1 edit

downstream errors.

Click for full size
before
Click for full size
now
Click for full size
last time i lost sync
If I'm only getting downstream errors, is it a problem on my end? I've always had these errors but it has never caused my modem to loose sync. Also, for some reason tomato can't connect anymore even after the modem re syncs. I have to reboot both devices to get back online.

TilhasBB
Formally Goden99
Premium
join:2000-08-05
canada

For Tomato its because MLPPP is a paid service now. Call TSI to add it (4$/month) or disable MLPPP.

For your line stats.
Your upload changed from 20,5 attenuation to 5.5... better but download is the same.
Downstream or upstream errors is all the same. it could be from anywhere not just your end.

Did you change anything? remove an old phone? change modem location?
I'd try finding out if its a problem on your end first, try with no phones connected, different phone cable (under 6ft), away from electronics etc etc. Because if you open a ticket with bell they will just drop your profile to 5mb..

eew

@mc.videotron.ca

Yup, this is a definite line problem some place.

1st picture:
Occupancy: 78
Attenuation: 20.5
Speed: 800

2nd picture (Now):
Occupancy: 83
Attenuation: 5.5
Speed: 640

3rd picture:
Occupancy: 75
Attenuation: 7.5

You have some sort of short or load on your line (or a very ugly voltage cross outside).

Unplug everything in all phone plugs. See how the values change as you start re-adding any phone devices (if you can't test at the demarc that is). Make sure everything is filtered properly.

The fact that your occupancy jumped up while your speed dropped shows it's a line problem (short).

TSI should be able to open a ticket for you.

But if the problem is inside the home, Bell could charge you +100$ to fix. or you can maybe find someone in the yellow pages to fix this under 100$ *if* it's inside the home.

oxfordwhite

join:2008-01-28
Kitchener, ON
reply to EC

Same issue for me. I have MLPPP bonded. First line is Clean and second has these errors. The TSI crew has been very helpful (just about talked to the entire support staff) in escalating with Bell and getting things sorted out. I hope to get my resolution soon.

EC

join:2006-10-20
York, ON

3 edits
reply to TilhasBB

Click for full size
stats with modem connected to demarc.
said by TilhasBB:

For Tomato its because MLPPP is a paid service now. Call TSI to add it (4$/month) or disable MLPPP.

For your line stats.
Your upload changed from 20,5 attenuation to 5.5... better but download is the same.
Downstream or upstream errors is all the same. it could be from anywhere not just your end.

Did you change anything? remove an old phone? change modem location?
I'd try finding out if its a problem on your end first, try with no phones connected, different phone cable (under 6ft), away from electronics etc etc. Because if you open a ticket with bell they will just drop your profile to 5mb..
MLPPP has been disabled for 2 weeks.
I'm on an IKNS remote, so I never paid attention to the upload attenuation because it always changes.
I have not moved or changed anything in my setup.
Yes, that's why I don't want to call in yet and loose my 6mb.

said by eew :

Yup, this is a definite line problem some place.

1st picture:
Occupancy: 78
Attenuation: 20.5

2nd picture (Now):
Occupancy: 83
Attenuation: 5.5
Speed: 640

3rd picture:
Occupancy: 75
Attenuation: 7.5

You have some sort of short or load on your line (or a very ugly voltage cross outside).

Unplug everything in all phone plugs. See how the values change as you start re-adding any phone devices (if you can't test at the demarc that is). Make sure everything is filtered properly.

The fact that your occupancy jumped up while your speed dropped shows it's a line problem (short).

TSI should be able to open a ticket for you.

I just opened my demarc and I now have the modem connected directly using cat3 cable. I'm still getting downstream errors only but have not lost sync. The loss of signal happens randomly so can't tell yet if it made any difference. I'm surprised my stats didn't change much though.
I've also noticed that the errors don't start building up until I start downloading heavily.

donkey

join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC
reply to EC

see: »Bell finally fixed the IKNS remotes (somewhat)

it would seem that after the "fix" you started getting a crap load of errors, coincidence?

EC

York, ON

Yea, Ive thought about that but I don't think I'd be able to get bell to remove that patch if that is what causing this.

EC

York, ON

Click for full size
Click for full size
bottom
Demarc pics. The house was used as an office before it was sold to us, so that's why there's 12 lines going to the house. Is it possible to get bell to install one with a test jack?

TilhasBB
Formally Goden99
Premium
canada

pick up the phone and listen to hear if you have any static on the line.
try to connect modem to demarc directly without the home side connected do you still get downstream errors?

EC

York, ON

Don't hear any static, just a clean dial tone.
It's raining right now, so I'll try that tomorrow.
There's only one phone in the house and unplugging it doesn't seem to make a difference.

mr_hexen

join:2007-08-02
Brampton, ON
reply to EC

detailed pics, but can you take one further out?

also, label or identify what line is what.

thx

EC

York, ON

Click for full size
i'll try to get a better shot tomorrow, but here's what I remember.

EC

York, ON
reply to EC

Click for full size
current stats
lol, errors still going up, 4 loss of signal, 9 errored seconds and yet I haven't been disconnected and downstream SNR went up by 3.

EC

York, ON
reply to EC

Click for full size
lost connection right after my last post...

look

@mc.videotron.ca

Your downstream SNR just dropped 10-points (v bad).... You said it's raining right now.

Is it always like this even when *not* raining?

Rain tend to bring out line issues more than nice days.

Hard to call if this is an inside problem, outside problem, or a combination of both.

EC

York, ON

2 edits
reply to EC

I used to get disconnected every time it rains, but that hasn't happened since 3-4 years ago. My line always produces a lot more errors not during the rain but after, it has never caused the modem to loose sync though. Also, the last few times the modem lost signal, it wasn't raining.

TilhasBB
Formally Goden99
Premium
canada

Try upgrading to the 7.4.4.7 firmware.
I've had great success with it. much more stability and holds sync better on bad lines.

physical

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to EC

said by EC:

I used to get disconnected every time it rains, but that hasn't happened since 3-4 years ago. My line always produces a lot more errors not during the rain but after, it has never caused the modem to loose sync though. Also, the last few times the modem lost signal, it wasn't raining.
You need a tech.

I don't know much about the firmware, mentioned above, and what it does. But your stats are too bad in my opinion to leave it as is. Unless of course if thilhasBB is suggesting the 516 is bad in some way, as is, and requires another firmware (this I don't know).

These things only tend to get worse. I can't see a firmware fixing this. It's a physical that should be fixed.

If you think your house wiring is not the issue, TSI should be putting in a ticket to get a tech to you.

If you try the firmware as suggested above, let us know how it goes. But I can't see the firmware fixing occupancy, attenuation and SNR. These problems you have are physical and not a matter of a marginal line.

EC

York, ON
reply to EC

Click for full size
@tilhasbb

I tried disconnecting the inside lines like you said and it seems the problem is caused by one of the jacks on the second floor. Here's the stats with that jack disconnected while downloading at full speed. DS SNR also went up by 3-4. thanks.

FZero68
Premium
join:2004-01-22
Thornhill ON

I'm on one of those blasted remotes and let me tell you, I had the EXACT same problems as you a few months ago. Even down to losing sync and having to reboot both the modem and router to get back online and it just happened out of the blue as well. The graph in DMT showed peaks and valleys exactly like yours does. I had techs come over and do this and that but nothing helped. Then just as quickly and suddenly the problems came one day they just went away.

During problems

Right Now.

I don't know what to tell you that makes it all better but just know I had the exact same experience. Right now everything is pretty much stable.