spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Wilbur
@sbcglobal.net

Wilbur

Anon

Thinking of getting 50mb package

A friend told me that if I get the 50mb package, that I won't actually be aloud to use it. He says that comcast will throttle my connection if I do use it. Is this true, and if it is, isn't this false advertising?

NathanO
join:2008-08-21
Seattle, WA
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

2 edits

1 recommendation

NathanO

You have a 250gb cap, but no one here (that i am aware of) has reported connection throttling. People see ~62mbps of powerboost, and 55mbps sustained. Upload speeds are a constant of around 10-11mbps (no real powerboost, until they get upstream channel bonding)

Wilbur
@sbcglobal.net

Wilbur to Wilbur

Anon

to Wilbur
So then, I would be able to use it for 13 hours at full speed, and then what?

NathanO
join:2008-08-21
Seattle, WA

1 edit

NathanO

and then you get a nasty gram, do it again... bye bye internet. Get a business package. (it would actually only be 11.2 hrs, or 40,000 seconds)

Now that I think about it... wow... you can only use you internet for 12 hrs!
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to Wilbur

Premium Member

to Wilbur
said by Wilbur :

So then, I would be able to use it for 13 hours at full speed, and then what?
If you are going to move a non-residential quantity of data, it is a good idea to have a business account. Supposedly there is a soft cap on low end business accounts of between 2-2.5TB per month.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Why do you think Comcast Business caps at 2.5TB? I don't see anywhere that states that cap.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by brianiscool:

Why do you think Comcast Business caps at 2.5TB? I don't see anywhere that states that cap.
I've read a few posts indicating that the low end Comcast business services have a soft 2-2.5TB per month cap. One post I recall indicated Comcast would ask a company using much over 2.5TB per month to upgrade to a fiber service.

Most residential customers seeking to evade the cap (I am one) go to Comcast starter business. Which is the lowest tier of Comcast business service.

The Comcast Small and Medium business TOS seem to indicate there are soft restrictions, check here - »www.comcast.com/Corporat ··· use.html
Are there restrictions on data consumption that apply to the Service?

The Service is for commercial use only in a small, medium, or large business as determined by the applicable Business Services Agreement. Therefore, Comcast reserves the right to suspend or terminate Service accounts where data consumption is not characteristic of a typical commercial user of the Service as determined by the company in its sole discretion, or where it exceeds published data consumption limitations. Common activities that may cause excessive data consumption in violation of this Policy include, but are not limited to, numerous or continuous bulk transfers of files and other high capacity traffic using (i) file transfer protocol (“FTP”), (ii) peer-to-peer applications, and (iii) newsgroups. Your business must also ensure that its use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, or degrade any other person’s use of the Service, nor represent (as determined by Comcast in its sole discretion) an overly large burden on the network. In addition, your business must ensure that its use of the Service does not limit or interfere with Comcast’s ability to deliver and monitor the Service or any part of its network.

If your business uses the Service in violation of the restrictions referenced above, that is a violation of this Policy. In these cases, Comcast may, in its sole discretion, suspend or terminate your business’ Service account or request that it subscribe to a different version of the Service if it wishes to continue to use the Service at higher data consumption levels. Comcast may also provide versions of the Service with different speed and data consumption limitations, among other characteristics, subject to applicable Business Services Agreements. Comcast’s determination of the data consumption for Service accounts is final.
I
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Wow that is a lot of bandwidth. I don't get near that on my business line.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to Wilbur

to Wilbur
Please keep questions/discussion of the bandwidth cap in this topic --->
»The Bandwidth Limits/Congestion Management Topic

From the first post in that topic:
Caps and DOCSIS 3.0:
»What is Comcast word on the 250GB cap for the Docsis 3 tiers
»DOCSIS 3.0 has the same cap, so far
»[Speed] is the bandwidth cap applicable on 50/10 plan