NICK ADSL UK
MVM
join:2004-02-22
united kingd

2 recommendations

NICK ADSL UK

MVM

Re: Sun Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 15

please note that this update was withdrawn and will have to be installed again on the 4th of August. sun micro systems regrets any inconvenience caused

»Advance notification of Security Updates for Java SE

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey

Premium Member

Thanks a lot, Sun. Good thing I only installed this on my own system and not on the systems at a business I help to support.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit

KoRnGtL15 to NICK ADSL UK

Premium Member

to NICK ADSL UK
I installed it on my 2 main machines. No issues. Should I leave it alone or revert back? Also why would we have 2 install it again with that new version? I thought it was the same?
said by NICK ADSL UK:

please note that this update was withdrawn and will have to be installed again on the 4th of August. sun micro systems regrets any inconvenience caused

»Advance notification of Security Updates for Java SE

NICK ADSL UK
MVM
join:2004-02-22
united kingd

2 recommendations

NICK ADSL UK

MVM

the reason on why it has been withdrawn has not be made clear so it is in your own interest to uninstall it and then reinstall when it has been re-released

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

4 edits

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

said by NICK ADSL UK:

the reason on why it has been withdrawn has not be made clear so it is in your own interest to uninstall it and then reinstall when it has been re-released
Fair enough.
Keep in mind there may be nothing wrong with it.
If Sun is able to produce any info on if the initial release has an issue with it, (security or stability) then it may be worth uninstalling. Until then, I'm running Update 15 for XP64, XP32, and on another XP32 machine. Nothing unusual here as the updates from the developer website have been pulled in the past without incident. Any individual who is surprised by this should just stick to Java.com ... which I tried suggesting earlier in this thread...

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to NICK ADSL UK

Premium Member

to NICK ADSL UK
said by NICK ADSL UK:

I'd go along with that.

Those who are saying "I'm not having any issues" would not likely take the same tack were it say, for example, some Microsoft critical security patch that had been issued then revoked under perhaps mysterious and unexplained circumstances.

It's quite possible there's some gaping flaw with the update that, while on the surface seems to affect nothing, unbeknownst to the user is allowing highly undesirable behavior when Java is enabled and operating.

I'm not saying that's the case, just saying it's possible.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

If that turns out to be the case, I will uninstall and reinstall the new release. I'm just not going to uninstall without knowing why I'm doing it.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by La Luna:

If that turns out to be the case, I will uninstall and reinstall the new release. I'm just not going to uninstall without knowing why I'm doing it.
It's possible you won't necessarily know that has turned out to be the case.

And do you always know why you're installing a new update? Beyond the fact that it's "new", that is?

But, obviously, you should play it whatever way you see fit, Luna.

I was just attempting to toss out a little food for thought.

geierr
Computer Nut
Premium Member
join:2001-07-07
Yakima, WA

1 recommendation

geierr to NICK ADSL UK

Premium Member

to NICK ADSL UK
Thank you for the information as I have not installed this version yet. Will wait until the official version on August 4th (even though I downloaded Update 15 via this posting).