Click for full size
Open
Click for full size
closed
Click for full size
back
Click for full size
Splitter/RT
We serve about 1600 customers. I'm not sure how many splitters there will be when we're done. We are kinda spread out over 400 square miles and most live reasonably close to the CO.

I checked out your 1500. Nice, I hope it has the sides on by now...
Nortel used to have a saying :it only takes a man and a dog to run the DMS and the dog is too keep the man away from it...I think it's funny they put a locking door on the 1500.

Pics 1-3 CS1500

pic 4 Field splitter on pole / Remote Terminal will be removed.
I have heard people say "look for a tan box" when asking if fiber is in the area...The pole cabinet is Fiber. The big "tan" cabinet on the ground is copper...so looking for things colored "tan" is a waste of your time.
--
An army of sheep led by a lion, will always defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

mrkevin
Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
Premium
join:2007-08-07
Aurora, ME
reply to mrkevin
Click for full size
Splitter cabinet
Click for full size
NAP on right
Click for full size
NAP on TOP
Click for full size
Waiting to be spliced
Pic 1 is a splitter cabinet waiting to be installed
Pic 2 NAP on right. 3M Slick (copper) on left
pic 3 NAP on top. 200MB closure on bottom (copper)
Pic 4 junction waiting to be spliced into the splitter cabinet
--
An army of sheep led by a lion, will always defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
reply to mrkevin
I'd love to get the opportunity to work on stuff like this one day...

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME
reply to mrkevin
Click for full size
Corning NAP
Click for full size
NAP kit
Click for full size
NAP empty
Click for full size
NAP splice tray
Pics of the Corning NAP

sedorox

join:2006-06-23
Williamsport, PA
kudos:1
Are these NAP's with the connectors on the outside that you connect do, or do you have to splice each line in the NAP?

I'm not sure if the above is what I'm thinking, I think it is... but similar to what Verizon uses.
(pic from: »www.fiberinstrumentsales.com/pro···res.html)

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME
I wouldn't doubt Verizon uses these, they don't like the installers in the cable. Must be a union thing...I have seen pics of one of their FIOS builds and they used the Corning.

Bottom one: PLP Terminal Closure 6 Port
You have to splice each fiber inside to each connector then connect a fiber drop that has a connector on the end to it.
(I think this way would have a tenancy for the connectors to get dirty)

As opposed to the Corning closure where the drop is directly fusion spliced to the cable fiber. It looks like the top Coyote closure is this type as well; Top one: Coyote Sealed Terminal Closure
--

rtfm

join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to mrkevin
said by mrkevin:

I have heard people say "look for a tan box" when asking if fiber is in the area...The pole cabinet is Fiber. The big "tan" cabinet on the ground is copper...so looking for things colored "tan" is a waste of your time.
Note that in Verizontal-land; fiber splitter cabinets are beige; but copper crossconnects are green. YMMV there, of course...

Thanks for the pictures...

MOTO6809

join:2007-11-05
Springfield, MA
reply to mrkevin
Hey MrKevin - Great pics...

Why do you use UPC fiber connectors at patch panel and go back to APC at the equipment end? Is it a mix between vendors on connector styles?

Thanks

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME
said by MOTO6809:

Hey MrKevin - Great pics...

Why do you use UPC fiber connectors at patch panel and go back to APC at the equipment end? Is it a mix between vendors on connector styles?

Thanks
they're all UPC connectors. The patch panels are angled for management.
We do have different styles of connectors SC, FC, LC because of vendor differences.

--

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to mrkevin
How many drops can be spliced and routed out one Corning NAP?

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME
said by cypherstream:

How many drops can be spliced and routed out one Corning NAP?
I'm not sure.
It has 3 ports on each side and if 2 are taken up by the cable then that leaves 4 free ports.
I will find out and post it on Monday.
--

mrkevin
Premium
Aurora, ME
The Corning NAP has two 32mm distribution ports in each end cap with a maximum of 8 drop ports in each end cap.

So, Each end can accommodate 8 terminations or 16 per NAP.

--