subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to David

Re: From what it looks like here:

»www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/07/4chan/
Now 4chan’s founder, Moot, has admitted the whole thing was kind of his fault.

“For the past three weeks, 4chan has been under a constant DDoS attack,” Moot wrote in an afternoon update. “We were able to filter this specific type of attack in a fashion that was more or less transparent to the end user. … Unfortunately, as an unintended consequence of the method used, some Internet users received errant traffic from one of our network switches. A handful happened to be AT&T customers.”

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by fatness:

“For the past three weeks, 4chan has been under a constant DDoS attack,” Moot wrote in an afternoon update. “We were able to filter this specific type of attack in a fashion that was more or less transparent to the end user. … Unfortunately, as an unintended consequence of the method used, some Internet users received errant traffic from one of our network switches. A handful happened to be AT&T customers.”
This part of his statement brings in to question whether the jerks at 4Chan didn't engineer the mess themselves for the publicity:
quote:
We’re glad to see this short-lived debacle has prompted renewed interest and debate over net neutrality and internet censorship—two very important issues that don’t get nearly enough attention—so perhaps this was all just a blessing in disguise.

Aside from that, I’ll also add that there is some big news due later this week. Keep an eye on the News page, Twitter, and global message for updates.

As always, I can be reached at moot@4chan.org.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
said by FFH5:

This part of his statement brings in to question whether the jerks at 4Chan didn't engineer the mess themselves for the publicity:
You are not the only one thinking that.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to fatness
said by fatness:

Surprise, surprise, surprise.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

cow

@cox.net

1 recommendation

I never thought I would be saying this but I actually side with AT&T here ! Don't get me wrong AT&T has done some pretty shady things in the past. I believe the network engineers involved acted responsibly and did what was necessary to protect the quality of service for its customers. 4chan has admitted that malicious traffic was coming from its network but downplayed the amount of traffic. It has also been shown that other network providers have blocked the site temporarily. I highly doubt that 4chans hands are clean in this matter due to the subject nature discussed on the website.