uniqs

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

Official or not

Official or not the best thing I've done for my home network was to ditch 802.11g.
chemaupr
join:2005-06-06
Alexandria, VA

chemaupr

said by Michail:

Official or not the best thing I've done for my home network was to ditch 802.11g.
Now that the N is standard I suspect we will have the same problem we have with G, a super saturated spectrum or those we live in densely populated areas.

The only thing I have wireless in my home network is the laptop. All other devices are wired using Netgears powerline networking devices. They work perfect for me.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by chemaupr:

said by Michail:

Now that the N is standard I suspect we will have the same problem we have with G, a super saturated spectrum or those we live in densely populated areas.

The only thing I have wireless in my home network is the laptop. All other devices are wired using Netgears powerline networking devices. They work perfect for me.
Just switch to the 5Ghz band. It's not crowded there.

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo
join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA

R4M0N

said by aaronwt:

Just switch to the 5Ghz band. It's not crowded there.
Yet...

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL

Phil to Michail

Premium Member

to Michail
said by Michail:

Conversely, I continue to use the G standard without issue.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to chemaupr

Premium Member

to chemaupr
said by chemaupr:
said by Michail:

Don't own a smartphone with WiFi yet?

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

Michail

Premium Member

deleted

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier to R4M0N

Premium Member

to R4M0N
5Ghz is a double-edge sword. Less crowded and capable of higher consumer density because in general the signal won't go as far so having a neighbor on 5Ghz won't be as likely to interfere with yours. The downside is, well, the signal won't go as far so your speed may drop off quicker than the 2.4Ghz as you move away from the AP.

I'm running 802.11N on 5Ghz and there's less interference but it definitely doesn't have the range that it did when I tested using the 2.4Ghz band (running dual-band APs). I stuck with 5Ghz for N because I've got other gear on 802.11g and didn't want it running dual-mode on the same spectrum. I don't have other gear on 802.11a so I can use 5Ghz purely for N.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to chemaupr

to chemaupr
said by chemaupr:

said by Michail:

Better hope you live in the projects with poured concrete walls between neighbors. In a public park in a downtown city center, with free park wifi, I do a scan and get about 500 APs from the surrounding apartment towers. Free park wifi can't be used without a directional antenna.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

My neighborhood isn't densely populated. For the past several years I've only been able to pick up two other APs and they are weak at that.

I suspect what N (on 2.4GHz) did for me was help cover the distance and get through a few walls in the house. I've been happy so far and haven't been screwing around with all kinds of antennas since the upgrade.