All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mike31mets1
join:2004-10-30
Bronx, NY

mike31mets1

Is it possible to turn on/off printer over network?

Not sure what forum to put this in.

Basically I'd like to know if it is possible to turn off a network HP printer over ethernet? The reason I ask is because whenever want to print something I turn the printer on, print, then turn the printer off. However the printer is not near my computer so to do all that requires me to walk over and such. Wanted to know if it's possible to improve on that by being able to wake up the printer somehow and then to turn it off when I'm done.

The printer in question is an HP Photosmart C6180. I'm using it on Vista SP2. I tried downloading the manual but couldn't find anything regarding this particular question I have.

Out of curiosity, if that feature isn't available for this printer that I have, are there any printers that have such a feature to turn on/off over a network?
efflandt
join:2002-01-25
Elgin, IL

efflandt

If a printer has a power save setting, it is usually set to go into that automatically after a certain amount of idle time. That idle time may be adjustable. It wakes up when something wants to print.

A laser printer usually has an adjustable power save setting because the fuser is a heater that uses energy to fuse the toner.

An inkjet printer does not hardly use any power at all when idle, so it might not have that setting, although, it probably parks its head after a period of time so the cartridges do not dry out. Our HP OfficeJet G85 does go into a power save mode, but not sure why, unless that just allows adjustment of the time until it parks its head.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to mike31mets1

MVM

to mike31mets1
Most of the HP printers have an automatic power saving feature the printer enters after it is idle.

You want to check printer specs. We have a HP 7100 photo printer. During printing it draws about 75 watts, at idle 15. That is a significant amount of power 24/7 for a printer we do not use very often. So that one we manually turn on and off. Our main printer is a HP K550 that we leave on all the time. It draws 180 watts printing but only 9 idle.

There are network controlled power switches but they also consume power.

If you want to try to kluge a simple remote control mechanism you could use one of the unused Ethernet pair (assuming 10/100) and rig up a remote control relay.

/tom
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to mike31mets1

Premium Member

to mike31mets1
Your option could be something like "Power Switch over IP", discussed in this thread.
52137761 (banned)
join:2009-08-17

52137761 (banned) to mike31mets1

to mike31mets1
By uncheck printer sharing option in your computer,you can easily turn off and on your printer in the network.