spc
Search similar:

uniqs
getlowdogg
join:2008-02-12
15131-2227

getlowdogg

Best 2-Way Splitter

Hello everyone! What is the best, or at least one of the best, 2-way splitters with the highest frequency? Thank you so much!

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

3 edits

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

Here is one for pretty cheap: »www.summitsource.com/eag ··· 225.html It's a 4-way, but you can still use it as just a 2-way.

However, FWIW, the max frequency of the splitter I use is 1GHz and I have NO problems and get GREAT connection speed.

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to getlowdogg

Premium Member

to getlowdogg
For cable you don't need anything over 1000MHz. You want a splitter that is 5-1000MHz. Cheapest place to find one is generally eBay.

Like this one: »cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ANTRONI ··· 6.c0.m14

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to getlowdogg

Premium Member

to getlowdogg
Cheapest and best is to visit the CC office or flag down a tech (comcast employee, not a contractor) and politely ask for one.
Probably free (for legit purposes) to a paying customer.
5-1000mHZ is the right part, more is not better for cable, high freq's are for satellite
K Patterson
Premium Member
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH

K Patterson to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
NO - that's a satellite splitter.

NathanO
join:2008-08-21
Seattle, WA

NathanO

Comcast seems to be a fan of these: »www.extreme-broadband.co ··· 102h.asp

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000 to K Patterson

Premium Member

to K Patterson
said by K Patterson:

NO - that's a satellite splitter.
It says satellite, but it would probably work for cable as well.
K Patterson
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

K Patterson

Premium Member

Re-read the specs, please. It will not work for cable.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

said by K Patterson:

"for satellite and OTHER HIGH frequency use."

"Digital cable channels typically are allocated ABOVE 552 MHz" Source: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Di ··· al_cable

Also, the frequency of my cable modem downstream is 729 MHz.

So, even though the frequencies of cable TV and internet are below 1 GHz, they are still pretty high and I am willing to bet that the splitter would work for it just fine. I'm sure that it means UP TO 2 GHz max so as long as the signal is below 2 GHz, it would work.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

1 edit

beachintech

Premium Member

said by fonzbear2000:
said by K Patterson:

"Digital cable channels typically are allocated ABOVE 552 MHz" Source: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Di ··· al_cable

So, even though the frequencies of cable TV and internet are below 1 GHz, they are still pretty high and I am willing to bet that the splitter would work for it just fine. I'm sure that it means UP TO 2 GHz max so as long as the signal is below 2 GHz, it would work.
fonz - that splitter is rated for 900-2050 MHz. That would completely cut out everything on cable.

Please be more careful when suggesting products to someone.
firehawk6189
join:2003-05-29

firehawk6189 to getlowdogg

to getlowdogg
Freq's higher than 1000mhz DO pass through the 5-1000mhz splitters.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000 to beachintech

Premium Member

to beachintech
said by beachintech:
said by fonzbear2000:
said by K Patterson:

fonz - that splitter is rated for 900-2050 MHz. That would completely cut out everything on cable.

Please be more careful when suggesting products to someone.
Oh, now I feel dumb. :embarrassed: I fixed the post with the link I gave.

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech

Premium Member

So now you want this person to use a 4 way splitter with more attenuation and designed to pass satellite signals/power + possibly allow more noise into the system?

I think it would be better for the OP to use the Antronix splitter as posted by nerdburg or get one from the local comcast office. Antronix, Extreme Broadband, Commscope, etc. all make nice products for a CABLE system.

NathanO
join:2008-08-21
Seattle, WA
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

NathanO to getlowdogg

to getlowdogg
BTW, high frequency will not help... why do you need a high frequency splitter? Splitters do not work like CPU clock speeds... 2.5ghz splitter is not better than a 2 way 1ghz splitter.

Fonz- a 4 way splitter shouldnt be used as a 2 way splitter.

OP- i would do what beachintech said

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000 to getlowdogg

Premium Member

to getlowdogg
What the 2 people above me suggest.
getlowdogg
15131-2227

getlowdogg

I didn't realize what the frequency actually was until now. I met to say a 2-way splitter with the least dB loss, not the highest frequency. I currently have an Antronix 2-way splitter with a dB loss of 3.5 (-3.5 dB). Is there a 2-way splitter with a lower dB loss than that? Thanks again!

beachintech
Premium Member

1 edit

beachintech

Premium Member

said by getlowdogg:

I didn't realize what the frequency actually was until now. I met to say a 2-way splitter with the least dB loss, not the highest frequency. I currently have an Antronix 2-way splitter with a dB loss of 3.5 (-3.5 dB). Is there a 2-way splitter with a lower dB loss than that? Thanks again!
No - you have the splitter you need.

(There are such things as taps, but we don't need to get into that and it's most likely beyond the scope of the discussion)

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to getlowdogg

Premium Member

to getlowdogg
said by getlowdogg:

Is there a 2-way splitter with a lower dB loss than that? Thanks again!
No, because anytime you cut a signal in half...it loses 3.5 dB.
getlowdogg
15131-2227

getlowdogg

So are you saying that there is not a SINGLE splitter that has a lower dB loss than 3.5?
sarcasm2k1
join:2009-03-26
Salt Lake City, UT

sarcasm2k1 to getlowdogg

to getlowdogg
Not unless they are full of sh*t.

3bd loss is an expression that means 1/2 of it's former strength and the extra .5 is a result of the practical realities of electronics.

One important thing to look for is the isolation it should say something like -120dBmi.
sarcasm2k1

sarcasm2k1 to getlowdogg

to getlowdogg
There are specialized splitters that have good legs and bad legs and the good leg can have less than 3.5 loss. But I wouldn't try to use one of those unless you've tried a regular 2 way and still had an out of spec signal.
K Patterson
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

2 recommendations

K Patterson to getlowdogg

Premium Member

to getlowdogg
Only if Albert Einstein is wrong and all the perpetual motion machine builders are right.
getlowdogg
15131-2227

1 edit

getlowdogg

The main coaxial cable that comes to my house is connected to the input of an Antronix 2-way splitter. The one output is connected to my cable modem and the other output is connected to an Antronix 8-way splitter. Its outputs are connected to televisions throughout my house, one of which has an HD DVR. One problem I am having is that the HD DVR does not display the time on the LED screen. The other problem is when I try watching a high-definition channel, the picture is all chopped up. To make sure that it is not the fault of the HD DVR, I eliminated the 8-way splitter and it worked like a charm. What should I do? Thank you!

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech to getlowdogg

Premium Member

to getlowdogg
Either put an amp between the output leg of the two way and the eight way or have a tech come out, make sure all the signal numbers are where they should be, and install an amp if necessary. I would suggest a trouble call.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 edit

EG to firehawk6189

Premium Member

to firehawk6189
said by firehawk6189:

Freq's higher than 1000mhz DO pass through the 5-1000mhz splitters.
Yes, a bit, but they are rolled off rapidly and typically attenuated severly...
getlowdogg
15131-2227

getlowdogg to beachintech

to beachintech
Should I just get a 1-way amplifier to go between the 2-way and 8-way splitters or should I just replace the 8-way splitter with an 8-way amplifier?

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech

Premium Member

said by getlowdogg:

Should I just get a 1-way amplifier to go between the 2-way and 8-way splitters or should I just replace the 8-way splitter with an 8-way amplifier?
You should have a tech come out to your home and measure signal to make that call. You can also get a free amp if it's needed.

egnlsn
Premium Member
join:2003-09-26
Salt Lake City, UT

egnlsn to getlowdogg

Premium Member

to getlowdogg
said by getlowdogg:

Replace the 8-way splitter with an 8-output drop amp, such as a PCT MA2-8PN »www.cencom94.com/gpage4.html.
getlowdogg
15131-2227

getlowdogg

Now one person is telling me to use a 1-way amplifier between the 2-way splitter and the 8-way splitter and another person is telling me to just replace the 8-way splitter with an 8-way amplifier. What should I do?
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

My money and time would be on the advise that beachintech just gave you, which was to have a tech come out and evaluate the situation. The added bonus of that route as he also pointed out is the tech will install an amp at no charge if necessary.