how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chrisd11

join:2009-05-18
Hernando, MS

skyfx

Anyone tried skyfx lately? If so, how is it as far as speed, latency, reliability, ease of installation?

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ
Are you sure they are still in business. Everything on their web site is dated 2006. I thought they went out of business in 2007. Could be wrong.
--
9000 spaceway III, 7000S SatMex 5 990, Dlink wirless

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit
reply to chrisd11
They morph'd into StarConnect in 2007. But their website doesn't appear to have been update in two years either. I'm sorta getting the impression they morph'd also - into SkyWay. Caveat Emptor

//greg//

RPeters

join:2007-04-02
Charlotte, NC
reply to chrisd11
I'm still on Skyfx. couple years now. Thet switched me over to Brightstar for a couple of months then sent me a new modem and repointed my dish. $40 bucks monthly. No downtime. I got them on the 800 line during a storm last month.

chrisd11

Hernando, MS
reply to chrisd11
Thanks for the reply Rpeters. How is the speed compared to dial up, other sat. systems, & wireless evdo type internet? My only options are satellite or wireless thru evdo. The only problem is that the only option for evdo is Sprint & the signal is so weak that I will have to spend money on antennas & amps and such, and still don't know if it will work even then. Also is the company still Skyfx or is it now Skyusa, or some other entity? Is there a cap or fap limitation?

RPeters

Charlotte, NC
I have the silver pkg. I been with them since 2006. I pay 40 bucks. I go out at 28.8 on a good day with the phone line and we are always receiving in the 400-500k range using the router. I had tried the 727 aircard from Verizon but I had the same problem living in a minimal signal zone. About the fap and stuff they never did anything to me and I'm a Netflix buff. I can't say anything bad. It never stopped working. I don't know if they merged or not. I go to www.skyfx.us to get my mail. They are also at www.verizsat.com.

chrisd11

Hernando, MS
Hey Rpeters, thanks for the good info. How is it just browsing the web. Do pages load pretty quick?

RPeters

Charlotte, NC
You know, I think it really is quick, toast.net loads and tests is less than 4 seconds with the Shuttle picture. We have a router and my neighbor is drawing off it at the same time today and we did notice that it slowed down a bit. It still streams without buffering but the pages don't load as fast as when we had just the one PC on it.

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ
I find it incredible that they allow more than one phone line to connect to the same account at the same time. Or is that not how the neighbor is uploading data.
--
9000 spaceway III, 7000S SatMex 5 990, Dlink wirless

chrisd11

Hernando, MS
Sounds to me like the neighbor is using the wireless connection from the router. So RPeters & the neighbor are using the same phone line (upload) & satellite (download) to connect. That being the phone line & sat. at RPeters house.

The upload has to be miserable. Especially if anyone uses face book, etc to upload graphics.

RPeters

Charlotte, NC
You 're right about the upload. It's just dial-up. If you're just surfing it loads great even with my neighbor on at the same time, but sending files is noticibly slow.

chrisd11,

The primary modem is on my phone line and my dish. The wireless router allows her to go both ways. She can even start a session remotely without my main CPU on at all. This is good because she has a very big husband and I try not to go over unless he's there. LOL.