spc
uniqs

WantingFIOS
@sbcglobal.net

WantingFIOS to mrkevin

Anon

to mrkevin

Re: FTTH CO and plant pics

Ah neat, I take it Verizon is finally upgrading their back end to fiber instead of copper to fully supplement fiber all the way to the home? Last time I was at a verizon plant, their bankend was still all copper for FIOS.

mrkevin
Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
Premium Member
join:2007-08-07
Aurora, ME

mrkevin

Premium Member

Oh...side note.

This isn't a Verizon CO. we are an independent.
I'm sure they are using some of the same equipment.
I take it Verizon is finally upgrading their back end to fiber instead of copper to fully supplement fiber all the way to the home?
We are, I'm not sure about Verizon.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to WantingFIOS

MVM

to WantingFIOS
said by WantingFIOS :

Ah neat, I take it Verizon is finally upgrading their back end to fiber instead of copper to fully supplement fiber all the way to the home? Last time I was at a verizon plant, their bankend was still all copper for FIOS.
Who cares what the back end is. If it supplies adequit bandwidth, what does it matter if it's copper, fiber, microwave, or tin cups with strings.

WantingFIOS
@sbcglobal.net

WantingFIOS to mrkevin

Anon

to mrkevin
said by mrkevin:

Oh...side note.

This isn't a Verizon CO. we are an independent.
I'm sure they are using some of the same equipment.
I take it Verizon is finally upgrading their back end to fiber instead of copper to fully supplement fiber all the way to the home?
We are, I'm not sure about Verizon.
Ah thanks for clearing that up. Last time I was over doing some work at their facility (about 6 months ago), it was still a copper setup (this was a cost saving measure). Nothing wrong with it, actually slightly lower latency anyways compared to fiber, just as much throughput especially with the short lengths.
said by cdru:

said by WantingFIOS :

Who cares what the back end is. If it supplies adequit bandwidth, what does it matter if it's copper, fiber, microwave, or tin cups with strings.
Wow, sounds like I pushed a button, I never said it was a huge deal, just asking if an upgrade was taking place, since neither I nor my department has heard about it yet. Besides, not much would be gained as of yet with using all fiber as a backed to the network (as of yet).