spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

confusing me

@optonline.net

BRCM_ROUTER

Hello I have been having router problems lately. When I check the basic setup page under host name I see
BRCM_ROUTER I don't think I have ever seen this before.
It's an wrt600n that has run rather well barring the occassional drop outs.

A company opened a few feet from my apartment and I fear they are usuing my connection. What can I do to monitor this situation. Thanks in advance, Harry

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
did you enable security on your wifi as in using anything above wep?

Cudni

confusing me

@optonline.net
I could not my wife uses an older laptop that will not work if wpa is enabled.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
do you have wep enabled at least?

Cudni

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to confusing me
In addition to Cudni's suggestion to at least use WEP, changing the admin password to something instead of the factory defaults will go a long way toward preventing someone else from owning your router.

Also, are you sure that you are actually logging into your router, and not the router next door? You did not say if you were connecting via wireless or ethernet, and I have taken more than one service call where the customer was sure that a neighbor was hijacking their router when in fact the opposite was true.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

jerry666
Premium
join:2002-12-12
Canada

1 edit
reply to confusing me

confusing me

@optonline.net
Ok for sure I'm not logging into there router...they are running a belkin g router.
I am not running the default anything on this router.

jerry 666 if you could elaborate on how to use 2 bands simaltaneously i would really appreciate it.

mikemac

@teksavvy.com
reply to confusing me
I'm also getting the same BRCM_Router -- the only thing I've added is Win7 recently

jerry666
Premium
Canada
are you logging into the router , or the info from windows? BRCM stands for broadcom , which is the chip in the 600n . what do you get when you log onto the router at »:192.168.1.1 ?

mmacmike

@teksavvy.com
I'm going to »192.168.1.1 and it's definitely my router, and it's saying BRCM_Router for some odd frickin reason. I'm in there a lot so I think it might be Win7 that has done something.

jerry666
Premium
Canada

1 edit

mmacmike

@teksavvy.com
Click for full size
Here is where it's saying it - setup tab

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
I assume that's a default name that Linksys used. It's almost certain that you can replace it with some other name.

swhx7
Premium
join:2006-07-23
Elbonia
reply to confusing me
It probably refers to the chipset, Broadcom is common on routers.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to daveinpoway
said by daveinpoway:

I assume that's a default name that Linksys used. It's almost certain that you can replace it with some other name.
Here is a screen shot showing the default hostname (blank entry) used by Linksys for the WRT600N router.

However, the name BRCM_ROUTER is possibly based on the Broadcom chipset, and my assumption would be that some PC on the LAN has used UPnP to assign that name based on a SSDP/UPnP scan which found an unnamed Broadcom chipset router. I suspect that if either of the posters seeing this symptom disabled UPnP on the router and changed the hostname they would no longer see the BRCM_ROUTER hostname being assigned.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

jerry666
Premium
Canada

1 edit
reply to confusing me

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by jerry666:

BCRM IS THE HOST name your ISP sees or needs...
Do you have any documentation to support that both optonline.net and teksavvy.com (the ISPs used by the two posters with the BRCM_ROUTER hostname symptom) do such a thing?
--

salzan
Experienced Optimist
Premium
join:2004-01-08
WA State
reply to jerry666
said by jerry666:

assign each comp you use an ip
Take this a step further and limit the number of IP addresses the router can assign to the amount you have assigned.

jerry666
Premium
Canada

2 edits
reply to NetFixer

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to jerry666
said by jerry666:

BCRM IS THE HOST name your ISP sees or needs.....
Don't think so, I'm on Optimum Online and I don't have "BCRM_Router" in the Host field. I run a wired desktop and a wireless laptop.

--
You can chain my body to the earth, but still my spirit flies!

13,671 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

jerry666
Premium
Canada

2 edits

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by jerry666:

I have no idea why it is there...
Perhaps that is what you should have posted the first time instead of posting your unfounded assumption as if it were a fact.

In a public help forum, posting an assumption or opinion as if it were a fact is to say the least not helpful. Editorial comments should always be labeled as editorial comments.
--

s0m30n3

@telus.net
reply to confusing me
I think the last thing the router would do default, it yell out it's chipset model.

Maybe your tech or install dude did that?

or

Your pwned

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by s0m30n3 :

I think the last thing the router would do default, it yell out it's chipset model.

Maybe your tech or install dude did that?

or

Your pwned
Perhaps you might want to go to »www.upnp.org/resources/default.asp and look at some of the documentation for UPnP in order to find out just what information is available from UPnP enabled devices (and also what can be dynamically changed by a UPnP client).

This abstract from a couple of recent Microsoft UPnP patents provides a brief overview of what information is available from UPnP enabled devices:

»www.patents.com/XML-based-templa···9/en-US/
»www.patents.com/XML-based-templa···4/en-US/
A universal plug and play (UPnP) device makes itself known through a set of processes--discovery, description, control, eventing, and presentation. Following discovery of a UPnP device, an entity can learn more about the device and its capabilities by retrieving the device's description. The description includes vendor-specific manufacturer information like the model name and number, serial number, manufacturer name, URLs to vendor-specific Web sites, etc. The description also includes a list of any embedded devices or services, as well as URLs for control, eventing, and presentation. The description is written by a vendor, and is usually based on a device template produced by a UPnP forum working committee. The template is derived from a template language that is used to define elements to describe the device and any services supported by the device. The template language is written using an XML-based syntax that organizes and structures the elements.
--