Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

4 recommendations

reply to ArrayList

Re: Hmmm...

said by ArrayList:

the point is is that they proved they have the means to do it and are willing to do it. net neutrality takes that job away from them.
AT&T controls the routing within their network and peering routers via something you might have heard of called the IP protocol (TCP and UDP). They have always had the ability to control where traffic flows...everyone has, it's how the internet works.

Net neutrality is a seperate issue and to be quite frank if you can't understand that you shouldn't really comment on it. The issues surrounding net neutrality don't have to do with blocking certain websites (although they can) but rather imparing or giving the ISP some type of unfair advantage that upsets the playing field.

This whole situation is really just being overblown.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

Visit the Judd Family website to see my kids!

SLD
Premium
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA
Whoh....nice bitch-slap, man!

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to Dennis
AT&T is my dumb pipe, i wish that they would stay that way.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by ArrayList:

AT&T is my dumb pipe, i wish that they would stay that way.
I agree...at least in theory.

AT&T is not now, nor has it been since 2003 a dumb pipe. They currently block ports 135, 139 and 445. They've also started blocking port 25 to cut down on spammers. None of these ports have met with any resistance because it was generally accepted that it was to protect the end user.

When an ISP changes the way IP's route for a specific situation (such as this) it is usually alway to mitigate a negative situation. They do it all the time the only difference this time is a group of people noticed and complained.

If every ISP was only a dump pipe (which again in theory I agree with) then the internet would be basically unusable. DDoS attacks, man in the middle and good old fashioned UDP packets of death would run rampant and we'd all still be on AOL 3.0.

There needs to be a balance between protection and nurturing...almost like being a good parent. That's going to be a difficult balance for any ISP.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

Visit the Judd Family website to see my kids!