spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bikesandbooz

join:2009-07-28

News for Philadelphia FIOS availability!

"The first neighborhood for the Verizon upgrade will be Chestnut Hill, followed by Brewerytown, East and West Mount Airy, South Philadelphia and Kensington, Verizon spokeswoman Sharon Shaffer said.

About 500 workers will be upgrading Verizon's network in Philadelphia for FiOS, the company says. The city's first Philadelphia FiOS customers should get the service by late 2009." -Philadelphia Inquirer 5/2009

I've seen the trucks laying fiber around my neighborhood, here in South Philly (19148) and FIOS should be available to SOME South Philly residents by September 2009 by my guess...

I am so tired of dealing with Comcast! They have to be the worst in customer service, IT and just plain competency among their "GED-qualified" service staff I have ever witnessed in such a huge conglomerate corporation. Yeah, the Comcast tower definitely adds something to they skyline, but the presence of the company's monopoly does nothing for us couch potatoes and computer nerds!

FIOS PLEASE HURRY UP!!!

IF ANYBODY has any more updated information about FIOS availability in the INNER CITY of Philadelphia (not the burbs or outskirts, I'm talkin' within 5 miles of City Hall) please post!!

CColon

join:2008-04-20
Philadelphia, PA

I have had conversations with several Verizon construction crews going around South and West Philly and they tell me they are having problems with laying fiber in those West Philadelphia alleyways with all that trash and trees and obstructions. They told me 3-5 years minimum. I work for Comcast. I am not a fan, I just work for them.

jophan
Premium
join:2009-07-12
Jenkintown, PA
reply to bikesandbooz

»webapps.phila.gov/council/attach···5888.pdf
This is the approved franchise agreement. The buildout commitments start around p.57. It's only very general, though. Street by street construction -- you just have to watch for it.

ARKx

join:2005-02-13
Philadelphia, PA
reply to bikesandbooz

Thanks jophan,
I've been looking for a document like this from the city of Philly. Bikesandbooz, I hope this helps, but all I can provide you with is the official VZ PA website; »www.verizon.com/pa from here scroll down to "FTTP Construction Locations" They just posted the list for August 2009. Do a find for Phila, hit enter 2 or 3 times until you get to our county, then search for your street.

Hope this helps,
Alan.

ARKx

Philadelphia, PA
reply to bikesandbooz

Sorry, it appears someone didn't get around to uploading the file, until it's up, just change the path slightly; change the ...080109.pdf to ...070109.pdf, to represent July's list. The complete filename is, PAFTTP080109.pdf

Whoever, is responsible for posting does this every once in a while, and you have to change it, take July for example, they never updated the link from June, so I had to mod the path.

Alan.

JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to ARKx

said by ARKx:

Do a find for Phila, hit enter 2 or 3 times until you get to our county, then search for your street.
Not sure what you're doing there. The pdf is in alphabetical order by town/city (bold & underlined), with the streets under it in alphabetical order. Just scroll down to PHILADELPHIA on page 9 and read the streets column by column across the page.

nowayout

join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

Oy, someone's taking their time on that file upload...

Anxiously awaiting for fiber runs to start in Allentown.

ARKx

Philadelphia, PA
reply to bikesandbooz

FYI, as of last night 8/6/09, the August FTTP list was uploaded, the original link on the PA site works as is, for this month at least. See my first post in this forum.

Alan.

D frey

@davita.com
reply to bikesandbooz

I can't even get it in the burbs....
Verizon said my township (Royersford)
won't let them run lines.
This sucks....
Stuck with DSL and 3M only not even the the 7M
option go to Comcast and screwed even more

hata28

join:2008-12-16
Philadelphia, PA
reply to bikesandbooz

Just got this on the MAIL

GREAT NEWS!
FiOS IS ON THE WAY.

Verizon FiOS is coming to your Area.

"WOW" is such an Understatement.

So fast is here soon, unbelievable| They just got approval beginning of this year. So I can say good bye to my Comcast Extreme Speed Soon and most of all the 250GB CAP.
Anybody else got this mail too?

ARKx

Philadelphia, PA
reply to bikesandbooz

Hi hata28,
Nope, we haven't gotten the mailing yet, but I'll be on the lookout for it now. Thanks. Oh btw, where exactly are you in the City of Philly? An intersection and/or neighborhood would help.

-Alan.

hata28

Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by ARKx:

Hi hata28,
Nope, we haven't gotten the mailing yet, but I'll be on the lookout for it now. Thanks. Oh btw, where exactly are you in the City of Philly? An intersection and/or neighborhood would help.

-Alan.
I am @ S.Philly , between Oregon & Synder. Like the OP said he saw some works @ his neighborhood 19148 in July and his prediction is September, I am guess is anytime soon, since I received this flyer on Friday.
I 've the Comcast Extreme 50/10 on a promotion $69.99, speed is nice, but always worry about the 250 GB cap. Now, we have a choice of FiOS. But for the speed of 50/20, FiOS cost about $140 just for the Internet , am I right? Let see how's going.....

ARKx

Philadelphia, PA

Click for full size
downloadCityOfPhilly···OSTV.pdf 3,015,753 bytes
Full ~96pg. Franchise doc. w./ City of Philly & VZ
Excellent! Thanks for the info hata28. Our street finally made the September list, and several other streets served by our CO, Regent or PHLAPARE according to BBR, have popped up in previous lists namely July '09s. I posted a FiOS predicted pin in our gen. vacinity, stating a field tech. said our CO will be lit up Dec. '09, but we'll see that's probably 1st qtr. 2010. Let us know when you can finally order and/or actually place your order.

BTW, have you seen the post regarding the FiOS TV Franchise aggreement for the City of Philly? I attached it, see pages 57, 61, 63, & 67+ if interested.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to hata28

WOW. that's my old neighborhood.

My Grandmom used to live in the 100 Blk of Jackson St near the park.

I used to spend most of my summers with her when I was but a lad back in the 80's. I can remember watching fights break out in the park all the time. It was awesome.

A long long long long long time ago I lived in the corner house at Front & Ritner Sts.

Congrats on getting the service soon, I've had it a month and I love it.
--
Petty people are disproportionably corrupted by petty power…

ARKx

Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to bikesandbooz

Click for full size
Danella Crew with Conduit at Gaul & Allegheny
We finally are seeing signs of FiOS moving in. As I said in a previous post our street finally made it to the Sept. '09 list. Well, here we were today 2:00 and earlier probably, at Gaul & Allegheny with a crew wiring our street up with FiOS conduit ONLY, it's a first step. I believe they stopped at our block, they appear to have just run the conduit to Allegheny Ave. and stopped for today.

I asked one of the guys there about and they said it was FiOS and it would be available next year(2010). A month or two ago I saw a Verizon line crew installing the fiber-optic cable aerially at Large & Bleigh in the NE; one of them said it would be about 3 months to order service after they finished up. 2 more crews would follow them; the splicing and diagnostic crews. Things are looking good for 1st qtr '10.

hata28

Philadelphia, PA
reply to bikesandbooz

FIOS is available and ready for installation at my area.

They called me a moment ago, offers wavied of installation fee.

phone, tv, internet 25/15 @ $122 for first 6 month thereafter $142. And if wanted to upgrade to 50/20 add $30.00.

ARKx

Philadelphia, PA
reply to bikesandbooz

That's excellent news, hata28!

Nothing yet for us from VZ, just the same annoying DirecTV, DSL, oh they've just added Wireless too, bundle offers in the mail, nothing on FiOS yet. I will keep posting as new info becomes available and as it happens. When we finally get it I'll posting a new thread and uploading a full PDF report.

-Alan.

hata28

Philadelphia, PA

In fact, installation is available as early as Dec 2nd, 2009 which they tempted me to sign up and I did, but they need a $250 deposit from me, which sucks! I'm with Comcast for several years and do not need any deposit. Probably, I still had some outstanding amount from previous account.

So I still ON-HOLD for FIOS. Since I'm having a good deal from Comcast Extreme 50/10 for $70.00 a month and no way Verizon can give a good deal for their 50/20.

At least, we have a choice of HSI in our area now.

ARKx

Philadelphia, PA
reply to bikesandbooz

Click for full size
downloadFirstPhillyF···eINQ.pdf 35,426 bytes
Philly Inquirer Official FiOS TV Launch Mon. 11/23
Click for full size
download2009-11-20_V···hMon.pdf 18,859 bytes
FiOS TV Official Launch Mon. 11/23 PDF2
The official Press Conference launch for FiOS TV in; South Philly, Chestnut Hill, and a part of North Philly by Girard College, will take place on Monday 11/23 at ~10:30AM.

BBR article; »Verizon Brings FiOS To Philadelphia

Philly Inquirer; »www.philly.com/philly/business/70443972.html

-Alan.

ARKx

Philadelphia, PA
reply to bikesandbooz

Anyone here who gets FiOS, and any FiOS Techs here who know or will be installing FiOS in the City of Philadelphia; could you tell us which ONTs will be deployed within the City when installs get going? SFH installs. Make and model numbers are what I'm looking for specifically.

I'd like to plan for possible basement install.

Thanks,
Alan.

patspub

join:2005-02-10
Philadelphia, PA
reply to bikesandbooz

What about NE/Philly (Frankford/Mayfair area)?