spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brianw1957
join:2006-01-24
West Jordan, UT

brianw1957

Cherry Picking... again. "Select markets"

I can say this, I live in West Jordan, UT, and I'm still only getting 1.5. The promise of faster service has again failed to make it to less than profitable areas and markets.
It looks again like a bit of cherry picking from where I sit.
Does anyone know the secret to getting a remote terminal upgraded? I was told to write a letter to the CEO, but haven't figured out just where one would send it.
Anyone else in WJ wishing or have any luck with this?
Thanks
MightyPez
join:2002-05-01
Saint Paul, MN

MightyPez

Even worse, I have lived in Saint Paul and surrounding suburbs. I have never been able to get above 1.5mbit service from them despite advertising their 7mbit service for years.

I'll believe this when I see it.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

1 recommendation

Transmaster to brianw1957

to brianw1957

I am so excited

Qwest annouces they will offer 40Mbps/20Mbps service in Cheyenne, Wyoming starting in the Spring of 2025. I can't wait.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to brianw1957

to brianw1957

Re: Cherry Picking... again. "Select markets"

VDSL is a short-range tech last I checked, so you're MUCH more likely to get ADSL2+ than VDSL. Problem is, you're probably on a bonded-T1-powered node at the moment so they'd have to first upgrade you to FTTN before going to VDSL2 (which probably won't happen).

I'm in an urban area in Golden, CO (not far from Denver). No ADSL2+ here; a block over 7 Mbps is the top speed. At my location, 5 Mbps is (minus overhead of course). Yes, it's better than 1.5 but Comcast has made the upgrade to DOCSIS 2.0 at this point, so even when FTTN comes out it'll already be out of date.

Put into perspective, Comcast's second-lowest tier (Economy is cheaper than Qwest dry-line DSL FWIW) is faster in every way than Qwest's highest ADSL tier here. One megabit on uploads vs. about 716 after overhead, six megabits on downloads vs. about that much after overhead on Qwest. Except on Comcast PowerBoost will double or even quadruple download speeds and push uploads to 8-11 Mbps for the first few seconds of a download, while Qwest sits at their prescribed speeds for the entire duration.

Of course Golden, filled with college students as it is and relatively dense, would be a nice place to put some VDSL, but we don't even get FTTN so 99% of the people I know off-campus have Comcast.

Transmaster
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster to brianw1957

to brianw1957
said by brianw1957:

I can say this, I live in West Jordan, UT, and I'm still only getting 1.5. The promise of faster service has again failed to make it to less than profitable areas and markets.
It looks again like a bit of cherry picking from where I sit.
Does anyone know the secret to getting a remote terminal upgraded? I was told to write a letter to the CEO, but haven't figured out just where one would send it.
Anyone else in WJ wishing or have any luck with this?
Thanks
Go here: »news.qwest.com/company-m ··· -mueller

qworst
@comcast.net

qworst to brianw1957

Anon

to brianw1957
as a Sandy resident I had the same problem. It's inexcusable to only be able to get 1.5 megs in a fairly well populated and affluent area. I eventually got sick of Qwest's games.
I dropped Qwest for Comcast and have never been happier.
brianw1957
join:2006-01-24
West Jordan, UT

brianw1957 to Transmaster

to Transmaster
To bad the email link is bogus...
Time to ask my Qwest employed brother for a hand here.
Thanks
rahvin112
join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

1 edit

rahvin112 to qworst

to qworst
Accidental Double post. Sorry
rahvin112

rahvin112 to qworst

to qworst
I'm in Sandy at around 9500 south 2200 east. There is Remote CO (Brick building, probably 10x15 in size) that I know has a fiber loop to it from the CO that is probably less than 1000' from my home and I can only get 1.5 down. I made the mistake of sticking to 1.5 when the initial offer of DSL was available, because IIRC they did offer 7down in my neighborhood. I think the link is so saturated with customers that they will only offer 1.5 down now and they won't upgrade anyone.

To upgrade my neighborhood I think all they have to do is upgrade the equipment on either side of the Fiber loop so they have more than T1 capacity and it's been that way for more than 2 years now. Although the equipment isn't cheap it's way cheaper than digging a new fiber into the ground and they still haven't done even that. That's how bad their finances are. Don't hold out hope they will upgrade you to VDSL or ADSL2, they are going to hit urban denver as much as they can then ignore the rest us. The only area in SLC that's going to see the new speeds is likely Daybreak.

woodward
XMission Internet
join:2000-12-28
Salt Lake City, UT

woodward

In north Sandy, a few blocks from the Midvale border, I can still only get 256k.
AstroBoy
join:2008-08-08
Parkville, MD

AstroBoy to Transmaster

to Transmaster

Re: I am so excited

said by Transmaster:

Qwest annouces they will offer 40Mbps/20Mbps service in Cheyenne, Wyoming starting in the Spring of 2025. I can't wait.
In 2025, that will be really slow!

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

2 edits

FFH5 to brianw1957

Premium Member

to brianw1957

said by brianw1957:

To bad the email link is bogus...
Time to ask my Qwest employed brother for a hand here.
Thanks
You can send an email to Corporate Communications VP here:
Nicholas.sweers@qwest.com

and also get high visibility here on Twitter:
»www.twitter.com/monicamartinez
»www.twitter.com/rtoevs

There are other relevant email addresses and Twitter links on this web page:
»news.qwest.com/contact-media
TransitJohn
join:2009-05-08
Denver, CO

TransitJohn to Transmaster

to Transmaster

Yep. They will not upgrade any town in Wyoming, ever. The actuarial tables make it unprofitable for too long.
dynodb
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

dynodb to woodward

Premium Member

to woodward

said by woodward:

In north Sandy, a few blocks from the Midvale border, I can still only get 256k.
Have you checked recently? I heard that some VDSL2 remotes have been added in the Sandy area just in the past 3-4 weeks. No idea if any are close enough to you though.

Transmaster
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster to AstroBoy

to AstroBoy

said by AstroBoy:
said by Transmaster:

Of course, Cheyenne will alway get 10 year old service today.

woodward
XMission Internet
join:2000-12-28
Salt Lake City, UT

woodward to dynodb

to dynodb

said by dynodb:

Have you checked recently? I heard that some VDSL2 remotes have been added in the Sandy area just in the past 3-4 weeks. No idea if any are close enough to you though.
Just tried again on your suggestion. Still 256k. Hasn't been an upgrade in the area in the 6 years I've owned the home.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk to woodward

Premium Member

to woodward
well I live around 700 east in Sandy and I just looked today and I now can get speeds up to 12/896 which is a huge upgrade from 1.5/896 this address has seen the last 8 years....

Might actually order now...
skriefal
join:2002-12-26
Sandy, UT

skriefal to woodward

to woodward
I'm in northern Sandy... and according to Qwest's web site I qualify for the 40/20 service. I've had the 12/.896 service for about a year, and might go for the 12/5 upgrade.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to Transmaster

Premium Member

to Transmaster

said by Transmaster:

said by AstroBoy:
said by Transmaster:

Of course, Cheyenne will alway get 10 year old service today.
That's why I went with Bresnan...8mbit is nice, and ironically it's the fastest internet I've had, having lived in populated areas of California and Ohio, it was a suprise to me to see 8mbit avilable in Cheyenne. 16mbit is also avilable through them, but I will wait on that one.
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23 to MightyPez

to MightyPez

I am in Northfield. Thankfully I have Charters 20/2mb not the fast 1.5mb they tried to sell me

TuxRaiderPen
A Warm Embrace
join:2009-06-02
Outer Rim

TuxRaiderPen

Upon canceling my account (Crap 1.2 Mbps), the cs person sorrowfully told me, "Oh, sorry, looks like we don't offer any higher speeds for your area..., would you like six months free....". In any event, I flat out told her, "Look, your CEO said people don't care about speed, just "service". That philosophy is what lost me, you can't compete with DOCSIS 3.0, nor do you intend to do so. Please cancel my account.".

I hope they "recorded and analyzed my conversation with the service associate".