Search similar:

uniqs
tjrose
join:2009-08-10

tjrose

[connectivity] DSL without NID?

Hi All,

Ok, I'm going to try and explain this question/issue as best I can, here goes-

I recently signed up for DSL with a local provider. I am getting dry loop DSL... no phone service. Fairpoint Communications owns all the telephone lines here (Maine) and my ISP provides service over their lines.
I live in an old house with a bakelite style NID in the basement. Basically just posts that the copper wraps around and a ground wire is attached.
The telco doesn't want to install a NID 'cause I'm not their customer...

So, I thought "Ah, hell with it, I'll just connect directly to the copper coming in and bypass any NID". I don't need phone service throughout the house, I just need a single wire coming straight to my modem & router.

So I've got this thick black cable coming into the basement, and within, it has two thick copper wires. Those wires were wrapped around the posts on the bakelite NID.

For testing purposes, I just split open a standard phone cord, stripped the wires and wrapped them directly to the thick copper wires from outside. Then the other end of this phone cord plugs right into the modem.

The wires are very clean and well stripped, so conductivity shouldn't be a problem.

Still getting no sync at the modem.
Also, I forgot to mention, the service *is* on at the wire, according to Fairpoint.

Should this work in theory, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Jack Alan
@verizon.net

Jack Alan

Anon

I live in an old house with a bakelite style NID in the basement. Basically just posts that the copper wraps around and a ground wire is attached.
The telco doesn't want to install a NID 'cause I'm not their customer...

I looked around the 'web' and found this same issue up to three years ago.

The simple protector was said to not work for DSL. I don't know why but likely issues with electric considerations like impedence, and so forth.

The answer was from a Bell South area and they said they install the NID for no charge. As far as I know this is an FCC requirement, as the company responsible for the wires is responsible up to and includeing the NID. As for you not being a customer, well you are indirectly because the DSL company is on the wire. So use them to get things moving for your NID.

That's my take on it.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to tjrose

MVM

to tjrose
You probably have an old style carbon-block protector.

Since you opted for dry-line is is hard to tell if the problem is DSL has not yet been activated or if there is a problem with the protector.

Removing the drop from the protector is very dangerous. It functions as a lightning arrester shunting excessive voltage to ground.

I'd contact your ISP and find out if DSL has been activated. Then tell them you do not have a NID and request they have FairPoint install a proper NID.

/tom

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to tjrose

to tjrose
You're getting more replies in your thread here: »DSL without a NID?