spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

LAME FIOS radio spot

Driving in this morning I heard a really LAME FIOS spot.

This guy is on talking to some "noob" about the benefits of FIOS and is talking about faster upload speeds and 20/20. He says "you can upload an entire 20MB photo album in 5 seconds, that's almost twice as fast as cable".

First, I thought the "almost twice as fast" line jumped out...because you're basically saying it's 5 seconds versus say 9 (i.e. not quite 10).

Second....is that really their sales pitch? 5 seconds versus 9 seconds? Seemed extremely lame to me for a couple of reasons.

First, your average user is not going to switch services for 4 seconds. It's an example, but isn't there possibly a better one? Use a larger photo album....use video as an example...something to call out the speed difference other than a few seconds. Your average person is not going to make the leap to think "wow I've got 20GBs to upload so I'll really be saving many minutes".

Second, upload speed is way down on the list of things people look for. Most users browse, check email, and if they xfer files they're mainly downloading (mp3s). Not saying people don't upload photos and other things...but it's not the norm and for those that do, it's much less frequent.

Just thought it was a weak pitch given how GREAT FIOS is all around.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine

Third -- they're seriously underselling it. I don't know any cable company that's offering 10 Mbps up, do you? 20 Mbps isn't "almost twice as fast" as cable, it's many times faster -- probably around ten times the best upload speed I typically see offered on cable nowadays.
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

Good point. No I don't know what cable is offering...they may have gone with the max you can get through cable??? Anyway, probably a good ad for a technical web site or trade magazines but not for the general public.
synapse2
join:2006-01-30
united state

synapse2

Half of Comcast is DOCSIS 3.0 so their flagship is 12Mbps and can offer up to 50/5Mbps service, which is why they are only able to market the 4 second difference....
Expand your moderator at work