uniqs

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

USPS Tracking

Has anyone ever had a good accurate experience with the USPS tracking? I had an item that they received the tracking yesterday, according the to site, and delivered today. I got the tracking number from the shipper on Monday. I tend to believe they picked up the package no later than Wednesday. Why is their tracking so useless? I've also received packages in the past that the web site didn't update as delivered for a few more days.

CatSnak
Live to Ride
Premium Member
join:2001-05-06
Ashland, OR

CatSnak

Premium Member

It's hit and miss and depends on the post office doing the updates. I've had packages where tracking was right on and others where I had no clue what was going on because the tracking was never updated.
BoulderHill1
join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

BoulderHill1 to Kilroy

to Kilroy
I have not really experienced "accurate" tracking with USPS. Part of the problem is that it isn't intended to be a tracking service but rather it is meant for delivery confirmation only.

You get to see when an item was delivered but you will not always see its travels from point A to point B in any sort of guaranteed accuracy.

So as the number is referred to as a "delivery confirmation" and not a "tracking" number per say.

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron

Premium Member

said by BoulderHill1:

So as the number is referred to as a "delivery confirmation" and not a "tracking" number per say.
Exactly. I believe (but am not sure) that the only mail product they offer true tracking on is Express Mail and even that doesn't mean you're going to get the same kind of tracking experience that UPS or FedEx offers.

I understand the frustration, but as far as I can tell, the USPS doesn't have any incentive to offer "real" tracking. Their present offering is "good enough" for most people and with the USPS, "good enough" is, well, just perfect.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

Why is their tracking so useless?
Uhh, because it's run by the government? But don't worry, Obama is going to make your visits to the doctor just as "efficient".

Wednesday I got a package delivered by FedEx. They didn't bother to knock or ring the doorbell, but I did get an email confirmation of delivery. Sure enough, I went to the door and there was my stuff!

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

said by HarryH3:

Wednesday I got a package delivered by FedEx. They didn't bother to knock or ring the doorbell, but I did get an email confirmation of delivery. Sure enough, I went to the door and there was my stuff!
I've had that happen too, both UPS and FedEx. Nothing like having them drop off a couple hundred dollars of electronics on my door step.

Even if the USPS just does delivery confirmation you'd think that they could at least get the pick up information to be a little closer to the actual.

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron

Premium Member

said by Kilroy:

Even if the USPS just does delivery confirmation you'd think that they could at least get the pick up information to be a little closer to the actual.
Change takes motivation. And the USPS isn't known for a-brimmin' over with gung-ho people who are ready to set the world on fire. [shrugs]

This is not to say that they can't deliver packages. Just that the incentive to add in any "extras" (like tracking in a meaningful form) is pretty minimal.

I hear you: I don't like it either and, no, it probably wouldn't take much effort for them to change. But getting an organization like the USPS to change may not be the easiest thing.

You can give it a try, though. Presumably, the mailing address for the Postmaster General is floating around somewhere out there. Write him/her a letter and see what happens.