Search similar:

uniqs

SoCal Man
@verizon.net

SoCal Man

Anon

[DVR] Transferring recorded programs from HD DVR to PC or DVD

Here's my question:

I currently have a FIOS HD/ DVR STB that is going to be replaced. I have a lot of TV shows and movies that I would like to save but I do not know how to transfer them to a pc or burn to DVD. The DVR I have does have a usb port on the front of the unit and I'm curious to know if anyone has had success copying the files over to a pc.

I talked with a person at the company who said it can be done. If anyone has this information, please advise. As it is, I already have another DVR sitting on the shelf with content that I cannot access and I don't care to have another.

Your help is appreciated.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Re: [DVR] Transferring recorded programs from HD DVR to PC or DV

The only way to do it is to play back all your videos in real time and record them to a DVR recorder (or your PC if it has the right kind of video inputs and software).

You can not use the USB port, or firewire, only the video out connections, IIRC.

adgfhka092
@verizon.net

adgfhka092 to SoCal Man

Anon

to SoCal Man
You can pick up a Hauppauge HD PVR which can record analog signals, component or s-video with audio as well. Make sure that your PC has the system requirements before purchasing.

You can also use the firewire output on the STB. I'm not sure what programs you would need to copy to PC, since I do my firewire recording straight to my Macbook Pro. This process gives you a digital copy of your recordings. If you are interested in learning more, visit the AVS forums which has a wealth of info on this subject. Hint, look in the Home Theatre PC section (HTPC).

Juan Denver
@verizon.net

Juan Denver to SoCal Man

Anon

to SoCal Man
A DVHS deck is quite good for HD recording, and you can find them for decent prices on e-bay, and you will often find tape bundles with tapes about 5-6 dollars apiece. The Hauppauge HD-PVR is excellent, but H.264 editing of commercial programs is not as smooth as MPEG-2 editing would be due to the compression method. The main difference in quality between the HD-PVR and a DVHS deck is that a DVHS deck uses firewire inputs so you get a perfect bit for bit recording of the original program, and it looks a little bit smoother with truer colors (though many may not even notice this; especially with LCD and Plasma displays versus the superior CRT, LED, or Laservue pictures). If you get the HD-PVR you need to know you'll likely have to power cycle it a handful of times to get the best picture (and I also record a small snippet and then power cycle and then open the screen again then close then open it to try and get the maximum output, though I'm not sure all of that is truly necessary aside from the power cycling).

One real problem I've been having with my DVHS deck though is that on channels with a CCI 0x02 encoding (to check on this, enter the diagnostic screen by pressing power and quickly pressing the OK button twice on the remote, go to selection 6 for channel data), like the 2 HDNet channels and HBO, Showtime, TMC, Starz, and Cinemax 1 (and 1 West for Cinemax), the recording is not smooth and will not really be watchable. This should not be a problem as DVHS decks are HDCP compliant and so this is basically illegal encoding. These channels have also given me many problems with my Fios DVR. I have filed a complaint, and I hope others have. There were more channels with the copy once encoding (a very random selection that even included QVC HD for some reason; why someone would not want people to record QVC- or why one would even want to in the first place- is beyond me), but they have changed to DRM 0x01, which does not offer these problems. Hopefully the remaining channels will be changed back to DRM 0x01 as they were prior to early June. The HD-PVR has no such issues, though the recent spout of component cable issues with the boxes (an issue that also popped up around the same time as the CCI 0x02 issues, among other problems; basically the cable picture cuts out at sporadic times for some people), can cause continuity errors in the recording. The errors seem to drop out when you unplug the box for a few minutes (coaxial and power plug, though not sure both are necessary), plug it back in, let it finish booting up, and disconnect the coaxial cable without hitting the menu button, hitting menu once the coaxial cable is unplugged, and then recording straight from your DVR. For some reason On Demand programs do not have the component cable issues though.

Certain channels can also be recorded onto one's computer via firewire connection and the right drivers and programs (like DVHS Cap); with the core 5 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, The CW), PBS, and cable access channels not having any DRM protection whatsoever due to FCC governed law. Video ReDo is the best program for editing out commercials and such and is worth the price.

DVD recorders will look noticeably inferior in terms of picture quality if you are recording HD programs. The picture on good DVDR's is not necessarily bad, just not HD quality.

Hope this helps.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to SoCal Man

Premium Member

to SoCal Man
I've never had any problem transferring or copying any programs from FIOS channels digitally with my TiVos. The flags are set here to allow copies and transfers.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to SoCal Man

to SoCal Man
TIVO is about the only DVR that allows data transfer. None of the cable providers allow that, obliging the studios' piracy concerns of course.

SoCal Man
@verizon.net

SoCal Man to SoCal Man

Anon

to SoCal Man
I was considering just playing the stuff in real time and trying to record to an Aspire Digital DVD recorder. Strange thing is this unit has two bays (1 for playback, the other for recording) and the record functions will not work. By the way this is my parents set up and there is no tech manual for me to reference. I understand the manufacturer went under, so if this would be a good option I would appreciate your input.

I'm undertaking this project for my parents but the budget is not there at this time for acquisition of new equipment or software. Any assistance is welcome.

...and thanks for the responses thus far - they are appreciated!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

So what you have doesn't work and you can't buy anything else. I'm at a complete loss as to what anyone can do to help, at this point

Ultimately, you need an external (working) recording device of some kind, that's your only option.

WileEC
mindtaker, macky cat, etc.
join:2002-02-07
Yonkers, NY

1 edit

WileEC to SoCal Man

to SoCal Man
Too bad about their budget, because a TiVo would be perfect. TiVos have a built in web server interface that allows you to browse the recorded contents from your PC and transfer whatever you want there (unless it is copy-protected, like a vid-rental from Amazon). From your PC, you can either play the video as it is, or you can acquire a proggy that will let you strip the TiVo DRM and edit the video to your heart's content. The great part is that the TiVo records the digital video/audio streams verbatim, with no extra compression and when you transfer the recordings to your PC they look and sound perfect (or as good as they did when verizon sent the channel to your TiVo). Oh yes, and although TiVos don't support VZ video on demand, they do support on demand rentals from Amazon (in HD) and Netflix. In addition there is free video from YouTube and others. I love my TiVo!

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

So what you have doesn't work and you can't buy anything else. I'm at a complete loss as to what anyone can do to help, at this point

Ultimately, you need an external (working) recording device of some kind, that's your only option.
+1

OP - you did not say why the DVR is being replaced. Just hold onto it longer if possible so they can watch the recordings. Then you can get rid of it.

In the meantime have them save up for a DVD-recorder. Prices are dropping, and you can check ebay or craig's list for even better deals.

Amazon list one for $89 (but not combo with VCR)
Toshiba DVD Recorder

Walmart has a combo for $157, don't forget to check Newegg also.

So if they squirrel away $5 a week, you can get one in about 4 1/2 months. Or just over 2 months at $10 a week.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

1 edit

Rattler

Not to hijack or anything but... Is there a DVD recorder available that has component input so that you can record HD programming using the component output from the DVR to get higher quality recordings. This would be similar to the Hauppauge HD PVR.

I currently use an ATI AIW vid card and capture via the S-Video output. Does a decent job, but there is always better.
KenAF
join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

2 edits

KenAF

said by Rattler:

Not to hijack or anything but... Is there a DVD recorder available that has component input so that you can record HD programming using the component output from the DVR to get higher quality recordings. This would be similar to the Hauppauge HD PVR.
No, there is not.

There are no DVD recorders that will take HD component input and downconvert it to SD.

Note the DVD video format does not even support HD storage or playback. The AVC format allows HD storage and playback on DVD media (for playback on Blu-ray players, not DVD players), but there are no standalone AVC recorders.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

Thanks for the quick reply, Ken...

I was hoping that there might be some out there that do an internal conversion to MPEG2 and would record to a regular DVD.

The Hauppauge HD-PVR includes utility software to do that, AFTER you capture in AVCHD format. Makes it a little more utilitarian if not somewhat more complicated to get to the DVD format.

OK, no more O/T blather from me...

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Rattler

Premium Member

to Rattler
said by Rattler:

I currently use an ATI AIW vid card and capture via the S-Video output. Does a decent job, but there is always better.
there were DVD recorders with component inputs that will take an SD resolution. I have a couple of Phillips recorders I got six year ago that have component inputs, but of course since it's DVD, it's not going to be HD.

Maybe one day the US will have BD recorders for HD, not that I would ever use one. It's much easier and faster to put the HD content on a hard drive.

Vamp9190
Premium Member
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190

Premium Member

Yeah, for some reason they stopped making them. If you look on Ebay there may be some still floating around.

Take a look at this thread
»www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ ··· t=775235

and here is the quick list.

1) Polaroid 2001G (80gb HDD)
2) Magnavox MRV700 combo DVD + VHS recorder.
3a) Philips DVDR 70/72/75/80, VR615, DVDR3400
3b) Philips HDRW 720 (80gb HDD (HardDiskDrive))
4) Sony RDR-HX900 (160gb HDD)
5) Magnavox MRV660, MRV640

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

1 edit

NOYB to SoCal Man

Premium Member

to SoCal Man
There are some Firewire drivers out there that will allow recording from the DVR to PC. I have experimented with this a little bit a couple months ago using Verizon provided Motorola QIP 7216 HD DVR. Was able to record, but could only play back with InterVideo WinDVD. Though there is supposedly a way to convert it to formats other players recognize also. Did not try playing back with Verizon Media Manager though, did not have VMM at the time.

Search the »www.avsforum.com forums.
Firewire
InterVideo WinDVD
DVR QIP 7216
VZFiOSYo
join:2007-02-24
Lakewood, CA

VZFiOSYo to SoCal Man

to SoCal Man
On my Mac I'm able to connect to my 7216 and record non flagged content at 1080i using FireRecord. I had to download the FirewireSDK 22 for the program to see the box. FireRecord lets you schedule, set the time as well as length and change the channel. It saves the files as .m2t which either VLC or MPlayer will play. I use MPEGstreamclip to convert to Quicktime, resize de-interlace, and its pretty useful. I also have a Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture card for the Flagged programming just in case.

Squirrelly
join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

so if I have something recorded on my DVR I can use this and save it to my iMac if it is not flagged? How do I know if it is flagged?
KenAF
join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

2 edits

KenAF

said by Squirrelly:

so if I have something recorded on my DVR I can use this and save it to my iMac if it is not flagged? How do I know if it is flagged?
If it was recorded from a local or music channel, then it's [probably] not flagged. If it was recorded from a cable channel, it is always flagged.
VZFiOSYo
join:2007-02-24
Lakewood, CA

VZFiOSYo to SoCal Man

to SoCal Man
There are two ways to check.
The easy way is in FireRecord,when you start to record the channel, at the bottom, it will say Copy Once or Copy Freely.
If it says Copy Once then it will not record any data. Copy Freely it will.

The second option is to tune the STB to the channel that you want to record.

Power off the STB
press select twice and you will enter the diagnostics screen
in the Inband Status page you will see the channel that you are tuned to in there should be if I remember correctly something that says 5c which is encrypted and 0 if it is not.

hope that helps.

Vamp9190
Premium Member
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190

Premium Member

Well FiOS encrypts everything, except for Locals and the Music Channels.

So for those of us running Clear QAM TV tuners, we get the National (NBC, FOX, etc.) channels, PBS channels and the Music ones (and a few locals, like Telemundo, etc.). You can get the HD versions too.