Search similar:

uniqs
scottlindner
join:2008-07-21
Colorado Springs, CO

scottlindner to kcimpulse

to kcimpulse

Re: frequent disconnects

Heat could affect conductivity of the lines, which would increase the reflective nature of the ends, reduce SNR, or increase signal dispersion (doubtful this is a factor with DSL).

Enjoy your drink and dinner and sleep on it. I find things are always better after a day has passed.

If you spoke to the complex owners could they give you temporary access to the demarcation point? When I first got DSL my line quality in the home was awful. To test the theory I ran an extension cord to the box, brought my laptop and DSL modem out there, and clipped a short length of phone cord to hook up directly to the line terminals to see what kind of connection I could get. That's when I knew I needed to run the Cat5 to the demarc. If the complex would allow you to do the test even if it were temporary, that could tell you a lot. It might be worth asking them if it's possible. Since your resets are so frequently, it shouldn't take very long to determine if there is an improvement.

Scott
demoniacs
join:2007-07-17

1 edit

demoniacs to kcimpulse

to kcimpulse
said by kcimpulse:

I don't know how heat would affect that but it just accured to me heat causes metal to expand and those boxes are out in the sun. So do you think the DSLAMS card would get slightly unseated because of this. But now i am just speculating.
Maybe the heat got into your brain too? j/k

You got a point. Possible but i think its highly unlikely. Or it could be that the cord was exposed to cold during the winter and now the summer fried it and cause some cables to like become brittle and causing a ground somewhere. Could be also returning seasonal animals that made the dslam (or where your cables runs) their hive, nest or cave interrupting your service?

I think i got some heat in my brain for thinking that too.
said by scottlindner:

Enjoy your drink and dinner and sleep on it. I find things are always better after a day has passed.
I would like to second the motion!

dwinut
@qwest.net

dwinut to scottlindner

Anon

to scottlindner
Finally received the mystery modem that Qwest tells me (after four months of intermittent service) will actually support 20mpbs. I will be replacing the Actiontec M1000 with... an Actiontec PK5000.

I don't think we've actually had a drop since they agreed to send me this thing. It looks pretty much like an M1000 with a WiFi antenna and four LAN ports. I'm a little worried that it may have the same silicon inside, extra features aside, making this a waste of time. We'll see.
kcimpulse
join:2009-08-23
Denver, CO

kcimpulse to scottlindner

to scottlindner
So Good News- I just hit 24 Hours of perfect service.
The Tech Free was able to repair my line and so far i have not have one disconnect. While he was out here he did a few things that resolved the problem. Although this doesn't point to one certain thing he did that magically fixed the issue its a starting point to the rest of you for certain things to ask for. The biggest difference we saw was when he replaced an inline BUG or that's what they call it, it is a Coil/ Carbon Fuse. This caused the stop of the echo / variable of DB loss. He also patched me into a different F3 Pair wire that comes to my Condo. On the side of the DSLAM which is a 3M-Box (aka older fiberbox) He bypassed all of the plastic connectors that were falling apart and bypassed the crossbox and patched me straight into the jumper cable. After all of that he moved me to a different shelf just in case that DSLAM shelf was bad. But now it is hard to pinpoint the ultimate fix for my issue but it seems to be going well so far. Although me and my tech do have a feeling that the BUG was the issue. He did say you do not find these BUGS in many homes they are mainly in new Condos and Apts. So Hope this helps some of you i will keep you updated on how my service is.
Scott- How has your service been?

-Casey
kcimpulse

to scottlindner
Also good reads about BUG's / Spiders / Fuses -

»DSL actually *worse* during the day?

»Re: Good SNR, lots of errors

Making me believe that this is the issue that i was having.
scottlindner
Colorado Springs, CO

scottlindner

How ironic. He deBUGged the system and now it's working fine.

My service has been up a continuous 5 days and 7 hours since the tech was out. That isn't a record for these intermittent dropouts so I'm not cheering just yet, but I am upbeat. What happened is I lost service for three days when I cancelled the extra account. This feels very suspicious that my accounts and lines were indeed crossed or jumbled up. I am hopeful now that I have a single line and a single DSL account that my problems will be over. I won't claim victory until I hit two entire billing periods of continuous service (60 days). So I'll be holding onto this discussion for a while.

If I have a problem I will ask if they can remove the BUGs from the system. :P

Scott

PS - How was the beer?
kcimpulse
Denver, CO

to scottlindner
Yea- I am claiming victory quite yet too. Two months seems like a good time frame so i will be checking back here also. But the sad part is my service will be sitting barely used while i am traveling for work for a month starting Monday morning. But maybe i wll open my wireless network to let my less fortunate neighbors have some internet while i am gone, to test the connection.The beer was good, there is nothing like a Fat Tire when you are wiped out. Speaking of Fat Tire if you haven't done the New Belgium tour up in Fort Collins it is defiantly worth the trip up there.

-Casey
scottlindner
Colorado Springs, CO

scottlindner

The disconnections will happen regardless of you using the connection. Both the M1000 and Tomato will tell you how long the current session has been. That's how I check without even digging into the logs.

As for New Belgium. Two years ago when we first moved here my wife and I walked from Coopersmiths, to New Belgium to Odells and back. New Belgium is quite the brewery to tour.

Scott
kcimpulse
Denver, CO

kcimpulse

Yea i thought it was a good tour also. And if you ask for it they will give you an eco tour showing off how enviromently friendly they are. And yea i remote access my systems when i am away to check in on the place via IP camera and i stream my library from home to so it will be used. I did switch back to DD-WRT from tomato though. I just wasnt that happy with how it handled QOS and DD-WRT just feels better to me. Im glad i tried it though for friends that just want an easy firmware i usually point them to tomato.
Quick Question to have you figured out the IP-Tables / Script to access the modem when it is in transparent bridging i know it can be done i just haven't done enough research.
-Casey
scottlindner
Colorado Springs, CO

scottlindner

I haven't played around with iptables in ages. I use Tomato instead of DD-WRT QoS is broken. There are big threads about it on the DD-WRT forums. That's why I switched the Tomato and after making the switch I found a ton of comparisons stating that Tomato always beats DD-WRT. The trade off is that Tomato doesn't have the features DD-WRT does.
scottlindner

scottlindner

7 days of continuous uptime.
kcimpulse
Denver, CO

to scottlindner
Maybe i just got lucky with the new Build Of DD-WRT. They just released a new beta like a week ago and i love it. And it works amazing for VPN since i travel with a FON Router.
-Casey
scottlindner
Colorado Springs, CO

scottlindner

said by kcimpulse:

Maybe i just got lucky with the new Build Of DD-WRT. They just released a new beta like a week ago and i love it. And it works amazing for VPN since i travel with a FON Router.
-Casey
That's probably it. The DD-WRT QoS problem blew up over 3 months ago. I was thinking about trying TomatoVPN, but haven't yet.

How's your up time since the tech was out?

Scott
kcimpulse
Denver, CO

kcimpulse

I'm at 4 Days and counting. Not down for even a min, ahh doesn't it feel good when things work they way they should. I mean i almost forgot what it was like not having to expect hiccups all day long.
I am starting to believe that the BUG "Carbon Fuse" was the issue all along but the DSL tech's were never ment to look for them being the issue. I wish i could have seen what it looked like before he left. Because from everything i have read is that they often cause issues like we were having to many users and with many fuses they are designed to protect the DSLAM during lightning storms. And when i thought back to the weekend that this all started for me it was during a huge storm with hail and tuns of very close lightning. I'm just glad my tech had heard in passing that replacing the Bugs was a good idea and it solves some problems. I just hope this tread is a good read for anyone who is running into these same issues and hopefully we can now point them in some direction.
-Casey
scottlindner
Colorado Springs, CO

scottlindner

I plan on following up with Doug after I am confident my problem is resolved. I will be sure he reads the solutions so he can do what he should do.

Scott
scottlindner

scottlindner

10 days... technically in 4 hours
scottlindner

scottlindner

I'm now tied with my longest up time since the disconnect issue started at 13 days. Only two did I have connections longer than two days. Once was 13 and the other 8. So from here on out I'm breaking new ground since the tech came out.

Scott
kcimpulse
Denver, CO

to scottlindner
Yea i am at a solid 12 Days and counting myself. So looks like we both are on a promising path so far.
trlamb
join:2009-04-25
Portland, OR

trlamb to astadtler

to astadtler
Phone filters were my problem, too. Replacing the 2-1/2 year old filters ended the dropped connections and substantially decreased the static on my telephone line.

When the noise and dropped connections recently recurred, I had to unplug the phone from the Qwest modem to solve the problem.
Expand your moderator at work

KevinP
@qwest.net

KevinP to scottlindner

Anon

to scottlindner

Re: frequent disconnects

I just upgraded to the 7meg DSL tier (which is turning out to be anything but) and am also experiencing frequent disconnects. Like many here, I'm using the craptastic Q1000 as a transparent bridge to a Tomato router, and so far have found that the only way to solve my problem is to power cycle the modem before Tomato will pull an IP, even with Keep Alive available.
kcimpulse
Denver, CO

to scottlindner
Kevin,
Post some logs from your modem and the router with what is happening hopefully we can give you some direction. MY service is now at 19 Days Solid.
-Casey
scottlindner
Colorado Springs, CO

scottlindner

I just hit 22 straight days of service since the tech came out. I never did know what he did, but it took him an hour to do and he used a tone generator on the line to ensure I was set up right. It's highly possible I was moved to a different card at the DSLAM in the process, but I don't know what he did. I also had two DSL accounts and the line and account number were jacked up, so that could have been related as well. I had no physical errors at all.

Scott

dwinut
@qwest.net

dwinut to scottlindner

Anon

to scottlindner
I seem to finally have a resolution, as well. At least, it's been over week without a drop.

The last tech to visit said we had a grounding problem, and that they needed to run a new wire. I don't know how he arrived at that conclusion, but it worked (just took a while, and I'm glad my neighbors don't seem to upset about having the new cable trenched through their back yard). The result is about 5% slower, for some reason, but very stable.

As the tech described it, in my area (older neighborhood in Sandy, UT) the last leg to the house comes from a box buried in the ground, which serves four houses. I guess the original wire would have been about 40 years old. Even the temporary wire (looped along my neighbors' fences and through my back yard) was more stable.