spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vigo

join:2007-07-24
Hollywood, FL

Can you have U-Verse Voice + a second land line in one home?

I have two telephone numbers at home. One is in my name and the other is in someone else's. I currently have ATT FastAccess DSL on my phone line. If I switch to U-Verse VOIP on my phone number, can I still keep the second POTS line?

The ATT rep wasn't sure but thought not. I don't see why I can't, since the wiring is separate. Does anyone here have a similar setup?

ozzy6900

join:2005-01-11
West Haven, CT
kudos:1

2 edits

Yes, in CT it is possible. I have a family in my neighborhood who has one line VoIP'd and the other as a standard POTS.

I was going to do the same thing but then I figured that we have our cell phones and we all have car chargers so just VoIP both lines.

vigo

join:2007-07-24
Hollywood, FL

Thanks, I thought it should be possible.

I live in an area where we lose power often, and during hurricane season we sometimes lose it for 2-3 weeks at a time. I'd feel more secure with a landline than with a cell phone, since the cell requires power to recharge the battery and even when it's charged, the reception isn't always the best.

I'm still hearing horror stories about U-Verse, though, so I'm not sure I'm ready to convert. I just hate Comcast so much -- don't know which is worse, the devil you know or the devil you don't.

ozzy6900

join:2005-01-11
West Haven, CT
kudos:1

If I lost power that often, I would invest in a generator!

DPR7

join:2004-10-09
Hollywood, FL
reply to vigo

Yes you can, I kept my landline and ordered two uverse voice lines, just plugging them in to the back of the RG. I didnt feel confortable ditching my line, If there is an uverse outage, then no phone,tv,or data for me, but my landline will still work!

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Yes, you can have both VoIP and POTS.

I could ask why -- there is a POTS plan for U-Verse -- $30/month for Unlimited US Calling, called "All Distance for U-Verse"

I guess there are some extra features of U-Voice VoIP, but if the calling & security is your goal, might want to consider "All Distance for U-Verse" POTS for all your calling needs

DPR7

join:2004-10-09
Hollywood, FL

I believe that plan is only offered in Legacy SBC markets, not the legacy Bellsouth markets

UDoom

@sbcglobal.net
reply to vigo

There are so many factors that VOIP relays on that have to be in place to work properly. So many devices and nodes in place that can cause packet corruption, drops, disconnects... sadly, the internet network is simply not that reliable yet IMO to handle on a global or even regional scale, going over multiple networks. POTS can.

UDoom

@sbcglobal.net
reply to vigo

I would have to agree with some others, even though VOIP is nice, you can't beat the reliable of POTS. Long power outages? No problem, POTS is there. Remember, with VOIP, you still need superior network conditions at all times to maintain good sync. If you have subpar, sorry to bad. POTS? no problem. Even with the worst conditions, POTS can still work, even if the connection has a little static *shrugs*

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit
reply to vigo

When you install U-verse just ask the installer to keep your POTS line. They will split it out at the NID and have it come into the house phone wiring over a second pair coming out of the NID. I did this myself. (I've since ditched the POTS line for a second U-verse Voice line, however.)

VDSL is like DSL in that a single pair coming into the NID from outside will carry both a POTS signal and a VDSL signal.

The difference from DSL is that with DSL, it's a single pair inside your house too, and you have to equip all your POTS phones with a DSL filter. You also need a DSL filter in front of your DSL modem that splits the DSL signal out to the modem.

With U-verse, the split happens once at the NID box on the outside of your house, and you need two pairs of wiring inside the house, one for POTS and one for VDSL.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by MyDogHsFleas:

VDSL is like DSL in that a single pair coming into the NID from outside will carry both a POTS signal and a VDSL signal.

The difference from DSL is that with DSL, it's a single pair inside your house too, and you have to equip all your POTS phones with a DSL filter. You also need a DSL filter in front of your DSL modem that splits the DSL signal out to the modem.

With U-verse, the split happens once at the NID box on the outside of your house, and you need two pairs of wiring inside the house, one for POTS and one for VDSL.
ADSL can be split in the NID, also. It is simply not typically done. But I've done a fair number of U-Verse installs where I removed the ADSL NID Splitter/Filter and replaced it with the VDSL one.