Click for full size
Fiber rack
Click for full size
Fiber distribution panels
Click for full size
GPON Splitters
Click for full size
Splice trays
This is still being spliced and not yet active.
I'll post more pics.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Cool

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
reply to mrkevin

Thanks! I'd love to see an OLT.

mrkevin
Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
Premium
join:2007-08-07
Aurora, ME

I'd love to see an OLT.
The OLT is mainly just a plug-in card.
But if you want to see one, I will get the pics
--
An army of sheep led by a lion, will always defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

WantingFIOS

@sbcglobal.net
reply to mrkevin

Ah neat, I take it Verizon is finally upgrading their back end to fiber instead of copper to fully supplement fiber all the way to the home? Last time I was at a verizon plant, their bankend was still all copper for FIOS.

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME

Oh...side note.

This isn't a Verizon CO. we are an independent.
I'm sure they are using some of the same equipment.

I take it Verizon is finally upgrading their back end to fiber instead of copper to fully supplement fiber all the way to the home?
We are, I'm not sure about Verizon.
--
An army of sheep led by a lion, will always defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to WantingFIOS

said by WantingFIOS :

Ah neat, I take it Verizon is finally upgrading their back end to fiber instead of copper to fully supplement fiber all the way to the home? Last time I was at a verizon plant, their bankend was still all copper for FIOS.
Who cares what the back end is. If it supplies adequit bandwidth, what does it matter if it's copper, fiber, microwave, or tin cups with strings.

WantingFIOS

@sbcglobal.net
reply to mrkevin

said by mrkevin:

Oh...side note.

This isn't a Verizon CO. we are an independent.
I'm sure they are using some of the same equipment.

I take it Verizon is finally upgrading their back end to fiber instead of copper to fully supplement fiber all the way to the home?
We are, I'm not sure about Verizon.
Ah thanks for clearing that up. Last time I was over doing some work at their facility (about 6 months ago), it was still a copper setup (this was a cost saving measure). Nothing wrong with it, actually slightly lower latency anyways compared to fiber, just as much throughput especially with the short lengths.

said by cdru:

said by WantingFIOS :

Who cares what the back end is. If it supplies adequit bandwidth, what does it matter if it's copper, fiber, microwave, or tin cups with strings.
Wow, sounds like I pushed a button, I never said it was a huge deal, just asking if an upgrade was taking place, since neither I nor my department has heard about it yet. Besides, not much would be gained as of yet with using all fiber as a backed to the network (as of yet).

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME

1 recommendation

reply to mrkevin

Click for full size
OLT
Click for full size
Fiber rack
Click for full size
OLT to splitters
Click for full size
CS1500
pic 1: is two OLG cards. This office is still copper so once we start the cut all other cards to the left will be removed

pic 2: another fiber rack from a different office

Pic 3: Fibers from the OLT are connected to the splitters

Pic 4: Nortel CS1500 speaks for itself. Very reliable (shameless plug)
--

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

Not sure why you are posting these pics of FTTH equipment in the FiOS forum that have nothing to do with Verizon FiOS...

kdwycha

join:2003-01-30
Riverview, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 recommendation

said by nycdave:

Not sure why you are posting these pics of FTTH equipment in the FiOS forum that have nothing to do with Verizon FiOS...
Dunno looking at the brands of the various stuff I think Verizon uses mostly the same thing. Interesting enough anyway. I like pictures of things with blinky lights. I often go into the garage to watch the ONT lights blink after smoking a joint.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to mrkevin

Neat.

Fios just became available in my neighborhood, and I will be scheduling the triple play install Monday.

Bye Bye Comcrap!!!!
--
Petty people are disproportionably corrupted by petty power…

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME

2 edits
reply to nycdave

why you are posting these pics of FTTH equipment in the FiOS forum that have nothing to do with Verizon FiOS
For a couple reasons:
#1 Verizon just uses the fancy 'market terms' to sell the stuff to you, so you can call it what ever you want. it's still Fiber to the home is it not?

#2 people here seem more interested in it.

Edit- Oh well, it got moved anyway. (this is hardly photos of broadband gear)
maybe if BBR had and "independent telco forum" I would have posted them there. (hint)
--
Expand your moderator at work

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

Re: FTTH CO and plant pics

We do have a General Fiber Optics Forum that you might be interested in:

»Fiber Optic

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME

Thank you, I do visit that one from time to time.

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO

Nice. Home many access lines does your company serve? How many splitters are going to be in the field?

Our 1500: »cs1500 Softswitch

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME

Click for full size
Open
Click for full size
closed
Click for full size
back
Click for full size
Splitter/RT
We serve about 1600 customers. I'm not sure how many splitters there will be when we're done. We are kinda spread out over 400 square miles and most live reasonably close to the CO.

I checked out your 1500. Nice, I hope it has the sides on by now...
Nortel used to have a saying :it only takes a man and a dog to run the DMS and the dog is too keep the man away from it...I think it's funny they put a locking door on the 1500.

Pics 1-3 CS1500

pic 4 Field splitter on pole / Remote Terminal will be removed.
I have heard people say "look for a tan box" when asking if fiber is in the area...The pole cabinet is Fiber. The big "tan" cabinet on the ground is copper...so looking for things colored "tan" is a waste of your time.
--

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME
reply to mrkevin

Click for full size
Splitter cabinet
Click for full size
NAP on right
Click for full size
NAP on TOP
Click for full size
Waiting to be spliced
Pic 1 is a splitter cabinet waiting to be installed
Pic 2 NAP on right. 3M Slick (copper) on left
pic 3 NAP on top. 200MB closure on bottom (copper)
Pic 4 junction waiting to be spliced into the splitter cabinet
--

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
reply to mrkevin

I'd love to get the opportunity to work on stuff like this one day...

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME
reply to mrkevin

Click for full size
Corning NAP
Click for full size
NAP kit
Click for full size
NAP empty
Click for full size
NAP splice tray
Pics of the Corning NAP

sedorox

join:2006-06-23
Williamsport, PA
kudos:1

Are these NAP's with the connectors on the outside that you connect do, or do you have to splice each line in the NAP?

I'm not sure if the above is what I'm thinking, I think it is... but similar to what Verizon uses.
(pic from: »www.fiberinstrumentsales.com/pro···res.html)

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME

I wouldn't doubt Verizon uses these, they don't like the installers in the cable. Must be a union thing...I have seen pics of one of their FIOS builds and they used the Corning.

Bottom one: PLP Terminal Closure 6 Port
You have to splice each fiber inside to each connector then connect a fiber drop that has a connector on the end to it.
(I think this way would have a tenancy for the connectors to get dirty)

As opposed to the Corning closure where the drop is directly fusion spliced to the cable fiber. It looks like the top Coyote closure is this type as well; Top one: Coyote Sealed Terminal Closure
--

rtfm

join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC
reply to mrkevin

said by mrkevin:

I have heard people say "look for a tan box" when asking if fiber is in the area...The pole cabinet is Fiber. The big "tan" cabinet on the ground is copper...so looking for things colored "tan" is a waste of your time.
Note that in Verizontal-land; fiber splitter cabinets are beige; but copper crossconnects are green. YMMV there, of course...

Thanks for the pictures...

MOTO6809

join:2007-11-05
Springfield, MA
reply to mrkevin

Hey MrKevin - Great pics...

Why do you use UPC fiber connectors at patch panel and go back to APC at the equipment end? Is it a mix between vendors on connector styles?

Thanks

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME

said by MOTO6809:

Hey MrKevin - Great pics...

Why do you use UPC fiber connectors at patch panel and go back to APC at the equipment end? Is it a mix between vendors on connector styles?

Thanks
they're all UPC connectors. The patch panels are angled for management.
We do have different styles of connectors SC, FC, LC because of vendor differences.

--

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to mrkevin

How many drops can be spliced and routed out one Corning NAP?