spc
Search similar:

uniqs

btownguy
@nissan-usa.com

btownguy

Anon

bandwidth usage monitor?

I read that Comcast was supposed to release an online bandwidth usage meter around January of this year. I can't for the life of me find it online anywhere. I would like to track all bandwidth in/out of my house so a PC application is out of the question. I tried the Tomato firmware for my WRT54GL and my VPN didn't work correctly. My last option is to try DD-WRT on the WRT54GL, but an tracking by Comcast web app would fit my needs. Did they ever get around to releasing this?

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

As of right now, the McAfee security is the only monitor they have.

HR
@comcast.net

HR to btownguy

Anon

to btownguy
The problem with using Mcafee Security to monitor bandwidth is that every computer connected to your router either via ethernet cable or wireless needs to have the software. Some devices, like wifi phones, won't ever have Mcafee security. Your best bet to monitor your usage is to install Tomato firmware with SNMP support located here:

»www.avenard.org/wrt54-to ··· -vpn.zip (credit goes to a poster named Gherkin on the whirlpool forums: »forums.whirlpool.net.au/ ··· 661.html)

and then use the free version of PRTG to track bandwidth usage directly from the router. This is the most accurate way to make sure you count every last byte going over Comcast's network. This is how I've setup all my friends on Comcast and is your best bet to making sure you don't go over the limit.

inferno4
join:2008-07-06

inferno4

I am using DD-WRT on my router as my bandwidth meter, works perfectly.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to HR

Premium Member

to HR
said by HR :

Your best bet to monitor your usage is to install Tomato firmware with SNMP support located here:

»www.avenard.org/wrt54-to ··· -vpn.zip (credit goes to a poster named Gherkin on the whirlpool forums: »forums.whirlpool.net.au/ ··· 661.html)

and then use the free version of PRTG to track bandwidth usage directly from the router. This is the most accurate way to make sure you count every last byte going over Comcast's network. This is how I've setup all my friends on Comcast and is your best bet to making sure you don't go over the limit.
W.I.W., one really doesn't have to go through quite that amount of trouble..

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins to HR

MVM

to HR

DD-WRT v24
DD-WRT here.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson to HR

Premium Member

to HR
I agree that if you don't have the ability to install tomato or DD-WRT on your router then its a real pain in the ass to track bandwith usage on every device accessing your router (Desktops, laptops, smartphones, wii, xbox, etc etc etc.)

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 edit

EG

Premium Member

said by C_Chipperson:

I agree that if you don't have the ability to install tomato or DD-WRT on your router then its a real pain in the ass to track bandwith usage on every device accessing your router (Desktops, laptops, smartphones, wii, xbox, etc etc etc.)
I thought that he did indeed recommend Tomato?, albeit with a somewhat convoluted process..

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to btownguy

to btownguy
Please keep discussion of the bandwidth usage meter in this stickied topic at the top of the forum topic list --->

»The Bandwidth Limits/Congestion Management Topic

From the first post in that thread: