spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

collinp6

@windstream.net

Windstream SMTP Server Blacklist

I was testing my newly setup SMTP server on my local network sending to a remote host, then I started getting blacklisted messages from two of my hosts. Come to find out, I am now on the PBL blacklist due to Windstream not allowing outbound email except through their servers. Can anyone enlighten me as to why and/or assist me in getting the blacklist removed?

Thanks.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Xcelerate Broadb..
·Windstream
Are you on a Dynamic IP or Static?

Windstream policy is that "Servers" shouldn't be used on a residential dynamic IP account, you have to pay for a business connection with a static IP and have the reverse DNS setup.

Also your reverse DNS cant be set on a dynamic connection thus most servers would reject the mail even if it wasn't on a blacklist.

There is no way to remove the blacklist, you have to get a business connection with a static IP.
--
AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE @ 3.5Ghz(OC) | 4Gb Memory @ 1600mhz | Sapphire ATI HD4870 1GB 800mhz/1000mhz(OC) | 2x500GB HDD's Raid 0 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7100

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
Instead of changing to Business Class service, can't they just "smart host" through the Windstream SMTP servers?

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Xcelerate Broadb..
·Windstream
said by collinp6 :

Come to find out, I am now on the PBL blacklist due to Windstream not allowing outbound email except through their servers.
From reading that part I was thinking he was aware of that option but on a second reading I see that maybe he didn't, but yes a mail server with "Smart Host" would work.
--
AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE @ 3.5Ghz(OC) | 4Gb Memory @ 1600mhz | Sapphire ATI HD4870 1GB 800mhz/1000mhz(OC) | 2x500GB HDD's Raid 0 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7100

collinp6

@windstream.net
said by Napsterbater:

From reading that part I was thinking he was aware of that option but on a second reading I see that maybe he didn't, but yes a mail server with "Smart Host" would work.
Yes, I was aware of the server's ability to forward to other upstream SMTP servers, I was primarily wondering why I ended up on the blacklist. Thanks, though .

lacibaci

join:2000-04-10
Export, PA
reply to Napsterbater
said by Napsterbater:

Are you on a Dynamic IP or Static?

Windstream policy is that "Servers" shouldn't be used on a residential dynamic IP account, you have to pay for a business connection with a static IP and have the reverse DNS setup.

Also your reverse DNS cant be set on a dynamic connection thus most servers would reject the mail even if it wasn't on a blacklist.

There is no way to remove the blacklist, you have to get a business connection with a static IP.
I don't remember seeing "no servers" clause. When I signed up I asked about it and CSR said I can run whatever...

Lac

Windstream
Premium,VIP
join:2009-03-31
Twinsburg, OH
kudos:38
lacibaci - Windstream does not prevent you from running a mail server on your DSL connection. However, Windstream does not have any control on whether other mail server hosts will blacklist your connection IP based on certain stipulations.

Nowadays, mail servers have their own string of 'security checks' to verify the validity of a mail server. Usually mail servers do have their own dedicated static IP with a rDNS setup (at the very least) to ensure connectivity with other mail servers.
--
We're here to help! wci.broadbandhelp@windstream.com

SirMeowmix_I

@windstream.net
reply to collinp6
You will be listed with SORBS or MAPS in their DUHL (Dynamic Hosts Lists) because you are truly on a dynamic IP range. Many MTAs are configured to reject mail, via the utilization of the RBLs, from dynamic hosts. You must indicate static assignment by setting a DNS PTR record or having Windstream contact MAPS/SORBS for you.

This is all moot unless you're on a static IP connection. You can always use Windstream as a relay_host to relay outbound mail through their MTA.

Windstream does not block ingress/egress TCP 25. You can still function as a receiving mailserver just fine.

I have static IP DSL, DNS PTR set to the MX, and am not on any of the RBLs. I relay direct to the MX and do not use a relay_host.

lacibaci

join:2000-04-10
Export, PA
reply to Windstream
said by Windstream:

lacibaci - Windstream does not prevent you from running a mail server on your DSL connection. However, Windstream does not have any control on whether other mail server hosts will blacklist your connection IP based on certain stipulations.
Yes. That's how I understood it. I also understand that WS wouldn't like high bandwidth servers. I just like to run mail and web servers for educational reasons.

Lac

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to collinp6
If you sent mail to my server, it would not only reject you from a dynamic IP but have it set to report such to the blacklists. Sorry, that is the vehicle of spammers. The only way to run one from the house is on a static IP. And WS will set the reverse to a custom setting, showing it's you. Something most won't bother with.