uniqs
share rss forum feed

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
join:2004-02-05
Clinton, NC
kudos:2

Upload Speed

I host my own server and domain, with several websites running. I need more bandwidth speed for upload. What or how do I contact embarq or centurytel and get past the front line sales people to someone that can give me good information?

DSL Anywhere

@embarqhsd.net
The upload speeds are determined by what your download speed is such as the 10M down and 896k up. The provisioning profiles are preset in the DSLAMs, so it's not a matter of getting by the front line sales people.

Not knowing what you're provisioned at, about the only way you can get more up speed is to get a package that has a higher up speed than yours.

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
Clinton, NC
reply to mdaddyrabbit
I knew that, but you still have to call to get any information and the first tier of individuals you speak with are sales people who normally don't understand or don't know. I want to know if there is anything available besides the 10/896 I have presently. I am converting one of my websites to commercial for profit and I need to accommodate the traffic.

dsl Anywhere

@embarqhsd.net
Since you have 10m service that is the highest offering that Embarq offers currently. Yes there are rumors on higher speeds but you can't pass traffic on rumors.

As to anything higher you'll have to look at T1's and higher, or even metro ethernet (uploading at 100 meg is a blast!) BUT these are commercial items and the cost is way way way more that a DSL line. $$$$$ (you're probably looking at 15 - 20 times more than your dsl at the bottom end !!!)

Instead of calling residential and talking about DSL call the business side and ask about a circuit

have them drop an OC-192 into your house and you'll never want for bandwidth

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
reply to mdaddyrabbit
Sounds like you need to move over to a web hosting provider. I would never run a business that is dependent on bandwidth on a consumer grade DSL line.

Go Tarheels
Premium
join:2006-01-05
Nashville, NC
kudos:1
reply to mdaddyrabbit
Currently there is nothing faster available as an ADSL product with a higher upload. Embarq would be able to offer you a circuit if requested.

You could order 2 dsl lines and use a dual wan router to load balance traffic.

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
Clinton, NC
reply to Hazy Arc
Thats the reason I want to find out who I need to contact

DSL Anywhere

@embarqhsd.net
The contact information is on their website: 866.906.DATA

rabeatz7
Premium
join:2009-03-21
Apopka, FL

2 edits
reply to mdaddyrabbit
If you're intent on hosting a site for commercial purposes and it's on a residential DSL line, it would be in violations of the terms and conditions of your service agreement.

»about.embarq.com/legal/agreement···0708.pdf

2.5.B Use of Services. You agree; (B) not to use the Services for business purposes, but only for residential use;

Whether or not you would get in trouble for it, I have no idea, but I thought I should bring it to your attention. If you are hosting for commercial purposes you are better off contacting the business department for info on services they can offer you.

You can call the number that was provided by DSL Anywhere or you can fill out this form here: »www.embarq.com/Business/forms/co···ral.html

Go Tarheels
Premium
Nashville, NC
That being said, Embarq will not seek you out if that is the case. As long as you are running clean and not spamming or hosting questionable sights or files, then you would be fine and no one would come after you. The AUP dept is pretty lax on what you do. We have worked with many folks who are hosting servers, etc... and give them multiple opportunities to "disinfect" their servers if they have been infected with nasty viruses, etc...

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
Clinton, NC
reply to mdaddyrabbit
I keep my systems clean, I have had some issues with my servers in the past with malicious people but for the most part I have stayed fairly clean. If I go commercial I would go through the right channels. I am not looking for any problems.

Go Tarheels
Premium
Nashville, NC
You would be cheaper to go with a VPS solution with a server sitting in a data center.

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
Clinton, NC
Agreed but, I like the fact I am in arms reach (physically) with my equipment. I could put my server at another ISP here in my town but I like I said I want to have access to my equipment so if I decide to put a hard drive in at midnight.