Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper to Dan2112

Premium Member

to Dan2112

Re: Feeling "left out" in San Jose....

said by Dan2112:

With no offense - then why knowing this thread was about San Jose would you ask me to call or email support to get a loop length for a non-existent service?
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Our staff can give you an exact current CO distance today. (If the sales rep cannot obtain this specific info, have them push to DSL provisioning or support for that data.)

The Fusion products are available out to 11,100ft. Knowing this gives you an idea of whether or not you'll be in range when we do finally deliver down there.

If for example you wanted 30Mbps/2Mbps bonded, you'd be limited to 5,000ft. If you wanted 12Mbps/1Mbps or 18Mbps/2Mbps bonded, those are limited to 6,500ft.

So if they were to say that you are 25,000ft from the CO, and 3000ft from a remote terminal, you'd be able to make a near term decision better informed. (Buy AT&T line shared today from us at up to 6Mbps, or Comcast, or U-Verse, etc.)

"Knowing is half the battle" or whatever, right?

-Dane

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk

Premium Member

And I emailed support just like you said and got a loop length from them. When it is good to go, I will be too.
Dan2112
join:2001-08-24
San Jose, CA

Dan2112 to DaneJasper

to DaneJasper
Ah - that clears things up considerably. With that I have now asked support for my loop length to the CO. Thanks for the clarification.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

said by Dan2112:

Ah - that clears things up considerably. With that I have now asked support for my loop length to the CO. Thanks for the clarification.
Of course, sorry for any confusion!

-Dane
Dan2112
San Jose, CA

Dan2112

I am over 11,000 feet from the CO and 2,500 from the RT. Do any of the future plans for San Jose include RT deployments?

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

said by Dan2112:

I am over 11,000 feet from the CO and 2,500 from the RT. Do any of the future plans for San Jose include RT deployments?
RTs are being considered, but if and when we did RT deployments they would likely be in the North Bay. It's not a realistic expectation for San Jose, at least in the forseeable future.

-Dane
Dan2112
San Jose, CA

Dan2112

said by DaneJasper:

RTs are being considered, but if and when we did RT deployments they would likely be in the North Bay. It's not a realistic expectation for San Jose, at least in the forseeable future.

-Dane
Ouch! This is bad news for anybody in San Jose who is not within 11,000 feet of the CO. Anybody in San Jose on a RT who wants faster internet is limited to either ATT U-Verse or Comcast. So truth be told I really am "left out" by Sonic in San Jose when it comes to future deployments.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

said by Dan2112:

said by DaneJasper:

-Dane
Ouch! This is bad news for anybody in San Jose who is not within 11,000 feet of the CO. Anybody in San Jose on a RT who wants faster internet is limited to either ATT U-Verse or Comcast. So truth be told I really am "left out" by Sonic in San Jose when it comes to future deployments.

For the foreseeable future, this is correct. Our fastest product there would be 6Mbps via an AT&T line from the RT.

I don't want to over-promise and have anyone get their hopes up - we need to be realistic about our products. For customers who are close in, pair bonded 30Mbps/4Mbps is coming, and that's real exciting, but for those far from their CO, our offerings will be limited to 6Mbps for quite some time.

-Dane

bobrk
Premium Member
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk

Premium Member

said by DaneJasper:

For customers who are close in, pair bonded 30Mbps/4Mbps is coming,
Is 7700 feet "close in?"

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

said by bobrk:

said by DaneJasper:

Is 7700 feet "close in?"
No, it's not close, but it's not awful either.

At distances like that, our up to 6Mbps/1Mbps service is available today, with 12Mbps/2Mbps pair bonded coming shortly. You'll also see bumps in the upstream speeds in both of these products too in future.

-Dane

bobrk
Premium Member
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk

Premium Member

said by DaneJasper:
said by bobrk:
said by DaneJasper:

Is 7700 feet "close in?"
No, it's not close, but it's not awful either.

At distances like that, our up to 6Mbps/1Mbps service is available today, with 12Mbps/2Mbps pair bonded coming shortly. You'll also see bumps in the upstream speeds in both of these products too in future.

-Dane
I have 6MB now from the RT.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

If you're interested in double that speed, keep an eye out for the bonded product announcement.

-Dane