spc
Search similar:

uniqs

norourke
@rr.com

norourke

Anon

PhonePower setup with Apple Extreme Base Station

need some help setting up the grandstream and AEBS. Using cable for isp so our set up currently goes cable modem > grandsteam>AEBS>mac mini. I have to set the AEBS in bridge mode in order to get an internet connection. Most of our calls are choppy where the person on the other end keeps saying "what". We here them fine. I've looked at the support page for apple but the directs for port forwarding are confusing. With the AEBS in bridge mode I don't have an option for port forwarding. Any thoughts?
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

With the Grandstream connected directly to the modem, port forwarding is not needed and will not affect your calls, because the Grandstream can already "see" anything the modem receives. One possibility is that that other outbound traffic on your LAN is conflicting with the voice traffic. Temporarily disconnect the AEBS from the GS and make a test call. If it's still bad, and you are using a cordless phone, try with a corded phone (possibly, the AEBS is interfering with with the cordless base). If that's not the trouble, either, reconnect everything and test to San Jose at »www.testyourvoip.com/ (requires Java). If your score is less than perfect (4.4), click on See Detailed Results and post them here.
norourke
join:2009-08-03
Cary, NC

norourke to norourke

to norourke
Click for full size
Test Details.pdf
118,388 bytes
MOS Analysis From You TO San Jose
MOS analysis chart
Media Quality
MOS
3.2 / 5.0
(Best with G.711 is 4.4)

Degradation Sources
Codec 0.58 31.4%
Latency 0.12 6.4%
Packet Discards 1.10 60.2%
Packet Loss 0.03 1.9%
Codec G.711 (PCM at 64kbps,
20ms RTP payload,
80kbps IP BW)
Round-Trip
Latency 256 ms
Packet Discards 4.3%
Packet Loss 0.1%
Loss Periods
Min: 20 ms
Avg: 40 ms
Max: 180 ms
Burst Loss
Jitter
Min: 0 ms
Avg: 14 ms
Max: 155 ms
Signaling Quality
Post-Dial Delay 123 ms
Call Setup Time 151 ms
Media Delay 307 ms

MOS Analysis FROM San Jose To You
MOS analysis chart
Media Quality
MOS
3.9 / 5.0
(Best with G.711 is 4.4)

Degradation Sources
Codec 0.57 51.6%
Latency 0.09 8.5%
Packet Discards 0.44 39.8%
Packet Loss 0.00 0.0%
Codec G.711 (PCM at 64kbps,
20ms RTP payload,
80kbps IP BW)
Round-Trip
Latency 256 ms
Packet Discards 2.1%
Packet Loss 0.0%
Loss Periods
Min: 20 ms
Avg: 40 ms
Max: 180 ms
Burst Loss
Jitter
Min: 0 ms
Avg: 4 ms
Max: 151 ms
Signaling Quality
Post-Pickup Delay 153 ms
Call Setup Time 154 ms
Media Delay 184 ms
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

OK, so most of the impairment is caused by packet 'discards'. In VoIP-speak, that refers to voice packets that were delayed in transit and arrived at the server after the time that they were scheduled to be played to the remote party. The server substitutes silence; the result is choppy voice.

It's possible that the problem is caused by your cable modem, cable house wiring, or drop. Your modem probably has a web interface that lets you view signal strength, S/N, retry counts, etc. Or, the cable company should be able to help with this.

Otherwise, your node or other infrastructure in the neighborhood may be overloaded (more bandwidth-hungry customers than the system was built for). If that's the case, you would see much better numbers (and your calls would be clearer) during light traffic times, e.g. in the wee morning hours.

There are forums on this board that deal with specific cable providers and hardware.

If you have no way to improve your Internet connection, and you don't want to switch ISPs, it's possible that Phone Power can make a server-side configuration change to provide a larger 'jitter buffer'. That would improve outbound voice quality, at the expense of longer latency. I'm relatively new with Phone Power myself, so I don't know whether they have that capability. Perhaps one of their engineers can post here with the answer.
dragonartist
join:2009-09-18
Monterey Park, CA

dragonartist to norourke

to norourke
The latency on your line is too high. should be under 50ms at the most. Only the ISP can fix high latency. Nothing that PP does on the server or the adpater will fix it.