how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

verolom

join:2002-03-23
Reston, VA

802.11N updates that never came

My first draft N router was abandoned by D-Link in disgrace as it was a complete disaster. My second draft D-link router has not received a firmware update now for almost two years and is no longer supported. Considering that it's still working I do not plan on replacing it anytime soon. I'm afraid by this point people have fallen in a technological complacency, even those who would spend top dollar to stay at the edge of technology a few years back.

Zonerider
Zonerider
Premium
join:2004-12-01
united kingd

1 edit
firmware upgrades may be required for interoperability, and I am sure they will continue supporting the draft N after N is ratified. The certification is little more than recognition.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to verolom
"Buy it now and we will send you a firmware update when the spec is completed" Sure. But really, once it’s signed, who will follow it, and which manufacture will break it just to one-up the competition with a new (usless)feature.

Third party firmware provides better product support updates then the manufacturers; not surprising because the manufactures only get paid for hardware (regardless if it works well).

Cutting Edge Obsolescence!
--
DD-WRT httpd vulnerability! Update Now!!: »www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
said by Thane_Bitter:

Cutting Edge Obsolescence!
Yep. pre-B where nothing was compatible »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1···cy_mode), then we have B, proprietary B+, G, proprietary G+, Pre N, N draft 1, N draft 2. Now we have N, how long before we see proprietary N+? Then some patent lobbyists create 802.11 UWB

vinnie97
Premium
join:2003-12-05
US
kudos:1
Shoulda' got an Asus WL-500W...released in 2006 and firmware-upgraded to support the latest draft.