how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tsx500

join:2009-08-18
Homer Glen, IL

DCX3400 settings...Native or 1080i ?

i just got a dcx3400. my home theatre setup is 3400 to Denon avr-2807 hdmi receiver to Pioneer pro Elite fhd-1 plasma(1080p), all via hdmi cables. how should i setup my 3400 to output video? do i go Native or 1080i ? (and when , if ever, should i use the 720p option ?). certain local hd stations here in Chicago (Fox,ABC) and probably others, are native 720p. is there an advantage to watching certain types of programming (sports ?) in their native 720p vs. converting the signal to 1080i ? also, regarding the Audio output setting on 3400, should i choose Auto, l-pcm, or Passthrough ? thanks for any advice and help !

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits

Here is the generic answer: Any given picture resolution may require some conversion, depending on the native resolution of your TV. So, the question becomes, where do you want the conversion to take place? If you think the STB can do the conversion better, then set the STB to your TV's native resolution. If you think your TV can do it better (probably the case for everyone), then set the STB to Native. You can always just experiment to see which you like better.

I have an LCD, whose native resolution is 720p. My STB is set to Native, which means that my TV is doing the conversions, and the PQ in HD is better than it was with the previous STB, a DCT-3416.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to tsx500

I second Native. Give it a shot. As long as you don't have any problems keep it on Native. Some people fix the resolution to save time from their TV from resyncing the different resolutions when changing channels.

This is Motorola's first attempt at implementing a Native mode however. You may experience buggy behavior from green screens to distorted pictures to audio lagging behind, or even incorrect resolution switching depending on the order that you power up your equipment.

Scientific Atlanta and Pace are much more refined in this area. They've had a Native option since the beginning when their first HD boxes ever came to market. So with that being said if you see tricky behavior with the Motorola just switch it to 1080i, or 720p and see what looks best. There are more 1080i channels so that's what my DCH-3416 is set to. But def. give Native a try and see if it behaves with your setup!

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Verizon Broadban..
·Clear Wireless
reply to tsx500

Hope you like your new box! I know i like my dcx box!

I have an insignia 26 inch 720p tv. (Cheap but for the price has a GREAT picture quality! Highly recommend for bedroom or something). I set mine on native. It would switch from 720p to 1080i and to 480i and occasionally to 480p (comcast central channels). I got sick of it though. When i am up late and feel like going channel to channel, everytime i changed the channel, it would go black for a second or two. Channel 2 to 3.. Black! 3 to 4... Black! The channel did not change resolution! Why do this? If i am watching something like futurama on comedy central , the 30 second skip and try to go past some local ads (the ones that comcast puts in) it goes black for a second or two after each press of skip.

I put my box at 1080i and sd to stretch. The sd picture looks better on my tv in 1080i stretch vs. 480. Not sure why.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

1 edit

said by djdanska:

Hope you like your new box! I know i like my dcx box!

I have an insignia 26 inch 720p tv. (Cheap but for the price has a GREAT picture quality! Highly recommend for bedroom or something). I set mine on native. It would switch from 720p to 1080i and to 480i and occasionally to 480p (comcast central channels). I got sick of it though. When i am up late and feel like going channel to channel, everytime i changed the channel, it would go black for a second or two. Channel 2 to 3.. Black! 3 to 4... Black! The channel did not change resolution! Why do this? If i am watching something like futurama on comedy central , the 30 second skip and try to go past some local ads (the ones that comcast puts in) it goes black for a second or two after each press of skip.

I put my box at 1080i and sd to stretch. The sd picture looks better on my tv in 1080i stretch vs. 480. Not sure why.
Does this 2 second black screen issue happen with both HDMI and Component hook up?

Also is your HDMI and or component hooked up direct to your TV or to your receiver?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Every TV responds differently to resolution changes, and may respond different between analog (component) and digital (HDMI/DVI).

On my TV, using component, it seems a bit faster, but you do see the screen smear out for a second. With digital, it blanks out for a second or 2 so as not to frighten people.

I always hate long sync changes. A few years ago, I kept using an older monitor at work as some of the newer ones would balnk out for 3-4 seconds when switching between resolutions (such as Windows graphics to a DOS full-screen).

tvtek
Live life to its fullest
Premium
join:2004-03-07
Concord, CA
reply to tsx500

I have a Scientific Atlanta box and set it to 1080i. My TV is a Samsung DLP with a 720p chassis in it. However when I set the box to 720p the TV guide and most text appeared to be blocks, but when I had it put out 1080i the graphics are much smoother. Its just of matter of trial and error to see what suits you best.
--
"Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect"
Steven Wright.

aine

join:2009-09-21
San Diego, CA
reply to gate1975mlm

said by gate1975mlm:

Also is your HDMI and or component hooked up direct to your TV or to your receiver?
This seems to be the key for my similar issue. When the box is directly connected to the TV, no problems. However, when the box is connected to my receiver (stereo), and THEN to the TV, I get the problem described.

Basically, the problem is that the box keeps flip-flopping between 1080i and 720p. Pardon my ignorance, but I suppose HDMI has some two-way communication, where possibly the box and the receiver aren't communicating properly... is that possible?

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by aine:

said by gate1975mlm:

This seems to be the key for my similar issue. When the box is directly connected to the TV, no problems. However, when the box is connected to my receiver (stereo), and THEN to the TV, I get the problem described.

Basically, the problem is that the box keeps flip-flopping between 1080i and 720p. Pardon my ignorance, but I suppose HDMI has some two-way communication, where possibly the box and the receiver aren't communicating properly... is that possible?
If you have the box set to Native mode, it is suposed to switch resolutions to match what is being transmitted. That is proper operation.

aine

join:2009-09-21
San Diego, CA

said by owlyn:

If you have the box set to Native mode, it is suposed to switch resolutions to match what is being transmitted. That is proper operation.
Sorry, I should have been more clear -- when I said the box "keeps flip flopping between 1080i and 720p", the symptom is this: I tune the box to a channel like ABC. TV goes black while it tries to tune, box says 1080i, receiver says Dolby 5.1 .. fine. Two seconds later, flash on the screen, box says 720p, receiver drops to two-channel audio (2.0). Two seconds later, another flash and then black, back to 1080i and DD 5.1. Then back to 720p on box and 2.0 on receiver. Etc. Cycle repeats endlessly.

Some sort of miscommunication between the box and my (new) Sony receiver. As I said, connecting the box directly to the TV, with the same cable, no issues.

Just looking to see if anyone has any troubleshooting ideas. Otherwise, I will keep tinkering, switching cables, etc. Maybe set the box to always output 1080i instead of 'native'.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

Maybe it's your receiver upscaling, downscaling, whatever. My Onkyo has the ability to shut that off. Try that.

At home I have the HDMI going to the TV and an optical cable going to the receiver. I avoid any potential receiver/box conflicts that way.

Have you tried a non-native mode into your receiver? I would guess that you wouldn't have problems if you did that.