how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aikon101

join:2009-07-29

Issues with Time Warner Cable service in New York

Hi There,

I work for a small business in Manhattan. We have about 14 computers on the network, and have been having a problem for the last two weeks where our internet connection hiccups every 10-15 minutes. It wouldn't be that bad, except that it times out all downloads that are going on on the network, so we can't download anything that takes longer than 5-10 minutes. We have TWC Business Class, 15 Mb up 1.5 Mb down running through a cisco router (It's definitely not the router... we've tried 3 different brands.) I've tried running straight off the modem, and it seems to work only when the rest of our network is disconnected from the modem. It seems that it has something to do with multiple computers accessing data at the same time. Things will be going fine until someone else on the network tries to download something. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Natedog321

join:2001-01-10
Newburgh, NY

Call up time warner and have them check your signals.

raffy616

join:2001-01-02
Jersey City, NJ
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to aikon101

IMO, Time Warner Cable has the worst internet connection I've experienced. I work for another cable company in New Jersey and we don't have the same issue as I have here with Time Warner.

We have TWC internet and phone at our church in Sunnyside in Queens. We have the 10/768 service. Problem is that when the upload is close to being fully used, the download just crawls... and I mean crawl. Of course it would take a bit of time to send info if you're doing a speed test while the upload is close the limit, but the download won't even hit more than 2Mbps. Tried the same thing in Jersey City with our service there and we've almost hit the max for the upload with powerboost, and the download still hits close to 12 with powerboost in an instant.

Never had this problem with Comcast in Jersey City with the 12/2 service. Nor the DSL 3/768 in another location in Queens with even higher traffic in that location.

Signals are good. I've already checked in the modem. I tried to ask them how many DOCSIS equipment are there in my node, they told me they can't give me that info. They know I would cancel right away if he told me more than it should be on a node.

Now, our internet and phone service has been on and off for the past 2 days. And they're just telling me, the modem is fine and the signals are fine and there's no outage in the area.

I might have to cancel and opt with the 3/768 Verizon DSL service. At least, even with the slower download speeds, the service is more reliable and won't slow down to a crawl when the upload is close to full usage.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

Oh, the DSL will slow to a crawl, that is bound to happen on connections with a little amount of upload. There's just some settings in the modem such as Turbo TCP and QoS that will prevent that from happening. Normally when uploading I can still upload at full speed and download at full speed at the same time, with 300ms latency, and I have 384kbps of upload too. This is because I have Turbo TCP enabled.
--
It's all fun and games in a Team Fortress 2 battle until your sentry gun is sapped by the Spycrab!

raffy616

Jersey City, NJ

That's what it's supposed to be. I work for a cable company in New Jersey and Time Warner Cable's internet service here in Queens is the worst. It feels like the service is half-duplex when you're using the upload close to the full limit.

Only thing I can't do is change all the wiring because they've made sure I won't be able to access it or I'll change everything and make sure it's not the wiring. I'm willing to help them if necessary but they won't even make an appointment for them to check the wires.

I do business installs too with the same equipment and I'm not having issues with them. The thing about our DSL service in another Queens location is that when we use the upload, the download doesn't slow down to a crawl like my TWC internet here on our current location. At least it's usable and reliable. But the one we have on this location, once you upload something, the service is just almost useless. Accessing yahoo.com or google.com will make you really angry.

kamm

join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Smith6612

said by Smith6612:

Oh, the DSL will slow to a crawl, that is bound to happen on connections with a little amount of upload.
This is simply not true. You need a VERY HIGH number of packet traffic to see this problem.

There's just some settings in the modem such as Turbo TCP and QoS that will prevent that from happening. Normally when uploading I can still upload at full speed and download at full speed at the same time, with 300ms latency, and I have 384kbps of upload too. This is because I have Turbo TCP enabled.
I think it's nonsense.
It's usually overloaded backhaul/node problem, nothing else - and TWCNYC is well-known for its bandwidth-strapped nodes..
--
[BQUOTE=[user=bicker]]Waaaa waaaa waaaa. You just want what you want and don't care to factor in what is right or true. Your perspectives are un-American, and deserve far more ridicule than I'm prepared to pile on them.
[/BQUOTE]

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

4 edits

If I wasn't having my modem pull back my upload speeds slightly when uploading and downloading at top speed simultaneously, my line would be very slow. The Verizon line without some QoS becomes as slow as 48kbps dial-up when uploading files having a latency of 3000ms. With the modem doing some QoS, it can maintain 150-300ms latency when uploading and downloading and the line remains pretty snappy. The SpeedStream on the Frontier line already has some QoS working on it when I upload, so the same thing happens on that line too. So it does happen. Everything on my end I've checked and have messed with already. I've had the same thing happen on a few cable connections with less than a megabit of upload.

For Time Warner having overloaded nodes and them being known for such a thing, I know that. Otherwise I must have misworded myself above.
--
It's all fun and games in a Team Fortress 2 battle until your sentry gun is sapped by the Spycrab!

raffy616

Jersey City, NJ
reply to aikon101

We have subscribed to the 3/768 Verizon DSL Service as a backup since we're only getting it for $29.99/month. Being about 9K ft away from the CO, we can't avail the 7/768.

We actually tortured the DSL Service with our regular usage, plus additional traffic from our special services last week and it worked fine. Upload was close to limit at around 550Kbps, and we were still able to surf the net at reasonable speeds/times.

Only reason I'm holding on the TWC service is because my salesperson have given me a written guarantee that she'll be able to offer me the DOCSIS 3.0 service without penalties or upgrade charges, should they offer it during my contract. So while TWC would be able to split nodes or whatever upgrade they can do in my area, I'll have the TWC service as my primary connection for some of my traffic, and back it up with the cheaper DSL service.

CrazE63

join:2009-09-03
Charlotte, NC
reply to aikon101

Just curious but does any of your routers have the adjusment for changing the amount of users it can control. I know that some do and they are usually set to some low number like 5 users and if too many get on then the router kicks off the other users. I think you said the modem levels were good, how did you find out what they were? and what were they?

raffy616

Jersey City, NJ

My router is not limited to 5 users. I tried to do QoS to prioritize 1 PC for video broadcasting, but it slowed down everyone that I reconfigured it back to defualt settings.

If you're using the upload close to limit, (let's say around 500Kbps) it slows down our download to a crawl, not even hitting 1Mbps. That was the problem I'm having. DSL is the same way, but at least on their 3Mbps service, I would at least get 1Mbps on the download if I'm close to or at their peak allowable upload bandwidth.

The modems have a default page you can access thru an internet browser. It depends on which modem you have, usually 192.168.100.1. But it all depends on your modem, google your modem model and see which one to use. Some modems though (specially the ones with built-in router/gateway), have a username and password to access that page.