join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall

Re: Knocking hot water heater

Most likely there is a lot of sediment in the bottom of the tank. That insulates the tank from the water and the water boils and forms steam bubbles. Once they leave the bottom of the tank, they hit cooler water and collapse (condense) suddenly.

Not a whole lot you can do about it other than flushing it. If you flush it every year it won't get that way.

The problem occurs here often as there is a lot of rust in the water. WHen it gets worse, it will cause increased pressure and the pressure relief valve will often start venting due to the pressure from the steam.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by shdesigns:

Most likely there is a lot of sediment in the bottom of the tank. That insulates the tank from the water and the water boils and forms steam bubbles. Once they leave the bottom of the tank, they hit cooler water and collapse (condense) suddenly.

Not a whole lot you can do about it other than flushing it. If you flush it every year it won't get that way.

The problem occurs here often as there is a lot of rust in the water. WHen it gets worse, it will cause increased pressure and the pressure relief valve will often start venting due to the pressure from the steam.
We don't have a lot of rust in the water which is good.

I think there is sediment at the bottom of the tank. We have tried flushing with the water intake valve open and closed. Obviously when the valve is open the hot water heater never runs out of water so I can sit there and run it for 10-15 minutes. If the valve is closed, I can empty the tank.

What is the best way to flush it? Valve open or closed?