how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

papawjim

join:2007-01-05
West Terre Haute, IN

Starconnect modem

Hi all, looking for some information on the F-11 modem which starconnect offers as an alternative to the PCI card, my card is acting up and was thinking about trying the stand alone modem.

If anyone has any information on these modems, it would be appreciated.

Been using starconnect for over 2 years with no problems, as an alternative to dial up it is the best way to go.

tgermon

join:2007-12-31
Vanceboro, NC
Hello, There is info here, »www.satnow.net/Support%20Documents.asp, on the F-11 modem.

RPeters

join:2007-04-02
Charlotte, NC
reply to papawjim
Skyfx also has F11 modems. They replaced one for me last June. www.skyfx.us.
They are on the same satellite as Starconnect.

papawjim

West Terre Haute, IN
Thanks for the info, was wondering if there is a speed loss using the F-11 versus the PCI card. I have heard that the F-11 speed is preset ,where the PCI card is not restricted.

How has the F-11 been for your use and any troubles with it? Thanks.

RPeters

Charlotte, NC
No problems with the F11. I upgraded to the 20 and added a cisco router to run 2 PCs, but I found out later that you can put a router on the F11 also. The speed is around 470-520kbps. I don't think it gets any better. There's no buffering and the gaming is best with the low latency factor.

I never used a PCI card. What speeds are you getting with the card?

foothilldave

join:2007-04-08
Applegate, CA
reply to papawjim
I've been using the F11 with starconnect for a couple years. I originally got mine via skyfx and did my own dish setup with them (they were great to me as has starconnect been). The F11 died once after only a few months use - I think after a thunderstorm - so I added ground isolation to antenna line and surge protector to modem and it has run for years since. Modem has 10M LAN connection I hooked to a Wireless Access Point for 2 or more PC's (one off a direct LAN connect via hub). I have gotten download rates of 150K to 1200K (beats me how as I pay for 512K max - but not complaining). Modem upload is usually only 26K to 28K as I am far from phone switch station. Occasionally I lose sat signal - like today - and it reverts to modem-only rates. I assume that is a starconnect issue.

papawjim

West Terre Haute, IN
Thanks for the info dave, last time I checked the speed using the PCI card it varied between 500-1500. At times it has been eve greater, I figure around a 10-15 per cent error int he readings so it puts it more like 425-1275 give or take.

Service has always been great with no down time except for today. According to their message at tech support they are having an uplink issue to the satellite. Hope they get it fixed soon, had to break out my verizon air card to get this out.

It's speed doesn't seem to be much better than satnow.

RPeters

Charlotte, NC
Is that a 727 aircard that you have? Did you get the 10 foot extension? We are just off the signal loop on the backside of the hill and we only get one bar for strength. Is there another type of reception antenna out there so we can go maybe another 40 feet to the edge of the high for more bars?