spc
Search similar:

uniqs
solidd
join:2009-07-30
Sacramento, CA

solidd

Bridging SE567 and a Linksys WRT54Gv8 Router

Hi, sorry if this is a repost of a similar problem. I've been googling trying to figure out how to get my PS3 from a NAT3 to NAT2 when I use the Gigaset SE567 router/modem.
Every forum I read said it's impossible without bridging to a separate router.
So Google pointed me to this site where I read several posts and guides on how to bridge them. I think I've figured it all out however the problem I'm having now is finding my Linksys Router's IP.

Let me explain first what I've done (hopefully it's correct):
1: I went into the SE567's page and changed the ATM Virtual Circuit to a bridged connection (0/35). Then rebooted the device.

2. While it was rebooting, I attached an ethernet cable from the Internet port on the Linksys Router to an Ethernet port on the Gigaset. Then moved the cable from my PC that used to go into an ethernet port on my modem to an Ethernet on the Linksys.

3. From what I remember (I attempted all of this last night), all of the lights on the Gigaset were lit up except for Internet (good, right?). On the Linksys, every light was lit as well. So I think both devices work, I just don't have any internet access when I bridge them. Obviously, I've switched it back in order to post this.

4. I think from what I read, the next step was to type in 192.168.1.1 and forward the appropriate PS3 ports in the router. That IP doesn't work. That's where I'm stuck.
When I go into the Command Prompt and type "ipconfig /all" or "arp -a" I get the same IP/Default Gateway/DNS servers I have set up. I've set up a static IP for all 5 devices (3 PCs, a Wii, and a PS3) and everything works fine, except for the NAT3 on the PS3 which wasn't a big deal until now.

We used the Linksys Router at another house (we moved last year and got Frontier after that) and I believe the IP was 192.168.1.1 and it worked fine, but now it doesn't.

I'm sure I have something wrong here. If I need to change my static IP/gateway/dns stuff in order to make this whole thing work, just let me know. I can change anything.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

By the looks of things you've done everything correctly. Since you stated that you are using static IPs, you want to change the IPs to reflect that of the Linksys, not the SpeedStream. If you've done this, try using DHCP on your PC to get into the Linksys, and maybe reset the Linksys back to factory defaults and reconfigure it.
solidd
Sacramento, CA

solidd

I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

I'm trying to follow the information found in these two threads:
»SE567 and Playstation 3
»Trying to bridge se567 to linksys...I have no clue

I don't know what DHCP is, so I googled it and found a page that told me to just select Automatic in the TCP/IP settings for my PC. After doing that, I could get into the Linksys with 192.168.1.1
I reset the Linksys to Factory Default anyway.

On the Linksys page, I chose PPPoE and entered my username and password. I just wrote admin and admin, which I think is right, as I didn't find any @frontiernet email address in the SE567's page.
I set the MTU to 1492.
The DHCP settings were automatic. It said the starting IP was 192.168.1.100 and maximum users was 50.
I entered the 2 DNS server IPs I got from Frontier into the Linksys, but I still don't have any internet connection on the PC.

On the PS3, it fails to connect as well. I followed what Doctor Olds said in one of the above threads, and set the PS3's static IP to 192.168.1.160 so it was outside the DHCP range. I think? But it still fails to connect. Tried PPPoE on the PS3, but that didn't help.

Let's forget the PS3 for now. What else do I need to do in order to get an internet connection on the PCs?
You might have to walk me through everything as I know little about this stuff.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

2 edits

Smith6612

MVM

admin/admin will not allow you to connect, so basically what you need to do is find out what your Frontier username and password is for your account (it should be the same as your Frontier e-mail if you use that). As per the configurations such as the MTU, DNS servers and such, when the router connects the PPPoE, it will obtain that information automatically, and the router should be using an MTU of 1492 as it is when you select it.

But basically you've done the meat and potatoes of the whole process. It's just a matter of getting your Frontier username and password and plugging it into the Linksys, in which case the Linksys should grab an IP address (as indicated on it's status page) and should start serving the Internet connection.

Take note that the username and password for the PPPoE in the SpeedStream will probably not have @frontiernet.net in it. My modem is connecting without the @frontiernet.net, just my basic username so that might be the same case with you.

But simply said, the Linksys main setup page should look something like this:

Connection Type: PPPoE (or PPPoA, whatever Frontier put you on)
Username: Your Frontier e-mail username without the @frontiernet.net on it
Password: Your e-mail password
MTU: 1492 (should be set automatically)
Static DNS: 0 for every box. PPPoE will configure this automatically.

What you've done so far:
1: Configured the SpeedStream to use Bridged mode
2: Verified that the SpeedStream is not serving up an active connection to the internet
3: Gotten access to the Linksys by setting your PC to use DHCP

So basically you're almost done. It's just this one step that is left.
solidd
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

solidd

Okay, I found my username and password and everything is connected. I have internet access on the 3 computers and the PS3 has NAT1.

However, I'm getting an IP conflict. A popup appeared on this computer telling me a device on the network is already using that IP or something like that. The linksys is disconnecting us frequently and I have to wait for the WLAN light to come back on. Any way to resolve this?

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

If anything it sounds like you're having DHCP conflicts. What you can do, is if if you want to move back to Static IPs, you can set up your devices to use the Static IPs like you used you have with the SpeedStream, however make them apply to what the Linksys is offering. Or, what you can also do is tell your PCs to do an IP DHCP Release (I believe the command is ipconfig /release), and then afterwards you can turn off the Linksys, and then turn it on with all of your devices powered up. This should fix this problem itself anyways. Also, if you're using Wireless make sure it is secured. Back when Roadrunner had issues in my neighborhood, I'd let my neighbors onto my connection so that they can play their Xbox 360s without the lagging. Whenever I did let them in, I'd get those IP Address Conflicts because their device/PC was asking for the IP address they had on their network.

For the disconnections on the WAN side, it almost sounds like either the SpeedStream or the Linksys is rebooting, or there is a bad cable. If the WLAN light is going out it shows a connection failure. It should remain lit even if PPPoE drops or if DSL goes down.
solidd
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

solidd

So I bought a new WRT54GL router since the 54G was failing on us. Just arrived today, I set it up and internet is fine. No disconnects.

Problem is, now the PS3 times out when trying to find an IP address. I don't need to forward the PS3 ports with it being PPPoE, right? Because there's no static IP? Tried DMZ as well. No luck.

Edit: Nevermind, got it working. Just had to set a Static IP in the DMZ settings and point the PS3 to that. Have NAT Type 2 now.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to solidd

MVM

to solidd
Good to hear that everything has worked out for you. Have fun gaming!