Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BabyDoc

join:2009-08-05
Havertown, PA

1 edit

Can anyone help with NIM100 setup?

I have posted this inside another thread but my question got somewhat lost in several unrelated discussions so I thought I would start a new dedicated thread. I apologize for the repeat in advance. I am trying to connect ethernet to my TIVO using a NIM100. I connected the coax off the main splitter to the NIM100 via the RF IN and the coax to the TIVO via RF out. Then CAT5 from NIM100 to laptop to check for a network connection before attaching to the TIVO. I cannot connect to the internet like this nor after swapping the RF IN and OUT connections. Only the front LED for "Networking" lights up on the NIM, not the LED for "RF". I went to other rooms in the house and tried connecting via other coax cables off the main splitter but still no go. I turned power to the NIM on then attached the connections as it says in the startup guide.

It's gonna cost me several hundred bucks to run CAT5 from the second floor down to the TIVO. I have old wiring so a power outlet setup isn't gonna work. I want to do multiroom TIVO so WiFi won't do, I really need this thing to work. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong??

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
Sounds like it could be a bad NIM-100.

If the RF light is not coming on, then the NIM-100 is not recognizing the presence of a RF signal on the coax.

I'm assuming all your splitters are rated 1Ghz.

•Try connecting a PC directly to the NIM-100.
•Do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE and /RENEW on the PC. The PC should assign itself a 169.254.1.x address.
•Browse to »169.254.1.1

You should be presented with the NIM-100 login screen. The password is "entropic" (without quotes).
•Go to the SETUP screen.

Under LAN:
•Be sure config type is C.LINK LOCAL.

Under COAX:
•Check the status screen to verify communication with the Actiontec (or check the coax stats screen on the Actiontec).
•Make sure then channel number set in the NIM-100 matches the Actiontec (usually channel 1).

Note: Be careful when changing settings on the NIM-100. It is possible to "brick" the NIM-100.

sfavretto

@verizon.net
reply to BabyDoc
what you are trying to do requires a moca capable router. we only installed nim"s when we first did fios because we were using dlink routers and they would not see the set-top boxes. also i have done what your trying to do but instead of a tivo it was a pc i connected but the connection was spotty so i ended up running the cat 5 for the customer I dealt with.

hope that helps

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
said by sfavretto :

what you are trying to do requires a moca capable router.
Since BabyDoc See Profile has FIOS (see this thread), then he already has a MOCA capable router.

Have you read this FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

Many posters (even non-FIOS posters) have used NIM-100s and/or Actiontecs as MOCA bridges successfully. If you had a spotty connection, then you had a coax issue.

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA
Do you have an Actiontec or Westell router? That NIM100 can't serve as a network bridge unless you have a MoCA-compatible device (Actiontec or Westell) to bridge to on the other end.

Assuming you have an Actiontec or Westell router, then it sounds like the Motorola NIM100 is defective.

There may be another possibility. It is possible that the former owner of your NIM100 enabled encryption, and this encryption is preventing it from syncing with your Actiontec/Westell router. To check, follow the instructions in the below post:

said by More Fiber:

In my earlier post I stated there was nothing to configure with the NIM-100s, that they are plug and play. That is usually the case. However, it is possible to configure both the Actiontec and NIM-100s to use a non-standard MOCA channel (and password).

On the Actiontec:
  • Click on MY NETWORK icon
  • Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left
  • Make sure ADVANCED view is enabled.
  • Click on coax
    • Select CONFIGURE CONNECTION
    • From the CHANNEL pull down, select a specific channel. This must be the same channel used by the NIM-100. Westells and Actiontec Rev E routers support MOCA channels not available on the NIM-100.
    • Make sure MOCA privacy is enabled.
    • In the PASSWORD field, enter a MOCA network encryption password (12-17 numeric characters).
    • Click OK

On each NIM-100:
  • Connect a PC directly to the NIM-100.
  • Do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE and /RENEW on the PC. The PC should assign itself a 169.254.1.x address.
  • Browse to »169.254.1.1
    You should be presented with the NIM-100 login screen. The password is "entropic" (without quotes).
  • Go to the SETUP screen.
      Under LAN:
    • Be sure config type is C.LINK LOCAL.
      Under COAX:
    • Select the same channel selected on the Actiontec.
    • Select NETWORK SECURITY SETTINGS
      • Enter the same MOCA network encryption password (12-17 numeric characters) that you entered on the Actiontec.
      • Click APPLY
    • Click APPLY on the SETUP screen.
  • Reboot the NIM-100.
  • Login again
  • Check the status screen to verify communication with the Actiontec (or check the coax stats screen on the Actiontec).

Note: Be careful when changing settings on the NIM-100. It is possible to "brick" the NIM-100.

BabyDoc

Havertown, PA
said by KenAF:

Do you have an Actiontec or Westell router? That NIM100 can't serve as a network bridge unless you have a MoCA-compatible device (Actiontec or Westell) to bridge to on the other end.
I am by no means an expert on networking. How does the NIM and router communicate? There is only Coax going into the router and CAT5 out to my PC upstairs. No Coax out of the router. This is a rough schematic.

ONT--Coax--> Splitter---Coax--->MI424WR--CAT5-->PC
_______________|
|
Coax
|
|
V
NIM100--Coax--> Tivo
|___CAT-5_______|

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

4 edits
The coax connection to the Actiontec MI424WR is two-way. My setup is very similar to yours, except I have the Westell (and until recently, the Actiontec) with two NIM100s.

If you've confirmed that encryption is not enabled on your NIM100, then it sounds to me like it is defective. I bought three NIM100s and one was defective.

The NIM100's status screen should report the details, if any, on communication with the Actiontec.

BabyDoc

Havertown, PA
said by KenAF:

The coax connection to the Actiontec MI424WR is two-way.

If you've confirmed that encryption is not enabled on your NIM100, then it sounds to me like it is defective. I bought three NIM100s and one was defective.

The NIM100's status screen should report the details, if any, on communication with the Actiontec.
Got it. Thanks.

So I tried the whole IPCONFIG/ RELEASE and /RENEW thing.
I get a blank screen for about a minute and never see any results. When I try and browse to the NIM I get nothing. I'm afraid the thing maybe a brick. I don't see what I could be doing wrong. The RF LED on the NIM isn't lit. Only the networking icon.

urkelOs

join:2008-03-02
reply to BabyDoc
I don't know for sure if this will fix it for you BabyDoc, but I (and others) could not get the coax pass-through to work on the NIM100. Don't know why this happens, but my setup is as follows:

Connect a splitter to the coax coming out of the wall. Next, connect a cable from one output of the splitter to the coax input of the TiVo. Connect another coax cable from the second output of the splitter to the NIM100 coax input. Run an ethernet cable from the NIM100 to the TiVo's ethernet port (or to a switch/router/etc.).

I have a feeling this will work for you. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. Good luck.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to BabyDoc
After doing the IPCONFIG /RENEW, did your PC should have had a 169.254.1.x address? You need to have a 169.254.1.x address to be able to browse to the NIM-100.

The fact that the RF light is not coming on and that you can not access the configuration page implies both RF and ethernet are dead. I hope the seller on eBay honors returns.

One other long shot, read my post here for some ideas regarding coax stats and attenuators.

Telcoguru
Premium
join:2005-08-22
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to BabyDoc
I use a wireless bridge( »www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/pro ··· /Bridges) and it works fine for me.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to urkelOs
said by urkelOs:

I don't know for sure if this will fix it for you BabyDoc, but I (and others) could not get the coax pass-through to work on the NIM100. Don't know why this happens,
Why pass-through doesn't work for you and others, I don't know. But I do know pass-through works for me feeding TV-signal to a DCT-700 through a NIM-100. Pass-through works in my configuration whether the NIM-100 is powered or not.

coax -> NIM-100 -> coax -> DCT-700

mark_e

join:2009-03-09
Columbia, MD
said by birdfeedr:

said by urkelOs:

I don't know for sure if this will fix it for you BabyDoc, but I (and others) could not get the coax pass-through to work on the NIM100. Don't know why this happens,
Why pass-through doesn't work for you and others, I don't know. But I do know pass-through works for me feeding TV-signal to a DCT-700 through a NIM-100. Pass-through works in my configuration whether the NIM-100 is powered or not.

coax -> NIM-100 -> coax -> DCT-700
Pass through worked fine for me as well. The (not highly accurate) TiVo signal strength indicator didn't show an insertion loss that could be measured.