share rss forum feed

maxihatop

join:2009-07-31
Montgomery Village, MD

DSL signal booster

Hi,

I am currently using DSL from verizon, and use their
default ADSL+ modem Westell 6100G.

According contract, they promised me 1mbps/365kbps down/up bandwitch. But, DSL modem connects only with speed 865/159.
I assume, because there is old phone lines, and low line quality does not allow increase speed.

But, maybe I can slightly increase speed, by using
better modem, with more advanced analog part?
Or, connect to phone line something like "analog signal buster"?

Do someone have experience with ADSL modems -- which modem can improve network performance?

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
maxihatop

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
said by maxihatop:

"analog signal buster"?
I believe you meant signals booster and not signals buster.

Remember, a signals booster device also boost the noise signals on the lines. This means you will probably end up with no additional performance.
--
Mazilo always prays for FREEBIES!
US Phone: +1-678-601-0907
UK Phone: +44-703-194-2574

maxihatop

join:2009-07-31
Montgomery Village, MD
I know, external amplifier can not increase SNR, yes. But, maybe, advanced modem has better sensitivity, etc. For example, different ordinary phone modems on the same line was worked with different connection speed. Same in the Ethernet NICs - if you have very long cable, 3com works better, than realtek.
Maybe, in the ADSL world also presents modems with different analog parts.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:29
IMO, there is very little difference in SNR performance between ADSL2+ capable modems.

First, determine (by looking at stats in the modem) that you are limited by S/N margin, rather than by a (perhaps incorrect) profile set by Verizon. Next, eliminate house wiring by testing your modem directly at the NID. If there is no significant improvement, test with a borrowed modem, or buy one at a local store, where you can return it if you are not satisfied with the improvement.

If no luck, try posting here: »Verizon DSL

prestonlewis
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-13
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

reply to maxihatop
As a former long time user of DSL in a home far far from the central office, I can tell you a high quality "splitter" at your NID can work very well. Particularly if your home also has "old" wiring.

You probably already use a low quality, cheap "splitter filter" between your wall jack and your DSL modem. A good splitter is generally a small grey box that mounts next to your NID (where your phone line leaves the ground/street and enters your home). You connect the NID to the splitter. The splitter has 2 connections from the NID and 4 outgoing connections: 2 for DSL and 2 for voice telephone. What does the splitter do? It keeps your home wiring from interfering with your DSL connection. Old home phone wiring can degrade the DSL signal. Here's a link to a higher quality splitter that I'm talking about:

»www.hometech.com/techwire/dsl.ht ··· dsl.html

The top of this page has the "cheap" $5 "filters" that most telcos send to you with the DSL modem. The bottom of the page displays 2 "splitters" which is what you may want to try. They usually cost around $40 and the most common brand is Suttle.

In my own case, I live in a 1970s era home and the phone wiring both in my home and coming into the NID are old and brittle. With a Suttle splitter, I can get DSL speeds of about 1535/700ish. Without the splitter, using the cheap little filters only, my top speed is around 800/350.

Do some googling and read other people's experiences about DSL "filters" vs. "splitters" and I think you'll find most people are happier DSL campers with a splitter. Also be aware that many sites sell the cheapo filters under the name "splitter filter". If the word filter is used, it's not what you want. Lastly, if you do install a splitter at your NID, you don't need a filter.

Good luck!

muskdial
Premium
join:2009-08-03
Click for full size
Outdoor DSL Splitter

prestonlewis

In your post you stated "A good splitter is generally a small grey box that mounts next to your NID (where your phone line leaves the ground/street and enters your home). You connect the NID to the splitter."

I agree and understand what you are saying, but what's not clear is how exactly do you connect the NID to the Outdoor DSL Splitter?

Thanks
Scott

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:25
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
That's the same box I've seen around for splitting DSL that Frontier hands out over here. Otherwise, there are a few ways to boost DSL connectivity. If you start by visiting »192.168.1.1/transtat.htm and posting up the Transceiver stats, we can see what can be changed.

By the way, DSL can be boosted over longer lines with ADSL2+ and AdrenaLine DSL Expanders. Frontier was using those Line Powered AdrenaLine units, however it seems as though after a couple of months they had to be replaced for whatever reason so they stopped putting them in for new installs. I don't think Verizon uses those, considering they're working on FiOS so good luck convincing Verizon to install one. You can ask for ADSL2+ if you aren't using that though. Of course, the most reliable way to getting DSL out the farthest/better to you, is to install a remote nearby, a pole line-powered DSLAM (found in rural areas mostly), or of course find a quicker route to the exchange.
--
It's all fun and games in a Team Fortress 2 battle until your sentry gun is sapped by the Spycrab!

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to muskdial
said by muskdial:

I agree and understand what you are saying, but what's not clear is how exactly do you connect the NID to the Outdoor DSL Splitter?
Installing a whole house splitter is easy if you are comfortable working on telephone wiring. If you have a NID plug a phone to the test jack. This disconnects inside wiring eliminating possibility of getting shocked. Open circuit voltage on phone line is 48 volts DC with 90 volts AC superimposed during ringing.

Disconnect all customer side phone wiring from the phone line DSL is on. Locate splitter in a convenient location.
1) Run a new cable (twisted pair) from NID to "Line" terminals of splitter
2) Reconnect existing inside phone line wiring to "Phone" terminals of splitter
3) Install a new cable (twisted pair) from "Data" terminals of splitter to new jack where DSL modem is located.

A wiring diagram may help, here is our system:
»www.tschmidt.com/writings/HomeLA ··· 23681282

I added some additional test jacks to make troubleshooting easier. They are not necessary.

/tom

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to maxihatop
said by maxihatop:

But, maybe I can slightly increase speed, by using
better modem, with more advanced analog part?
Or, connect to phone line something like "analog signal buster"?
ADSL requires a physical copper link between customer modem and DSLAM. This is different then ISDN or T1 that supports in-line repeaters.

Connect DSL modem to phone company NID test jack. If stats improve inside wiring/equipment is degrading performance. DSL is distance and noise limited. The only thing you can do as a customer is make sure once signal gets to your home it is not degraded.

/tom

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:25
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to maxihatop
Just as an FYI maxihatop, the only thing that would really be used to boost Analog signal would be a load coil. That will only pass voice frequencies, and immediately kills all DSL when it goes through a load coil. I also think it affects T1 as well. That's why whenever you have a long line, DSL can take some time to hook up, as technicians have to go up to each line coil that you pass through and de-load your line (you'll hear voice quality drop every time they do this until DSL is turned on. DSL itself does boost voice quality due to it's nature).
--
It's all fun and games in a Team Fortress 2 battle until your sentry gun is sapped by the Spycrab!