Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

emidan9

join:2008-05-22

1 edit

Very low SN margin? Very high CRC errors?

Hello everyone, curious problem sort of came out of nowhere for me...was watching a movie on Hulu when all of a sudden it was taking a really, really long time to buffer the next part. I decided to restart my computer. When I reset the computer, my DSL said I had no internet access. Accessed my launchmodem page, and attempted to log in. I got an error "DSL connection is down". Upon further attempts, I gained access to the internet - much to my chagrin, still very slow. So I pulled up my stats:

All Entries

CURRENT MODEM STATUS
DSL Modem Status....... Up
PPP Session Status...... Up
Connection Type......... PPPoE
Time set from............. Network
Time since last boot.... 0 days, 0 hrs: 2 mins: 52 secs

Time last modem selftest.. THU JAN 01 00:00:00 1970
Time last modem result.... PASS

EVENTS
Events are listed starting from the most recent. **********************************************************************

TUE JUL 28 06:41:26 2009 Setting System clock to Network time TUE JUL 28 06:41:26 2009

TUE JUL 28 06:41:26 2009 PPP CONNECTED on VPI 8 VCI 35

TUE JUL 28 06:41:21 2009 Connecting session(0): My Connection due to dsl Restart

TUE JUL 28 06:41:08 2009 PPP DISCONNECTED on VPI 8 VCI 35 : PPP commanded down

TUE JUL 28 06:41:08 2009 Disconnecting session(0): My Connection due to dsl Restart

TUE JUL 28 06:41:00 2009 US Atten: not defined DS Atten: 7.0

TUE JUL 28 06:41:00 2009 US Margin: not defined DS Margin: 6.0

TUE JUL 28 06:41:00 2009 US Tx Power: not defined DS Tx Power: not defined

TUE JUL 28 06:41:00 2009 US DSL Rate: 512 kbits/sec DS DSL Rate: 4128 kbits/sec

TUE JUL 28 06:41:00 2009 WanMgr reports DSL is UP

TUE JUL 28 06:40:45 2009 WanMgr reports DSL is Down

TUE JUL 28 06:39:38 2009 Setting System clock to Network time TUE JUL 28 06:39:37 2009

TUE JUL 28 06:39:33 2009 PPP CONNECTED on VPI 8 VCI 35

TUE JUL 28 06:39:33 2009 Connecting session(0): My Connection due to dsl Restart

TUE JUL 28 06:39:18 2009 US Atten: not defined DS Atten: 9.5

TUE JUL 28 06:39:18 2009 US Margin: not defined DS Margin: 6.0

TUE JUL 28 06:39:18 2009 US Tx Power: not defined DS Tx Power: not defined

TUE JUL 28 06:39:18 2009 US DSL Rate: 512 kbits/sec DS DSL Rate: 4032 kbits/sec

TUE JUL 28 06:39:18 2009 WanMgr reports DSL is UP

TUE JUL 28 06:38:48 2009 Model Number: A90-210030-04

TUE JUL 28 06:38:48 2009 Software Version: VER:01.06.33

TUE JUL 28 06:38:48 2009 Product: WireSpeed Dual Connect Model: NAT Combo

TUE JUL 28 06:38:48 2009 Ethernet A is up : 100 MBps and FULL duplex.

end of diagnostic log file

6.0 is really low, right? Well, if you check statistics, my SN Margin hovers between 4.0 and 4.5! After only 2 minutes of connection, I'm at 3600 CRC downstream errors! I don't even know if it's weird that my SN Margin for upstream is not defined, or that my CRC errors for upstream is ridiculously high too! In the time it's taken me to type this whole post (12 minutes), I'm currently up to 19000 downstream CRC errors!!!!

»img29.imageshack.us/img2 ··· dslt.jpg

Going to Diagnostics, everything is fine until IP testing, I then got the error: "Cannot access ping.fastaccess.com. Please try a different address by using dialog box marked, 'Other' and clicking the [Test] button." So I tested numerous sites, CNN, MSN, etc, all pinged and worked fine. I still cannot ping ping.fastaccess.com.

Speed test from this site is giving strange results. It says I'm downloading at 100KB/s, and uploading at 100KB/s. However, attempting to download a simple text file anywhere on the net shows my download speed at an abysmal 10KB/s. Before this weekend, my max download speed was ~180KB/s, and upload ~35KB/s.

Here are three line test results, the last being the most recent:

»/lineq ··· /2547074
»/lineq ··· /2547218
»/lineq ··· /2547253

This started happening Saturday night. When I went to the Bellsouth Fast Access DSL page, it said they were down for maintenance. I (mistakenly) assumed that meant their ISP was down for maintenance too, hence the slow connection. It didn't get any better yesterday or today, so here I am. Did I miss something silly that I need to tweak to get things working again?

Other things that might be important: I've used BSFA for about 5 or 6 years now, same Westell wire modem (model A90-210030-04), with a Linksys BEFSR41 wire router that I replaced about four months ago. Any other pertinent info you need, let me know. If nothing else, I'd like to gather a little more advice before I call the Help Desk again, as yesterday they told me my issues were caused by the radio tower nearby (which has been there - active - before I moved here 17 years ago.)

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Business..
·Cingular Wireless
Before calling in a service request, you may want to test at the NID or INI to eliminate the possibility of a bad DSL filter/splitter or telephone.

Other than that it looks as if you may either have a circuit/line problem or your modem is dying. If you have an old spare modem lying around (or a friendly neighbor with AT&T DSL service), it would not hurt to eliminate the modem as the source of the problem.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Airwolf7
Premium
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY
kudos:1
reply to emidan9
»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »I am loosing synch. How do I troubleshoot and correct the problem?

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I check modem stats & event logs? What do the numbers mean?

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How to check modem stats, synch rates & speeds from test jack at the NID.

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How to check modem stats, synch rates & speeds from test jack at the INI.

said by emidan9:

6.0 is really low, right?
A SNR Margin of 6dB is extremely low. Any lower than that and you can expect the DSL modem to lose sync with the DSLAM.

said by emidan9:

I don't even know if it's weird that my SN Margin for upstream is not defined...
The Westell 2100 and Westell 2200 modems do not report up stream DSL statistics for some reason. Seems like they did at one time but they don't do it now.

said by emidan9:

Going to Diagnostics, everything is fine until IP testing, I then got the error: "Cannot access ping.fastaccess.com. Please try a different address by using dialog box marked, 'Other' and clicking the [Test] button." So I tested numerous sites, CNN, MSN, etc, all pinged and worked fine. I still cannot ping ping.fastaccess.com.
Not being able to ping ping.fastaccess.com is normal. It did work at one time but it does not now. BellSouth decided to break for some reason.

emidan9

join:2008-05-22
Just thought I'd update this in case anyone else has a similar problem. My cellphone was dead, so I picked up my home phone to call AT&T, and just about had my ear blasted off from the sound of static! I checked all the filters in the house, all the phones had them, etc. Called a phone company friend of mine, and they told me to check the wiring in the box on the side of the house. There was no corrosion or loose connections, but once I walked back into the house, the phone was static-free, and I had a dial tone. I however still had very poor SN margin and huge amounts of CRC errors. Checked the phone in the other room - no dial tone. This room also contains a splitter to hold my DSL line and the satellite line. Taking the splitter out and hooking up the phone line directly into the wall gave me a dial tone. Plugging the DSL into the wall gave me an SN margin of 12.0, more than twice than what it was yesterday evening, and CRC errors are at about 150, but not rising. All in all, it seems like the problem was that splitter. I plan to go out tomorrow and buy a new one and that should fix my problem!

delicaletti

@bellsouth.net
reply to emidan9
this is a line problem (house or outside) that is causing signal loss or degradation. Low noise margin must be 9 or above to have decent service. Lower than 9 is intermittent and no service. If inside could be a loose wire, phone no filter etc... various things. OUtside issue, service drop damaged or f2 facility compromised or f1 which is less likely. Could try a quick fix and ask for a higher noise profile and sometimes the signal when intensified will go right through the problem issue but is not the recommended fix. Your problem is completely fixable with a competent tech. No ecocomp contractor tech,, a real att tech.