Search similar:

uniqs

Stangs55
@sbcglobal.net

Stangs55

Anon

DGL-4500 Official Firmware 1.21 Released

»www.dlink.com/products/? ··· 00&tab=1

Just installed it...we'll see how it goes....not sure what's changed from the beta though.

Of note, I was unable to restore my backup config file that I saved immediately before installing 1.21.

Puffnstuff
join:2008-04-12
Jacksonville, FL

Puffnstuff

Nothing has changed they just let the beta become official. Theres a thread over at d-link on why they did this.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Stangs55

Premium Member

to Stangs55
said by Stangs55 :

Just installed it...we'll see how it goes....not sure what's changed from the beta though.

Of note, I was unable to restore my backup config file that I saved immediately before installing 1.21.
Yup they made announcement about it in that beta thread. It fixes everything supposedly but the lockup (like the lockup is supposed to be the least important thing...)
travanx
join:2002-01-15
Altadena, CA

travanx to Stangs55

to Stangs55
Has anyone tried this yet? I want to upgrade to the new firmware but am scared this will mess up my router. Having trouble connecting a new Nokia phone to the wifi, even though my Blackberry works through the wifi. I am on the firmware right before the problem beta one came out.

Rax
Premium Member
join:2003-11-13
Floral Park, NY

Rax

Premium Member

I would not upgrade to anything 1.20 and up until they make sure the issue is fixed so if you have under 1.20 just stay with that cause you cant downgrade once you go over 1.20 so play it safe.

cyclatron
@rr.com

cyclatron to Stangs55

Anon

to Stangs55
When I got my DGL-4500 off eBay, the user advertised it as new (it was not and was missing net cords and manuals). I didn't think too much of it, if it worked. I fired it up and it kept having problems saving settings. I upgraded firmware to 1.20 and it's been on without reboot for 1 month plus. Today it froze, but my net streaming kept going, (it didn't actually reboot till a tapped a button). I thought what the heck, the new firmware v1.21 could only be better. Wrong. After installing it, my computer's Ethernet kept losing it's connection. I immediately went back to v1.20 and the router is back to rock solid again. Go figure.

Rax
Premium Member
join:2003-11-13
Floral Park, NY

Rax

Premium Member

mine dies after a day when I use it alot with 1.20 but I am on a few days with 1.21 and seeing if it works better

Puffnstuff
Jacksonville, FL

Puffnstuff to Stangs55

to Stangs55
Strangely enough on my last run with the a1 on 1.21 my router stayed up just over 10 days before it locked up. That was the longest stretch ever with the 1.2x fw as it usually locked up somewhere between 2-4 days and never past 4 days until that run. I am very disappointed with d-link and how they've handled the problems of the dgl-4500.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Stangs55

Premium Member

to Stangs55
said by Stangs55 :

It depends on how data you pump through it...the more data the less uptime it would appear. This is what I had experienced with it.
MLGTWISTED
join:2007-01-19
Melville, NY

MLGTWISTED to Stangs55

to Stangs55
One thing is for sure, they took the annoying loggin away so thats made me happy, not sure how many other changes they made from the beta version.
MLGTWISTED

MLGTWISTED to Puffnstuff

to Puffnstuff
said by Puffnstuff:

Nothing has changed they just let the beta become official. Theres a thread over at d-link on why they did this.
I looked for a thread and couldn't seem to find it, would you be able to provide the link please?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

»forums.dlink.com/index.p ··· =6403.30

The thread has been locked by D-link. It would appear they have no intentions of going forward with any additional fixes or if they do they will cloak them under another thread. We're going forward now (for those interested). I'm on hold with the site for a few days. I need to integrate forums into it. Wasn't gonna do that but I think its needed.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to Stangs55

Premium Member

to Stangs55
What's everyone's status?
MLGTWISTED
Melville, NY

MLGTWISTED

said by BHNtechXpert:

What's everyone's status?
Wireless N's still not working as intended, wireless G is fairly decent, not really having any issues on G.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Stangs55

Premium Member

to Stangs55
Is it me or does it appear that D-link has abandoned helping people with firmware destroyed units? No recent posts by mods...nothing.

Lt Belspur
join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur

ispgeek

I had to dump my DGL-4500 last week and put the Actiontec router back in. (My god I did what ) I could not handle having to restart the D-Link 2-3 time a day for the wireless to work.

I guess its time to file with the BBB and look for a Dual Band Router.

I wish I could find a Linksys WRT600N

Puffnstuff
Jacksonville, FL

Puffnstuff to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
It looks like they're being quiet in hopes that this will blow over and let them off the hook. Many people will go buy another router rather than stand up to them and I believe that they're counting on that. When my a2 goes bad I'll be shopping for another brand myself.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Puffnstuff:

It looks like they're being quiet in hopes that this will blow over and let them off the hook. Many people will go buy another router rather than stand up to them and I believe that they're counting on that. When my a2 goes bad I'll be shopping for another brand myself.
Nobody is gonna let them off the hook. We've got a Christmas surprise for them...

RobNyc
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY

RobNyc to Lt Belspur

Premium Member

to Lt Belspur
said by Lt Belspur:

ispgeek

I had to dump my DGL-4500 last week and put the Actiontec router back in. (My god I did what ) I could not handle having to restart the D-Link 2-3 time a day for the wireless to work.

I guess its time to file with the BBB and look for a Dual Band Router.

I wish I could find a Linksys WRT600N
Do what I did..
buy the new Apple Dual-Band Airport Extreme & never look back

Lt Belspur
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur

Hello Rob,

Do you have any lockups with WPA2?

Thanks

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

said by Lt Belspur:

Hello Rob,

Do you have any lockups with WPA2?

Thanks
which router ?

Lt Belspur
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur

Hello Rob,

Sorry,

The Airport Extreme.
MLGTWISTED
Melville, NY

MLGTWISTED

Any other routers coming out this year? Anything other than d-link? Im on the fence still on wether to buy another d-link product.

Puffnstuff
Jacksonville, FL

Puffnstuff

Netgear has a new one »www.netgear.com/Products ··· 700.aspx that catches my eye. If I were buying right now I'd look hard at it.

Lt Belspur
Sarasota, FL

1 edit

Lt Belspur to Stangs55

to Stangs55
I almost jumped the gun and pre ordered it.

Its still draft n 2.0. Is that the new standard?

With my track record I just might wait till it comes out and let someone else be the beta testers.

I miss my DGL-4500

My Actiontec Rev. D is doing well so far.

Puffnstuff
Jacksonville, FL

Puffnstuff

Draft n is what the dgl-4500 has and it's like an interim standard. It is my understanding that a new standard is supposed to debut next year but I cannot be more specific than that.

Lt Belspur
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur to Stangs55

to Stangs55
That's what I thought to. Before I spend another $200.00 on a router.

Now that my son is at school and his 6 computers are out of the house a have a lot more bandwith now and realy don't need a fancy router.

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc to Stangs55

Premium Member

to Stangs55
I dont miss my DGL-4500 whatsoever . My Dual-Band Apple Airport Extreme gives me faster throughput than the DGL & as well more stable connection + 10x better signal !
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by RobNyc:

I dont miss my DGL-4500 whatsoever . My Dual-Band Apple Airport Extreme gives me faster throughput than the DGL & as well more stable connection + 10x better signal !
If it wasn't made by Apple I might consider it. I made myself a life long promise never to buy an Apple product ever....and I refuse to break it.

Puffnstuff
Jacksonville, FL

Puffnstuff

At least the netgear has a mips cpu.