spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

saysomething

@optonline.net

Which Gas Station Brand Is Best?

I always fill up at Exxon-Mobil, due to being a "brand name station", and figuring they would have the best technology to make sure water doesn't get into the gas, etc.

Are there any drawbacks going to non "brand name" gas stations, that are obviously cheaper? For instance, is going to Exxon-Mobil better (or worse) than Hess, Sunoco, BP, Shell, and even the no name, generic gas stations?

I'm interested in finding out if there is a difference in the actual gas you get from different brand stations. Any insight and input is appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers. For me personally, I avoid Exxon. I've not had problems with their gas, but have heard of others who have. We have Wawa gas here at very good rates and we use that with never a problem. Other brands I will use are Citgo, BP and Shell.

I can almost guarantee that at least one person will reply back that they don't like one of the types of gas I use. It's just like car make selection; everyone has their personal favorite.

matt5

join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY
reply to saysomething
Brand name / tech has nothing to do with water getting in the gas, its all in what is added detergent wise, etc, to the fuel that may vary from brand to brand.

Try the different local stations, see what you thinks best.

Mchart
First There.

join:2004-01-21
Kaneohe, HI
reply to saysomething
Whatever I can find that isn't E10 blend. Which is impossible to do in some areas of the country.
--
THIS IS SPENCER. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - I HAVE JOE. RETURNING TO BASE.

Waterbug

join:2008-03-30
reply to saysomething
Back in the '50s and '60s there was a lot of difference in gas brands. Not anymore. Gas formulations are now heavily regulated. They even change by the season. The "off brands" don't refine their own gasoline. They buy it from the major refineries. One brand may hype "STP Brand" additives, but everyone else has basically the same additives made by STP or another major chemical company.

Retired6
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
reply to saysomething
Chevron is #1 here, meng.

»www.chevron.com/

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to seaquake
said by seaquake:

Other brands I will use are Citgo, BP and Shell.

Just keep going if you see these (even if the color schemes look warm and familiar):

»englishrussia.com/?p=1568
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX
reply to saysomething
I always thought Exxon being the best but my friends kept saying that Shell is.

Now, i just fill up at Costco..

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to saysomething
Shell V power is the best.

Close 2nd is Exxon premium.

Those are the only 2 I've put it my car. Tried a few others, Hess, Ghetty, BP but didn't like them.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

CatSnak
RIP Splashy - We miss you
Premium
join:2001-05-06
Lakeside, CA
reply to saysomething
I always fill up at Costco. Never had any issues with their gas.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to saysomething
Sunoco "Dial your Octane" Unleaded, Unocal 76 100 Octane unleaded (blue) and Amoco Premium Unleaded White Gas are/were the best for engines with C/R of 9.5 to 1 or higher. Don't know what is available anymore.

Now it is all conglomerated and it is from the pipeline where the only difference is what additive package is added to the truck that fills up to make the delivery to a particular retailer. That's about it.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Ammler
Premium
join:2005-04-19
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to saysomething
I am partial to BP, but I'd gladly take AMOCO back any day!

I stay away if at all possible from Sunoco and Citgo, as well as generic brands.

My Blazer use to drink Sunoco gas like water, Amoco worked best. The Jeep that replaced the Blazer seems to run just fine on BP as well. Don't know how the Jeep likes Sunoco, but I don't care to find out either.

Citgo, well just because....

I feel the generic brands have less detergents in them as the name brands do.

In the end it all comes down to personal choice.

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI
said by Ammler:

The generics buy their fuel from the major refiners. The only difference is they aren't paying to use the brand name. Basically the big oil companies are selling private label to the small guys. You may not know which oil company provided it (and it may change from shipment to shipment) but it will be from some major refiner and have the proper detergent additives.

The bottom line is that all gasoline is good due to federal regulations. Chances are it all comes from the same terminal regardless of brand.
--
The Mogambo Guru economic newsletter, an avocational exercise to heap disrespect on those who desperately deserve it.

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI
reply to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

Sunoco "Dial your Octane" Unleaded, Unocal 76 100 Octane unleaded (blue) and Amoco Premium Unleaded White Gas are/were the best for engines with C/R of 9.5 to 1 or higher. Don't know what is available anymore.
Here's a link to finding Sunoco 100 octane street legal racing gas.

»www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consumer/···cations/
--
The Mogambo Guru economic newsletter, an avocational exercise to heap disrespect on those who desperately deserve it.

stev32k
Premium
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast

3 recommendations

reply to saysomething
I've designed oil refinery processes for 20 years and there is a big difference. Any of the major brands like Shell, Exxon, BP, or Chevron are OK. Some of the off brands are OK and some are not, but I would never put any of the secondary brands in my car.

There is very little difference in the major brands apart from the additives that are blended in. The vast majority of gas is transported from the refinery to local distribution points via pipelines. In several areas of the country several refiners will use a common pipeline to transport their products to remote storage facilities. So brands such as shell, BP, exxon, etc are mixed in the pipeline. There are agreements as to the quality of the gas that goes into these common lines. If Chevron ,for example, puts a 100 gallons of fuel in the pipeline from the refinery at Pascagoula, MS they are entitled to remove a 100 gallons from a distribution point in Sioux City, IA even though their fuel never went to Iowa. So even if you buy shell gas it may have been made by Chevron. The company specific additives are added at the remote distribution points and is the only thing different between major brands.

These distribution agreements are why it is possible for shell (or any other refiner) to sell fuel in places where it would otherwise be uneconomical because of transportation costs.

Most (but not all) of the secondary refiners are not part of this distribution agreement because their fuel does not meet the quality standards.

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to saysomething
It depends on each individual car in my experience. I keep records on my fill-ups I have tried Mobil, Shell, BP. I refuse to use Citgo and Speedway for different reasons which I won't go into here. I try 4 or 5 fill-up on each brand and drive the same route everyday while using each brand and then just look at the numbers and find which one gives me the best mile/dollar.

My 2004 F-250 got better MP/D on BP.
My 2009 Vibe also gets better on BP.
My 2008 Edge seems to do better on Mobil.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
reply to saysomething
I fill up at Chevron, but since they are few and very far apart here I will also use Shell and BP.

1. Chevron
2. BP
3. Shell
--
20/20 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to saysomething
I think one of my criteria is that the gas station look decent on the outside (I never go in). If it looks rundown and like crap, then they may not take as good care of their equipment.

Also, if there is no pay at the pump, I drive away.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to saysomething
This certainly has been discussed to death in the past. You may want to search for _long_ threads on this same question.

I'm just waiting for someone to bring up the TTG crap again.

Oil is sent to refineries. They refine it into gasoline and all the stations in the area fill up with this _same_ gas. It's the additives that is the only difference. From what I understand, the truck stops and the additives are placed into the tanker. One can always argue that this make a difference... but 1) you are never going to know who adds what and how much and 2) you probably should not be relying on the additives put in gasoline by the stations to do much.

I like to use a _good_ cleaner such as something with Techron in it every time I change my oil.

I'd agree that gasoline w/ethanol is going to yield more power but many area require that it be in all gasoline.

Then there is always the marketing crap that Shell is trying to sell... or have they already given up on that?

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to stev32k
said by stev32k:

I've designed oil refinery processes for 20 years and there is a big difference.
I'll give you that... I'm sure there is a big difference in the design of different refineries processes.... just not that this makes any difference int he gas from one station to the next in the same area. After all, they are all getting the same gasoline from the same refinery.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to saysomething
I've heard that the most important factor in gas is that you should go to a station that sells a lot of gas, so it's fresh and less likely to have contamination from moisture and other factors.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
said by mityfowl:

I've heard that the most important factor in gas is that you should go to a station that sells a lot of gas, so it's fresh and less likely to have contamination from moisture and other factors.
I remember reading not to fill up when the truck is there filling the tanks as it upsets sediment in the tanks. Not sure how true that is, personally i don't think it makes much of a difference.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to saysomething
I have used Citgo, Exxon, Speedway, Kroger, Chevon, Marathon - no problems with ANY of them and none produced any better mpg than the other.

A busy station that is kept up with a major name - I tend to shy away form any brand I do not know. The ones I go to are pretty much everywhere so the decisions are usually pretty easy.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

In the Chicago area it can make a difference on where they get their gas. Some stations get gas from the Texas pipeline and some from the Chicago area refineries. I try to stay away from stations that get their gas from Texas if possible. They ship that gas through the lines and when they change from 87 octane to say 91 octane in the line it is separated by water. 99% of the time they will get all of the water contaminated gas separated away from the good gas. But that 1% causes hell when it gets to the stations.
Getting back to what I said earlier about not using Speedway gas, in the mid-90's they used to get gas from Texas not sure if they still do or not. I was one of the lucky customers to get bad gas from two different Speedway stations and had to have my truck towed twice in less than one week and have the tank siphoned dry.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

Siko
Premium
join:2006-11-27
Mechanicsburg, PA
reply to saysomething
The best station is the cheapest station.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to saysomething
I tend to avoid ExxonMobil only because of the environmental damage they did. I know nothing about the gas, I just choose not to support them financially.

With that said, where I live I hit up BP and Shell. Outside of this area, I'll go to a Chevron or Sunoco.
--
"Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy." - George Carlin

dustman81

join:2002-05-28
Tallmadge, OH
reply to Ammler
said by Ammler:

I am partial to BP, but I'd gladly take AMOCO back any day!

I stay away if at all possible from Sunoco and Citgo, as well as generic brands.

My Blazer use to drink Sunoco gas like water, Amoco worked best. The Jeep that replaced the Blazer seems to run just fine on BP as well. Don't know how the Jeep likes Sunoco, but I don't care to find out either.

Citgo, well just because....

In the end it all comes down to personal choice.
You realize that BP bought Amoco? So when you use BP, you're using Amoco.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to saysomething
The brand-X stations seem to appear more often on the lists of violators from the Weights and Measures people. Violations include pumps not delivering the amount of gas they claimed to and regular gas being sold as premium.

I use Exxon and Shell. Years ago, my car would knock every time I got gas at BP.
--
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to VegasMan
Lukoil, Wawa, and possibly Getty had an incident here recently where dozens (hundreds?) of cars had to be towed because they filled multiple tank trucks with water instead of gasoline.
--
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

1 edit
reply to Waterbug
said by Waterbug:

Back in the '50s and '60s there was a lot of difference in gas brands. Not anymore. Gas formulations are now heavily regulated. They even change by the season. The "off brands" don't refine their own gasoline. They buy it from the major refineries. One brand may hype "STP Brand" additives, but everyone else has basically the same additives made by STP or another major chemical company.
I agree with you.

Here on Long Island New York, gas seems to be distributed by local delivery companies. The gas delivery company's trucks deliver to all gas stations, both branded and non branded. Even Hess uses them. The same truck delivers to our local Exxon and then goes 200 yards and pulls into a non branded Pit Stop and delivers there.

I think gasoline is also pooled into a common pipe from the refinery. If an oil company puts in X amount they can pull out the same amount the other end. Of course they do not get the same gas as they put in. This was all explained on a TV documentary a few years ago. Gas is half manufacturing and half a marketing business.

Edit: I do know that a few years ago there was a rash of non branded stations locally that had doctored their pumps to short deliver. I am sure branded companies would never do this. I sold credit card processing services for a while and gas stations do vast $ amounts but make very little profit so cheating is or was prolific.