how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kdwycha

join:2003-01-30
Riverview, FL

well...

time to bring on the metered billing then!

CompTech210

join:2008-09-14
San Antonio, TX
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·AT&T DSL Service

1 recommendation

said by kdwycha:

I hope to hell they dont bring that crap back! I have RR 15/2 here and ATT dsl 6/786 here at home due to work and i hope they dont bring on metered billing cause me and my fiancee both work from home some days and we use around 100 gigs a month easy.

kdwycha

join:2003-01-30
Riverview, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 recommendation

said by CompTech210:

said by kdwycha:

I hope to hell they dont bring that crap back! I have RR 15/2 here and ATT dsl 6/786 here at home due to work and i hope they dont bring on metered billing cause me and my fiancee both work from home some days and we use around 100 gigs a month easy.
Just kidding around about that anyway. Every time I see a news story about Time Warner I like to say something about caps/metered billing.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to CompTech210

said by CompTech210:

me and my fiancee both work from home some days
Asking your employer to help pay for your service and/or claiming a deduction on your income tax should help alleviate some of the financial burden.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Here's the problem: TWCBC STARTS at $100 per month in the San Antonio/Austin area. That's for 10/512, which sucks for telecommuting because uploads are outright lame. However the next tier up is $50 more, for 512k more of upload speed!

TWC *does* have a 7/2 + phone lime promo for $80 per month, but that's for one year, after which the price doubles.

If TWC does caps, people will have to pay $250+ per month for 2Mbit up service with no cap in the SA/Austin area. Fortunately with Grande Communications competing with TWC for service, as well as U-Verse, this probably won't happen. But the prospect isn't too great anyway. Especially since the pricing I mentioned requires a three-year contract; $20 more per month if you want a one-year.

In contrast, Comcast actually has some decently-priced biz-class connections; they start at $60 (for 6/1 now, 12/2 later in about 45% of markets), work their way up through $90 (still not bad) and top out at $190 for either 22/5 (DOCSIS 2.0 areas) or 50/10 (DOCSIS 3.0 areas). Not too shabby when you can't get FiOS.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany

Obviously CompTech210 See Profile already has 15/2 service, so the costs must not be imperative at this time.

said by iansltx:

If TWC does caps, people will have to pay $250+ per month for 2Mbit up service with no cap in the SA/Austin area.
Where did that figure come from?

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

1. In the Austin area there are three providersL Grande, AT&T U-Verse and TWC.
2. Grande's maximum cable package is 1.5 Mbit up, and that's on the business side of the house. Highest-end res packages is 12/1.
3. AT&T's fastest package is 1.5 Mbit up, at least for now.
4. TWC will cap residential tiers but not business class tiers.
5. The only TWCBC tier with 2 Mbit/s upload speeds is the 15/2 package for $249.95-$279.95 per month, depending on the contract length.

So yeah, $250 per month for 2 Mbit/s of upload speed. 1.5 Mbits via UVerse or Grande biz-class is close though, and might be necessary if they cost less than say, $150 per month versus TWC's $250.