how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

clrana9017

join:2009-05-12
reply to lexuskool

Re: [northeast] Brooklyn,NY FIOS Deployments

I second that question. Where are your poles located for FiOS? I had to complete that sentence because just saying where are your poles would just sound awkward.

Photoman15

join:2000-06-12
Brooklyn, NY
reply to lexuskool

A little personal, but my poles are in the front.

clrana9017

Haha, well double entendre aside, that's what we're trying to figure out: when will FiOS come to those who have their poles in the backyards? There are semi-accessible backyards (via driveways) or inaccessible ones (only through a person's house OR over a building's endpoint). I don't think many of us have seen progress like that occurring in Brooklyn and that's what the major issue is for some of us who want FiOS like little old me who's dealing out money to Dish Network and Cablevision :/

fatal

join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY

said by clrana9017:

Haha, well double entendre aside, that's what we're trying to figure out: when will FiOS come to those who have their poles in the backyards? There are semi-accessible backyards (via driveways) or inaccessible ones (only through a person's house OR over a building's endpoint). I don't think many of us have seen progress like that occurring in Brooklyn and that's what the major issue is for some of us who want FiOS like little old me who's dealing out money to Dish Network and Cablevision :/
what you have poles in your backyard you need to pause that lol

clrana9017

reply to lexuskool

I'm down as east as you can get on New York Avenue. From what I see, as an area of East Flatbush with FiOS available, Copper phone lines are in the backyards, but the Fiber lines are in the front sharing poles with Cablevision. So I guess this clears up what is going to happen?

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York
reply to lexuskool

Re: Poles in front or back

We have our VZ PSTN pole in the backyard, and Cablevision/Con-Ed pole in the front;

VZ strung the fiber on the front pole, so now there are 3 utils on the front pole.

I suppose it was easier than trying to gain access to all the backyards to string fiber.. HOWEVER, about 3 years ago, the splice group DID replace the entire run on (at least) our block in the backyards, so they DID get permission for that.

I think it was an absolute necessity as many ppl had POTS problems with the existing run (it was ooold) as the insulation was shoddy and rain would frequently cause POTS outages (or at least static for days..)

clrana9017

reply to lexuskool

Re: [northeast] Brooklyn,NY FIOS Deployments

They need to replace my backyard lines too. DSL outages all the time as well as no POTS service for a few days. That's why I went VoIP and now just cellular. Jimboe, what part of BK do you live in?

jimboe

New York

bensonhurst

lexuskool

join:2001-04-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to lexuskool

On bath ave, benson ave, and cropsey ave in bensonhurst are there fiber cables on those avenues? did VERIZON wire the cables up to 14 th ave on all 3 avenues yet? If anyone lives in those areas or passes by those avenues please let us know.

lexuskool

Brooklyn, NY
reply to lexuskool

I spoke to a VERIZON tech today and he said that they are right now concentrating on the areas in Brooklyn where the poles are in front of homes because those are the fastest and easiest to wire up the fiber cables on. VERIZON is trying to finish those areas first. Then VERIZON wil need to get access to the back of homes,buildings where the poles are in the back. The VERIZON tech also told me when VERIZON starts doing those areas where the poles are in the back, that when VERIZON starts asking owners/landlords to allow access to the back so that they can run the fiber wire on the poles in those streets. So the owner/landlords that dont allow access will only delay the streets from getting wired. So it is up to the owner/landlords on how fast or smooth it goes to allow access. What happens if the owner/landlord does not allow access does VERIZON have to go to court to get a court order so that they can get access to those poles?

freyjabj

join:2009-09-18
Brooklyn, NY
reply to lexuskool

Dyker Heights - 77th Street 10th / 11th Ave... we now have fios and multiple installs in the past 7 days. Very happy. Now I need to drop off my TWC boxes.

rj28

@verizon.net
reply to lexuskool

Question - how long has the install taken for those of you in Brooklyn, specifically Dyker Heights?

I'm right around the corner from you Freyjabj (well, a couple of blocks, by 80th and 7th). Verizon is coming out on Saturday, but hasn't given me specifics on when they're showing up and how long it'll take.

Having read about complicated installs taking almost the whole day at other locations, it would seem to be a bit different in an urban environment. How long did it take them from start to finish to light you up?

freyjabj

Brooklyn, NY

All depends on how complicated the install is. I had two guys working my job. Total time 2.5 hrs. One went to the poll out front and ran the wire to the house. We put the ONT on the outside right next to the Con Ed boxes. They tested the cable wires and determined that they could be repurposed for FIOS. (My Cable installation was refreshed a year ago so the cables are relatively new and in good condition). Since there was no need to run new cables through the house, the last big item was securing the battery / power supply and swapping out the cable boxes for FIOS. Wireless setup took about 1 minute after the tech spent about 14 minutes loading Verizon diagnostic / help software on my computer. Phone activiation was trivial.

My neighbor also switch to FIOS on Friday. I noticed another installation going in on 75th between 10th and 11th on Saturday (9/19).

rj28

@verizon.net

Thanks freyjabj. I don't know what dictates the complexity - I'm in a 2 family house, and the inside of the house is wired up for coax. I know my current TWC service comes in off a pole in front of the house, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case with my existing copper service, which comes in from the back (that's also where the termination point is, on the back of the house).

The rest should be gravy for them, just plug and play replacement. I'm hoping I don't have to stick around the whole day for this, but to get away from Time Warner I'd camp outside if I had to.

freyjabj

Brooklyn, NY

Same scenario for me. Verizon left the wire coming in from the back even though I no longer use it. The other family still uses it. Phone service now comes from the fiber out front into the ONT.

insta11er

@optonline.net
reply to rj28

there are many factors determining time it take so there is no way they can tell u how long it takes. just keep your entire day open. your next door neighbor install can take 1 hour while yours takes 8 hours.

said by rj28 :

Question - how long has the install taken for those of you in Brooklyn, specifically Dyker Heights?

I'm right around the corner from you Freyjabj (well, a couple of blocks, by 80th and 7th). Verizon is coming out on Saturday, but hasn't given me specifics on when they're showing up and how long it'll take.

Having read about complicated installs taking almost the whole day at other locations, it would seem to be a bit different in an urban environment. How long did it take them from start to finish to light you up?

trudy

@verizon.net
reply to lexuskool

I'm out of the Clinton CO and live in a 24 story building. I just got FIOS internet installed today (building was wired with cable in 2008). The tech took about 4 hours in total. He called his boss and was told video aka FIOS TV will be available in the Clinton CO in October or November.

Also, to get a large apartment building wired you should call 866-638-6066. Its the multiple dwelling unit signup line.

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY
kudos:3
reply to clrana9017

Does anyone have FIOS in the 11224 Zip Code, specifically out of the AVE U/W12 CO? And perhaps someone knows on the status of deployment in the Coney Island area.

Lastly, thanks for posting the MDU signup line, Trudy.

Thanks in advance

gravesendfio

@verizon.net

said by StreetSpirit:

Does anyone have FIOS in the 11224 Zip Code, specifically out of the AVE U/W12 CO? And perhaps someone knows on the status of deployment in the Coney Island area.

Thanks in advance
i get it on west 7th between ave t & u

StreetSpirit
Premium
Roslyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

2 edits

said by gravesendfio :

said by StreetSpirit:

Thanks in advance
I misread that. I have friends nearby who are hoping it's available. They're in a private home, no MDU issues, on West 6th between V/W.

Thank you for your reply. I also know several folks in Gravesend with FIOS from the 1101 Ave R CO (CLLI NYCKNYAR), but am still looking for _anyone_ with FIOS from CO CLLI # NYCKNYAU ...

I guess I'll keep waiting and hoping... AFAIK, the apartment is 12,500 wire-feet from the Ave U/W12 CO.

--
Regards
Dave

jimboe

New York

Of course you know one.

StreetSpirit
Premium
Roslyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

True that!

I'm still waiting and hoping they'll eventually get to the other side of Belt Pkwy, Jimbo. But you're absolutely right! (mumbles a few choice words about luck! xD)

J/k, I'm enjoying OOL while it's working well enough. Currently downloading at just over 30mbps, which is fine with me. I just wish I had a bit more upstream umph..

Cheers-

StreetSpirit
Premium
Roslyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to gravesendfio

said by gravesendfio :

said by StreetSpirit:

Thanks in advance
To the guy with FIOS on west 7th - Do you know which CO serves you? Ave U/W12? Thanks in advance.

lexuskool

Brooklyn, NY
reply to lexuskool

Good news for people liviving in dyker heights , bensonhurst, parts of bay ridge and sunset park. anyone living between 86 th street and 62nd street from 10 th ave and up can get/order fios and some from 8th to 10 th ave can also start ordering there will be some blocks in between or certain aves that may not be lit yet but this is a very good sign that more and more places are getting fios. go to verizonfios.com. i can confirm up to 62 nd street and 8th ave has fios and they can start ordering. if anybody else has feedback in those areas or others close to those to post. those that can order can get phone internet and fios tv too all three services are available. those cable and satellite companies are finally going to have competition. i also read on another post and article on dslreports that verizon is considering buying directv. remember when att wanted to buy directv. the last thing is i am waiting for someone to post if they see verizon putting up fiber cables on poles in back of homes in bay ridge then that will be another good sign. i hope this helped people out for those that did not get notified by verizon yet.

kk2

@sbcglobal.net

Majority.. if not all of Bensonhurts is NOT wired for fios. Most of the houses have backyard pole.

hawk_NY

join:2009-04-16
Brooklyn, NY
reply to lexuskool

Im in 11214 isnt this considered Bensonhurst? I'm wired as of June 09 bud.

jgz

@optonline.net

i'm in 11214 on benson ave bay 13th street.

i been waiting for fios for 2 years now. My cable(cablevision) is wired through the pole in front of my house but i do see a backyard pole in my neighbors yard running through the house connected next to me.

does that mean i have a backyard pole?

i keep checking the site on verizon.com and it still just offers me regular DSL. Anyone know if it will be available soon in my area? because i don't want to order NBA league pass which lasts for an entire season and have FiOS available soon -_-

hawk_NY

join:2009-04-16
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to lexuskool

Hi jgz,

I got wired via the pole in front of my house bud. There online fios check never showed that my address was available for it until one Saturday a fios guy should up and asked me if I wanted to get installed. I gave him my info and in ten days had the tech guy over. Heck most of my buds on Bay 31st have it.

Hawk

bkch0

join:2001-08-08
Schaumburg, IL

My parents are in 11214... 83rd street.
Poles are in the backyard.
FIOS is not available according to their website and customer service.

jimboe

New York

said by bkch0:

My parents are in 11214... 83rd street.
Poles are in the backyard.
FIOS is not available according to their website and customer service.
Re: Poles being in the backyard