Search similar:

uniqs

l1o2l
@sbcglobal.net

l1o2l

Anon

ZyXEL P645 + SBC/AT&T Internet service

Hi,
When I plug in the modem dsl line and cross over to computer, the LEDs blink up but ACT blinks or stays on for a few seconds and the DSL LED doesn't light up at all.

My DSL line is fine as I'm able to use the original provided modem, Speedstream 5100.

I'm able to telnet into the modem and found out it has:
Name:test
Routing:
V2.50 (FF.0)
ADSL Chipset Vendor: Alcatel, Version 3.6.70
Standard:G.DMT

In System Status, the WAN:

Line Status: Wait for Init --> Down and it repeats
Upstream Speed: 0 kbps
Downstream Speed: 0 kbps

Any help will be appreciated
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

The P645 needs to be set so that:

VPI= 0 (most AT&T areas) or 8 (some AT&T regions)

VCI= 35

If this modem was previously used for some other ISP, it probably needs to be reconfigured.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by daveinpoway:

The P645 needs to be set so that:

It may or may not have the correct VPI/VCI pair (aka Virtual Circuit), but that will not prevent the Modem from having or getting a solid green DSL LED. Something else is wrong to cause that.

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt
join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI

1 edit

LBDSL to l1o2l

to l1o2l
I think, and I'm going my memory as I don't have time to research, but I want to say the old ZyXEL's needed a phone cable to switched the pins, from line 1 to line 2, or the phone jack to be re-wired as such.

Meaning most current modems, are set to use line one (center 2 pins), but the ZyXEL is set to use line 2, the outer 2 pins or a 4 pin wire.

Also, this thread may need to be moved, because if you have SBC/at&t DSL, this shouldn't be in the Covad area.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

I have a P643 (the same vintage as the P645, or perhaps even older), and it uses the center 2 pins (Line 1) of the phone jack.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Correct, the center two pins are Line 1 and the next outer two pins are Line 2. Most DSL Modems only have two pins, but there are some with 4 pins though (those pesky exception to general rule breakers, ).

daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to l1o2l

Premium Member

to l1o2l
From the P645 manual:

8.3 Problems with the WAN Interface:

Troubleshooting the ADSL Connection:

PROBLEM: Initialization of the ADSL Connection Failed

CORRECTIVE ACTION:

1) Check the cable connections between the ADSL port and the wall jack. The DSL LED on the front panel of the Prestige should be on.

2) Check that your VPI, VCI, type of encapsulation and type of multiplexing settings are the same as what you collected from your telephone company and ISP.

3) Restart the Prestige. If you still have problems, you may need to verify your VPI, VCI, type of encapsulation and type of multiplexing settings with the telephone company and ISP.

l1o2l
@sbcglobal.net

l1o2l to l1o2l

Anon

to l1o2l
Thanks guys, I just checked the RJ-11 cable. I only have 2 pins.
For my VPI/VCI settings, it's 0/35.

So where would I find a telephone cable that would have 4 pins and have the wires arranged like that?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by l1o2l:

So where would I find a telephone cable that would have 4 pins and have the wires arranged like that?
There are no pre-made cables I've ever seen that are line 1 to line 2 swapped, you would need a line swapper adapter unless you make your own cable and can swap the wires.

S-L1/L2 Dual-Line Swapper
»www.excelsus-tech.com/in ··· =1747012
quote:
Handy adapter switches Line 1 and Line 2. Intended for use with DSL modems designed to connect to Line 2 of your phone service. This adapter lets you connect the modem to Line 1

Doctor Olds

1 edit

Doctor Olds to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
said by daveinpoway:

From the P645 manual:

8.3 Problems with the WAN Interface:

Troubleshooting the ADSL Connection:

PROBLEM: Initialization of the ADSL Connection Failed

CORRECTIVE ACTION:

1) Check the cable connections between the ADSL port and the wall jack. The DSL LED on the front panel of the Prestige should be on.
Yes, that is the actual Virtual Circuit connection to talk to the DSLAM and Access Concentrator, which can't happen until there is DSL Sync first. The VPI/VCI can be anything (even the correct values) and if there is DSL Sync the DSL LED will go solid green, but you would not be able to connect to the ISP unless the VC is correct. Otherwise, it will not show a solid Green DSL LED if there is no signal on line 1 and line 2 isn't swapped in the wall jack, or with a line swapper so no matter what you change the VPI/VCI setting to it will not sync due to the missing signal.
Doctor Olds

Doctor Olds to l1o2l

Premium Member

to l1o2l
said by l1o2l:

Thanks guys, I just checked the RJ-11 cable. I only have 2 pins.
How many pins does the DSL Modem have?
l1o2l
join:2009-08-01
San Francisco, CA

l1o2l to l1o2l

to l1o2l
My modem has 4 pins but only the middle two are used. I checked using a multimeter, the middle two pins.

I first then swapped the Red and Green wires by cutting a cable in half and reconnecting them, didn't work.

Then, I found a RJ - 11 cable which has the exact same wiring as Doctor Olds' diagram. But no luck.

Finally I opened the telephone jack at the wall and found out the following
My line 2 is not wired, the two cables that come out of the wall are severed. Only my line 1 is connected.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by l1o2l:

My modem has 4 pins but only the middle two are used. I checked using a multimeter, the middle two pins.

I first then swapped the Red and Green wires by cutting a cable in half and reconnecting them, didn't work.

Then, I found a RJ - 11 cable which has the exact same wiring as Doctor Olds' diagram. But no luck.

Finally I opened the telephone jack at the wall and found out the following
My line 2 is not wired, the two cables that come out of the wall are severed. Only my line 1 is connected.
Temporarily swap the line 2 wires out with the line 1 wires. Remove the line 1 wires first of course.

The image I posted is a normal cable "line 1 to line 1" and is not a swapped cable. A swapped cable would have Yellow on the outside going to the Green position inside and Black on the outside going to the Red position on the inside.
l1o2l
San Francisco, CA

l1o2l to l1o2l

to l1o2l
Click for full size
Okay, so here's a diagram of the wall connection

With my normal dsl, connection it's fine on line 1. So would there be any signal on line 2?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Sorry, mis-understood. Thought you had DSL on line 2 in the house. Ignore swapping the phone line wires in the Wall Jack if the DSL is working with one Modem on line 1. DSL signal would not be on the line 2 wires in the Wall Jack if that is the case.

You need to get the DSL to line 2 on the ZyXEL DSL Modem if the DSL LED does not show solid green the way it is setup now for line 1. To do that requires either the line swapper or a custom cable from the Wall Jack to the Modem.

HTH
l1o2l
San Francisco, CA

l1o2l to l1o2l

to l1o2l
Click for full size
Basically r+g --> outer two wires
l1o2l

l1o2l to l1o2l

to l1o2l
Or can I connect both the R+G and B+Y to the R+G terminals? Would that short anything out?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds to l1o2l

Premium Member

to l1o2l
Forget about the Wall Jack.

The end of the cable going into the DSL Modem Jack needs to look like this below while the other end in the Wall Jack stays original and untouched...

said by borrowed from here :
Addressing the L2 (more complex) end of the wire first, carefully twist the Yellow/Green pair together so that Yellow conductor ends up in the center. Then twist the Red/Black pair so that Black similarly ends up in the center right next to Yellow. Looking at the 4 wires, you should now have them laid out as Red, Black, Yellow, Green (or Green, Yellow, Black, Red if you're looking at it from the other side).
l1o2l
San Francisco, CA

l1o2l to l1o2l

to l1o2l
Since I don't have any tools to create my own RJ - 11 cable, can I just connect the cables.

Wall --> Regular 2 pin cable --> switch them to outside --> modem?

Red to yellow
Green to black

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Cut a short cable in half and then make the cross-over change in the middle of the cable so that line 1 is swapped going into line 2 pins of the Modem Jack...

Inner two wires of the Wall Jack "plugged in" cable to the outer two wires plugged in at the Modem Jack.
l1o2l
San Francisco, CA

l1o2l to l1o2l

to l1o2l
Click for full size
I tried that, it didn't work.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds
Pardon my confusion, but it was originally stated that the SpeedStream 5100 modem worked fine. If it was able to function without various phone-line switching adapters, shouldn't the P645 work without these adapters, also?

One thing that definitely would have helped with the ZyXEL manual was for them to say:

A) If the DSL light is out, check these things.

B) If the DSL light constantly flashes, check these.

c) If the DSL lights steady Green, but there is no connectivity to the ISP, this is what you need to check.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to l1o2l

Premium Member

to l1o2l
said by l1o2l:

I tried that, it didn't work.
OK, the Speedstream works fine on L1 (Line 1). Correct?

The ZyXEL doesn't work on L1 (Line 1) pins or on L2 (Line 2) pins in the Modem. The DSL LED stays dark, correct?

Based on those results, the ZyXEL is bad or defective or has broken solder joints inside.

Where did the ZyXEL come from? Does it have any warranty?
l1o2l
San Francisco, CA

l1o2l to l1o2l

to l1o2l
Yes, the dsl light doesn't light up.
At the RJ-11 connection, I checked for broken solder joints
lines 1 lead to a coil 2 connections R+G
lines 2 lead to two small rectangle things 2 connections B+Y

Could it be the Firmware of the modem? Because I've FF.0, whereas the most up to date one is FF.4, well for my modem.
A friend gave me the modem, and I doubt that after 8 years there's still warranty.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

I think its dead. You can try updating Firmware, it sure can't make it not connect since it won't connect now.
l1o2l
San Francisco, CA

l1o2l to l1o2l

to l1o2l
Well, where would I find the firmware? I tried a Google search but no luck.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Did you try the link at the top of the page? Otherwise I don't know.

l1o2l
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

l1o2l to l1o2l

to l1o2l
Yeah, I checked that. It seems like my modem is an older version that does not match the firmware they posted. D:

Thanks for you help.

Would the inability to establish a PPPoE connection have to do with the dsl unable to link up?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by l1o2l:

Yeah, I checked that. It seems like my modem is an older version that does not match the firmware they posted. D:

Thanks for you help.

Would the inability to establish a PPPoE connection have to do with the dsl unable to link up?
PPPoE is way after DSL Sync. No DSL Sync, no DHCP or PPPoE connection is possible. In other words, you must have the DSL Sync before any further steps can happen.

Try the ZyXEL Forum for Firmware assistance.

HTH
l1o2l
San Francisco, CA

l1o2l

Oh, I didn't realize that. Haha. I'll try contacting ZyXEL first, then I'll try the forum.