uniqs
share rss forum feed

DarkScythe

join:2007-09-10
Brooklyn, NY
reply to fatal

Re: [northeast] Brooklyn,NY FIOS Deployments

Lucky.

I saw the markings on my street and all that stuff as well, and being one block from the CO, I thought it'd be soon, but alas. They started on the street next to me and moved in the opposite direction, and we still don't have it.
I honestly have no idea when they'll ever bother setting us up, but I finally had to switch to OOL, as I simply could not deal with their crappy DSL anymore.

fatal

join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY

bump anyone got any news? still waiting here :-(

smanes

join:2002-03-31
Brooklyn, NY
reply to lexuskool

FIOS installation in progress in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn at Ridge Blvd @ Senator Street. Pole up, trenching completed on Senator west of Ridge, cable pull across back yard poles began last week.

AFAICT, this will only service customers on the two blocks bordered by 68th St & Senator, 3rd Ave to Colonial. No ETA when work will commence for neighboring blocks.

fatal

Brooklyn, NY

yeah verizon has turtles doing the fios work that's why it's taking so freaking long

lexuskool

join:2001-04-25
Brooklyn, NY

I remember back in the 80's when time warner cable was bringing cable to brooklyn. the cable company didn't take long they wired by avenues and by block to block not skipping avenues and blocks. verizon should hire their contractors so they could finish the job sooner. verizon is wiring by co's. in sunset park my co is 14 ave. i noticed on the permits they are wiring 77 st co which has blocks in sunset park. does anyone know when from 60 street to 39 th street between 5 th and 6 th aves they will start wiring. i know they did up to 5 th ave on these streets. they also did 7 th avenue between these streets. but they skipped 5 th and 6 th avenue. i'm in between. 46 between 4 th and 5 th avenue has it. i am one block away. how frustrating can that be. i hope they dont decide to leave some places without fios. i read a article on internet stating some places may be left out. i spoke to someone at verizon and they said new york will be finished by end of 2015.

clrana9017

join:2009-05-12
reply to lexuskool

After Verizon came and did some random and sporadic work on my block, FiOS finally became available in PLG, Flatbush! Goodbye, Optimum and Dish Network! Just ordered myself a Double Play with Prime HD and 75/35!

PsychoStreak

join:2000-06-27
Brooklyn, NY

@clrana9017:Did they contact you or did you have to call them to get it?

Also, can you post back when they actually install it? I'm curious to know what the lag time between ordering and installation will be like.

The trucks have been running cable in East Flatbush for the past few weeks. They did my block last week, but still no word on when those lines will go live.

You're in the neighborhood just to the north of me (literally 2 blocks south and 3 east), so I'm hoping we're next. Verizon has dragged their feet for so long though I don't want to get my hopes up only to have them dashed.
--
Only now do you realize the depth of my insanity...

clrana9017

join:2009-05-12

They left a sticker on my door saying to inquire about FiOS, so I went online and ordered a package because I had a promo code to get $5.00 a month for twelve months.

The installation went relatively smoothly, but I do have some issues that are going to be corrected by a technician on Sunday. My backup battery, for some reason, is not working, which I find weird because it was a fresh install. Also, one of my set-top boxes is not getting a proper signal, so some channels are missing. Some of them have their SD counterparts working properly but their HD versions will not load. Other than that, it was pretty quick and easy.

I wouldn't worry about your neighborhood not getting FiOS. NYC is still under contract under 2014. Believe me, I almost lost hope myself. Now, I am a happy FiOS customer after waiting for it to come for the past eight years.

I could have had it installed two days after they left their calling card, but I chose a week where I could take the day off. So, I delayed my installation by about a week. Also, the fiber hubs weren't up yet, but they went up the day after I got the calling card. It was weird.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

How did you determine that your BBU is not working properly? It is only to keepr the dialtone up.

What is on the screen of the channels that you are not getting? Which package are you subscribed to?
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

fatal

Brooklyn, NY

any news guys?

PsychoStreak

join:2000-06-27
Brooklyn, NY
reply to lexuskool

Nothing yet. The Verizon trucks have moved on as far as I can tell, after running fiber throughout the neighborhood.

Just that 15 feet from the line on the pole to the house.
It may as well be in Australia for all the good it's doing anyone right now.
--
Only now do you realize the depth of my insanity...

lexuskool

join:2001-04-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to lexuskool

the fios techs are saying its taking long because it's taking long to get permits for the back yards where poles are at. some landlords/homeowners don't want to give access. hence they skip the blocks until they gain access. verizon has to go to court to get approval sometimes.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

when their tennants move out due to limited utility it will be the landlord's lost income. more and more buildings ARE getting wired for FIOS. obviously, if you can afford sky high rents, you can afford fios too so it will be a loss ot the landlords who block access or micromanage it to be deployed with DSL routing through telephone wires. boycott those apartments. DO NOT rent there, unless the rent is super cheap-- maybe $500 a month.

Tonice2007
Premium
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

said by tmc8080:

when their tennants move out due to limited utility it will be the landlord's lost income. more and more buildings ARE getting wired for FIOS. obviously, if you can afford sky high rents, you can afford fios too so it will be a loss ot the landlords who block access or micromanage it to be deployed with DSL routing through telephone wires. boycott those apartments. DO NOT rent there, unless the rent is super cheap-- maybe $500 a month.

I don't know about you, but rents around where I live are not cheap, and people still rent, but they get "roommates". Also, lot of people aren't "technically" inclined and don't really care about FiOS or Fiber Optics...

leo81486

join:2010-10-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to lexuskool

i saw a couple Fios truck n some Big truck digging n laying fiber wires under the grounds on
Clonial n Bayridge park way .
the just started a few days ago, n it looks like they r doing it days and nights..

fatal

Brooklyn, NY

any updates guys

fatal

Brooklyn, NY

bump come on verizon i could work alone and work faster than you boohooo!

Ike1

join:2012-06-02
Newark, NJ

If I were to look at apartments in Brooklyn, which neighborhoods are better for FiOS than Kensington? I like Kensington a lot but there doesn't seem to be much or any FiOS there so far, definitely not on Caton Ave. & McDonald Ave. where I looked at a place last night. Lefferts Gardens, any FiOS there? Ditmas Park/Flatbush has some already deployed right? How about Midwood? Greenpoint? Not too keen on a lot of the other neighborhoods. Is Queens better overall? Rego Park, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst? I'd love to be able to keep my 7232 DVR filled with stuff I haven't gotten around to watching. That said, Cablevision isn't terrible... as long as none of these are Time Warner neighborhoods. I'd rather be eaten by giant fire-breathing dogs or giant fire-breathing bees or dogs with bees in their mouths than move into a Time Warner area with no FiOS option.

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

2 edits

Most of the southern portions of the borough are wired - from Bay Ridge to Canarsie (all along the Belt Parkway). Some of those neighborhoods are Georgetown, Mill Basin, Marine Park, Sheepshead Bay, Gravesend, Bensonhurst, and Dyker Hts.

Actually, I believe Starrett City (Spring Creek Towers) might also have FiOS - that's a little further east of Canarsie.

Edit: I agree with your assessment of Optimum not being a bad tradeoff from FiOS - in fact, I'm pleasantly surprised by their network DVR. While I lost rewind of live TV, I gained more recordings simultaneously and about 2 to 3X storage capacity.
On the Brooklyn map, the dividing line between Time Warner and Cablevision is roughly a straight line drawn between Dyker and Bensonhurst, with Bensonhurst having Optimum, and Dyker having TWC.

Mon

join:2014-01-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Ike1

@Ike1 Although it's only as recent as June 2013, check out NYS and NYC Broadband Map,

NYS Map (check Fiber on layer): »www.broadbandmap.ny.gov/map/
NYC Map: »www.nycbbmap.com/

Here in Sunset Park, about 50% are wired according to the map. In southwestern Brooklyn, your best area would be Dyker Heights. They are fully wired for years now since in Dyker, the poles are in the front not in the backyard.

As for which area have TWC or Optimum, check out this map from NYC DoITT:
»www.nyc.gov/html/doitt/downloads···ries.pdf
Basically TWC has the western part where I-278 goes through, rest is Optimum.

Mon

Brooklyn, NY

Some hope and good news!

Verizon started working on my block this week since the pole was installed more than a year ago. I'm on 60 St between 4th and 5th. On Monday, Verizon installed the FDH on the pole but the cables were not attached yet, they were looped next to the box. Then today the cables were finally attached from the box to the pipe going underground.

Also Verizon has been working our block backyard. I'm not sure how long this has been going on since I haven't really look out to the backyard. Verizon replaced the pole where my TWC connection goes to from old wood pole to this:

Here is a picture of another pole with what appears to be the FDT to the left of it? (Correct me if it's not)

You can also see all the metal poles and ladder from Verizon there, work is still ongoing. Also shows that they are still building out at least here in Sunset Park which is about 50-60% wired. Very excited after all these years, finally it's happening!

fatal

Brooklyn, NY

congrats man still waiting here on 47th st and 3rd so close its right up the block and one block over as well hopefully they pick up the pace lots of blocks in sunset have those poles and no boxes yet or wiring yet

fatal

Brooklyn, NY

bump come on verizon

sneakaround

join:2001-06-19
Staten Island, NY
reply to Mon

I see a copper splice case on the left and I see a fiber cable below that with a connector for a VATS terminal, so FiOS shouls be available soon.

Mon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Mon

Update:
FiOS is available at my address as of April 30th!

The build timeline went like this:
Early March - Letter was sent to landlords in my block regarding FiOS work to be done.
March 31st - FDH was put on the pole but not connected yet.
April 4th - FDH wired to the underground.
April 4th-April 30th - Testing time? I saw no noticeable works being done. Backyard looked the same.

But here is the interesting part. On April 27th, I sent an email to VZ customer support asking about availability. Basically I wrote that the fiber has been running on the backyard for about a month and I have seen no more progress being done and I assume that the work is done, told them to look into it. On April 29th, got a reply saying "At this time, no date of availability is being given as to when the FiOS Services will become available for your service address."

I expected this generic answer anyway but the next day FiOS is available when I checked. This could all be a coincidence, but let's say it's not, it could be a good thing to try if your backyard and FDH is wired but you can't order yet.

fatal

Brooklyn, NY

would help if we knew where your from Mon

Mon

Brooklyn, NY

said by fatal:

would help if we knew where your from Mon

I'm on 60th Street between 4th and 5th Ave.

fatal

Brooklyn, NY

Ooops my bad didn't notice your the one that posted the pics earlier

fatal

Brooklyn, NY

bump any updates guys?

kamm

join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to lexuskool

Wow, just received the general-sounding "We are pleased to inform you that FiOS TV service is available in your neighborhood, but is not yet available in your building. We will begin negotiations to gain access to your building" letter - how long is it usually takes from this point 'til live service, how many months?

PS: Park Slope
--

said by bicker:

Waaaa waaaa waaaa. You just want what you want and don't care to factor in what is right or true. Your perspectives are un-American, and deserve far more ridicule than I'm prepared to pile on them.