need a business account with PayPal, and then add the Virtual Terminal service to the account which carries a $30/month fee
--
Lightning Bolt Technologies

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME
reply to thender

said by thender:

I have been through their site. Call me retarded, but I can't find out how to charge an amount to someone's credit card.
If this is a one-time deal, I believe that even "personal" accounts can accept a small number of CC transactions in a yearly period.

How you'd go about setting that up is something someone else will have to fill you in on.
--
We could use the £5,000 to buy a spoon. And then fill up with ice cream.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

The person with a credit card needs their own account.
Then money can be sent from that account to your account.

You can't just add a card and send money to yourself. You need two accounts.
--
For those of you playing a drinking game.... MY FRIENDS!

Mr Neutron
Premium
Gorham, ME

said by r81984:

The person with a credit card needs their own account.
Then money can be sent from that account to your account.

You can't just add a card and send money to yourself. You need two accounts.
Right. There's a big difference between accepting a credit card payment from someone who has a PP account and accepting one from someone who only has a CC, but no PP account.

It sounds like LBDSL's suggestion is the way to go if you're looking to do the latter on an ongoing basis. Otherwise, you may want to ask the person who owes you money if they have a PP account so you can avoid the $30 monthly fee.

@ LBDSL: Does the Virtual Terminal service also charge a percentage of the transaction? Or is it simply a $30 flat fee every month? I'm guessing the former.
--

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to thender

Try using their Payment Recommendation Wizard

You can also call them. Customer Service: 888-221-1161
--
The only thing we have to fear is Fear itself...... and spiders.

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ
reply to thender

SORRY, I misread that.

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt

join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI
reply to Mr Neutron

said by Mr Neutron:

@ LBDSL: Does the Virtual Terminal service also charge a percentage of the transaction? Or is it simply a $30 flat fee every month? I'm guessing the former.
It is just like any other credit card payment through paypal, so there is still the the percentage fee. The $30/month Virtual Terminal fee, just gives you access to the virtual terminal, which is just a page where you can enter a customers credit card info, and process the payment yourself.

Think of the $30 just like the monthly fee all other credit card merchant accounts bill you.

When PayPal first launched the VT, there was no monthly fee, then they started charging $20/month, and then up'ed it to $30.
--
Lightning Bolt Technologies

Mr Neutron
Premium
Gorham, ME

said by LBDSL:

When PayPal first launched the VT, there was no monthly fee, then they started charging $20/month, and then up'ed it to $30.
Yes, PayPal is can never be accused of being the least shy about jacking up their fees and rates adjusting their prices whenever they can.

I've heard about some PayPal alternatives, but none of them seems to have acquired the necessary momentum yet.
--

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to thender

You will need to click "Request Money" at the top center. From this page: "You can request a payment from anyone with an email address even if they do not have a PayPal account."

Basically, without a virtual terminal account and such, you can not enter credit card details by hand for sales. This goes against there merchant agreement I believe.

If this is just a one time thing, Request Money is probably the easiest. Since you can make an invoice in the 2nd step and everything.
--
Block Accounts | UseNet Now

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to thender

I process credit cards on my website through PayPal using their "website payments standard" API. It has no monthly fee, just the normal per transaction fees. It can be a bit of a PITA to do and most likely not something you can do in short notice, especially if the customer is standing there waiting.

What you could do once the site is up and running is create a generic customer login for your site and login as that. The site doesn't even need to be publicly accessible but it does need internet access so it can talk to PayPal. Create a few "items" on the site for various dollar amounts depending on what you charge. This works best if you charge a flat fee based on services rendered. For hourly wages just add one and adjust the quantity needed to match the number of hours on the invoice. Run through the checkout process and checkout as if you were a normal customer and fill in the customers credit card info.

Like I said, it's not something that will be easy but it gives you a way to take credit cards without any extra monthly fees.

insomniac84

join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

1 edit
reply to thender

There is google checkout. »checkout.google.com/seller/fees.html

Looks like all fees are per transaction and they don't charge anything monthly.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to thender

Google checkout and I had a falling out a few months ago when they ran off with $1700 of my money with no customer support phone number so I could scream heads off.

This is really going to be a one time thing, so getting a whole new type of account is overkill. I'm going to try request money and see how that goes.

Thanks.
--
Macbook repair in NYC

Expand your moderator at work

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to thender

Re: Accepting credit card payment through paypal

said by thender:

Google checkout and I had a falling out a few months ago when they ran off with $1700 of my money with no customer support phone number so I could scream heads off.

This is really going to be a one time thing, so getting a whole new type of account is overkill. I'm going to try request money and see how that goes.

Thanks.
you did get the money back eventually right?
--
standard disclaimers apply.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Yes. I learned a valuable lesson, though - never use a money handling service in which there is no way to contact or speak to people the people who run it, or the people who work for the people who run it.
--
Macbook repair in NYC

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
reply to thender

You can also process CC payments through Quickbooks for half what Paypal charges: »quickbooks.intuit.com/product/ad···_kit.jsp

Mr Neutron
Premium
Gorham, ME
reply to thender

said by thender:

Yes. I learned a valuable lesson, though - never use a money handling service in which there is no way to contact or speak to people the people who run it, or the people who work for the people who run it.
Um, in that case, you may want to be careful with PayPal.

Yes, they supposedly have a "customer service number," but it's my understanding that those employees are in a bunker somewhere in Nebraska. Worse, they're about as helpful as eBay's "customer service" staff, which, as anyone who had ever dealt with eBay can tell you, means that you couldn't get any less useful help or information from them if they were in a coma.

If this is a one-off deal, (as I believe it is) no sweat. Anything other than that and I'd look somewhere else rather than PayPal. The potential for them screwing you over just isn't worth it.
--

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

I've contacted PayPal via phone several times and they've been extremely helpful. It's been related to my PayPal account and limits though, nothing fraud related.