spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DonLibes

join:2003-01-19

DonLibes

how to pour gas without spilling?

Click for full size
I feel like an idiot. I bought a gas "can" from Home Depot and it says it has a spill-proof spout but there are no instructions and everytime I use it, I spill gas all over my lawnmower. The spout has a tiny hole as well as a big hole but I don't know what to do with them.

I've tried:

- putting my finger over the little hole to stop the flow. Doesn't help - gas still comes out of the big hole.
- putting the end of the nozzle below the level of the gas in the fuel tank. Gas still comes out. (I guess the seal around the cap isn't very good?)
- pouring slowly. This works but is difficult and, well, slow.

I also googled for "how to pour gas without spilling" and various other things and get lots of diatribes not to spill gas and how it's bad for the environment but no actual explanation how to accomplish it.

One side note: About 6 years ago, the county in which I live gave all residents free gas containers which had a neat device that would only release the fuel if you were physically resting the can upside down on the fuel opening, and it would automatically stop the flow once the fuel reached the right level. But after just a few years, the clever mechanism broke and starting leaking fuel. County now says "We don't distribute them anymore - you're on your own." And Home Depot doesn't offer anything but that thing in the picture above.

Advice on how to pour or a new spout or can to buy?
threetrolls
join:2003-04-19
Bellevue, WA

threetrolls

It looks like the spout has an accordion type of middle. Can you stretch it out to get the end into the tank before you tip the gas can to start pouring? If that works, you can control the rate of flow by raising or lowering the gas can. I think the little spout is to let air back into the gas can so it pours smoothly and you don't get the glug glug glug type of behavior increasing spillage.
DonLibes

join:2003-01-19

DonLibes

The spout is flexible enough to bend but not to stretch.
older dog
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09

1 edit

older dog to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes
Assuming it is similar to the one I have. The little tube is the air vent, you want it on top.

Edit To add those new containers seem to work best when less than 3/4 full.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

7 recommendations

nunya to DonLibes

MVM

to DonLibes
Click for full size
Here's a new-fangled implement that might help:

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes
Depending on how much you fuel small equipment, they make hand pumped gas dispensers, complete with nozzle. Put nozzle in tank, turn crank. Out comes gas.

They are a bit pricey... if you're looking for a low-tech solution, go with Nunya's idea...

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

1 recommendation

Jon5 to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes
oldeguy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-04
Phoenixville, PA

oldeguy to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes
"Vent" your gasoline container first, then use a funnel as previously shown. It'll still spill, but not with a big "splash".
Louey
join:2002-12-09
Canada

Louey to DonLibes

to DonLibes
Or pick up a Flo & Go.

»www.flo-n-go.com/home/

Check the store locator for where you can buy it.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes
It's all skill.

Actually the trick is NOT to insert the nozzle of the gas can into the tank, so that you can still see inside the tank. Once you see the gas level get closer to the top of the tank, slow down.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to DonLibes

MVM

to DonLibes
that is one of the new EPA mandated designs. it is supposed to cut down on wasteful spills, but seems to cause them more than not. go to a hardware store and get an old style nozzle if you don't want to use a funnel.

i believe that the small hole should be on top to allow air to vent in. with it on the bottom gas will come out it first and spill. yes, i know it will then be curved funny, but try it.

Jim Gurd
Premium Member
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

Jim Gurd to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes
I have that exact same can. The small hole faces up, not down.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to DonLibes

MVM

to DonLibes
said by DonLibes:

a neat device that would only release the fuel if you were physically resting the can upside down on the fuel opening, and it would automatically stop the flow once the fuel reached the right level.
The containers you're describing are available at Ace Hardware stores. I have one for my two-cycle mix for my trimmer, leaf blower, and sno-blower. They're a little slow but work very well. Actually has a little "hook" that engages the rim of the fill neck to allow fuel to pour.

Lacking that... I second the use of a funnel. I use one all the time to fill my lawn mower.

gascan234
@89.wightman.ca

gascan234 to DonLibes

Anon

to DonLibes
I have the exact same can! it's the WORST spout system ever!

The clicking safety lock didn't work well, so i took that off. And like you i cannot FILL it without making a mess (Even when almost empty).

The old style with the vent on the back, spout on the front was much better, and never had issues then.

Glad i'm not the only one, but from the first time i used it, it is awful.

i1me2ao
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS

i1me2ao to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes
i took drill and removed parts from inside. then took hacksaw and removed rest. then i drilled hole opposite end of can to allow vent. now i spill a lot less. basically i went back to the ORIGINAL DAM DESIGN..

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake to DonLibes

MVM

to DonLibes
I've got one from Walmart (5 gallon) that has an engage/disengage system to it. There is a lip to the spout, maybe 2 or 3 inches from the end of the nozzle. You put the lip on the edge of the gas tank with the nozzle inside(obviously). Put some downward pressure on the nozzle and the lip slides backward releasing fuel.

It's a nice design but only if you have sturdy gas tanks. Personally, I like the old style with the vent at the back side and you control the flow yourself. I grew up putting gas into home equipment so having an idiot proof device is a bit of an insult to me
JesusInside
join:2009-08-24
Albany, NY

JesusInside to Jon5

to Jon5
That is pretty cool
srr2
join:2001-12-20
Pipersville, PA

srr2 to Jon5

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

[presented a picture of a pump-up gas container]

A question for you Jon -- does that pump pressurize that plastic container? Reason I ask is that my father had something very similar to that years ago. One day, he pumped it up and the container split at the seam, spraying gas under pressure everywhere. Fortunately for him, he was outside, away from anything hot, and he (for a change) wasn't smoking.

The seams were only ultrasonically welded in soft polyethylene and were completely unsuited for bearing any kind of pressure. If this is one like that, and it appears that it is, I highly recommend that you drain the contents into an approved container. Then let this disaster-waiting-to-happen dry off and place it where it belongs, in the next trash collection.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes
They don't sell "normal" ones anymore? I've never spilled any with my plain old gas can, no "anti-spill" baloney about it. Just a simple, angled spout.
dipweed23
join:2009-07-21
Ypsilanti, MI

dipweed23 to srr2

to srr2
I agree, the cheap plastic containers are not ones you want to be putting any pressure in. They hold gas well, but are not designed to do anything but that...

The newer "gas pump" style gas cans have a syphon pump at the handle like this.
»www.mgexperience.net/art ··· n-go.jpg
Some don't have the pump exposed and are of better quality.
My Dad has one that he connects to his 10 gal gas can for filling his yard equipment. It works well.

I guess the newer ones like pictured above do not put pressure in the tank and are just a syphon pump. You can see in this picture that the vent is open on this can.
»www.sportys.com/shoptool ··· 069m.jpg
JesusInside
Albany, NY

1 edit

JesusInside to srr2

to srr2
said by srr2:

said by Jon5:

[presented a picture of a pump-up gas container]

A question for you Jon -- does that pump pressurize that plastic container? Reason I ask is that my father had something very similar to that years ago. One day, he pumped it up and the container split at the seam, spraying gas under pressure everywhere. Fortunately for him, he was outside, away from anything hot, and he (for a change) wasn't smoking.

The seams were only ultrasonically welded in soft polyethylene and were completely unsuited for bearing any kind of pressure. If this is one like that, and it appears that it is, I highly recommend that you drain the contents into an approved container. Then let this disaster-waiting-to-happen dry off and place it where it belongs, in the next trash collection.
As you may not know it takes an ideal fuel to air mixture for gas to ignite.
So him smoking would probably not have caused ignition

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 edit

mattmag

said by JesusInside:

Actually, that isn't correct. While it does require an "ideal" air/fuel mixture to provide proper *combustion* under compression in an engine, gasoline vapors are very easily ignitable in open-air, and a cigarette works just fine for that part.

It is never a good idea to have any type of flame or burning items close to a person who is handling gasoline, or anyplace where vapors may collect. There are plenty of instances where that combination has had devastating effects...

EDIT--Oh, and welcome to the forum!!
JesusInside
Albany, NY

JesusInside

said by mattmag:

said by JesusInside:

Actually, that isn't correct. While it does require an "ideal" air/fuel mixture to provide proper *combustion* under compression in an engine, gasoline vapors are very easily ignitable in open-air, and a cigarette works just fine for that part.

It is never a good idea to have any type of flame or burning items close to a person who is handling gasoline, or anyplace where vapors may collect. There are plenty of instances where that combination has had devastating effects...

On mythbusters they proved otherwise. If I can find the episode I'll post it. Thanks

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

No need to post anything, thanks just the same.

I stand by my post, as it simply doesn't make sense to tempt fate, no matter what a TV entertainment show says... I spent 25+ years as an EMT/Paramedic, and I am still a police officer, and can tell you first hand that it has and will continue to happen, even if Adam and Jamie disagree.
dew456
join:2003-08-13
Dallas, TX

dew456 to seaquake

to seaquake
said by seaquake:

I've got one from Walmart (5 gallon) that has an engage/disengage system to it. There is a lip to the spout, maybe 2 or 3 inches from the end of the nozzle. You put the lip on the edge of the gas tank with the nozzle inside(obviously). Put some downward pressure on the nozzle and the lip slides backward releasing fuel.

It's a nice design but only if you have sturdy gas tanks. Personally, I like the old style with the vent at the back side and you control the flow yourself. I grew up putting gas into home equipment so having an idiot proof device is a bit of an insult to me
I've got the same can and it is a piece of junk. You can't see in the gas tank to tell when it is gettign full and it still spills everywhere. Last year my father-in-law got bored while visiting so he decided to mow our yard. He came in and wanted to know where I got that piece of junk gas can. I said sorry, that is all I can find anymore. Now I just take the nozzel off and pour it in the old fashioned way. Spills a lot less gas.
JesusInside
Albany, NY

JesusInside to mattmag

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

No need to post anything, thanks just the same.

I stand by my post, as it simply doesn't make sense to tempt fate, no matter what a TV entertainment show says... I spent 25+ years as an EMT/Paramedic, and I am still a police officer, and can tell you first hand that it has and will continue to happen, even if Adam and Jamie disagree.
No dude I'm not disagreeing with ya. It is stupid to start pouring gas around an open flame. Just as would be golfing during a thunder storm, lol.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds to JesusInside

Premium Member

to JesusInside
said by JesusInside:
said by mattmag:
said by JesusInside:

On mythbusters they proved otherwise. If I can find the episode I'll post it. Thanks
You were not paying close enough attention.

MythBusters Special 7: Hollywood on Trial
»mythbustersresults.com/special7
quote:
It is possible to ignite a pool of gasoline using only a cigarette.

partly plausible

A cigarette has the potential to light a pool of gasoline but just doesn’t have enough sustained heat. Gas ignites between 500 °F and 540 °F, the cigarette at its hottest was between 450 °F and 500 °F but only when it was actually being smoked. An ignition is very improbable.

hurfy
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA

hurfy to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes
lol, another device made to spill gas if i ever try it with my old Opel

With the tank opening on the side of the car these new anti-spill and anti-fume gadgets spill gas everywhere as none are designed to work on a truely vertical opening. The new anti-fume nozzles on gas are even worse. Going to have retire it someday just because i won't be able to put more gas in it than on it soon

Gotta say from the looks of it i would vote for old-school can also. I don't see how you get that small vent/spout on top if you are filling a lawnmower. Seems awkward at best.
JesusInside
Albany, NY

JesusInside to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
Thanks Doc I love your avatar... Where did you come up with it!

wilbilt
Pronto Resurrected
Premium Member
join:2004-01-11
Oroville, CA

1 recommendation

wilbilt to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes
Sorry to hear you are all becoming victims of the "CARB" (California Air Resources Board) gas cans. Actually, they are not classified as "gas cans", but as "Portable Fuel Containers" (PFCs).

We had them here first, as we seem to be the guinea pigs for all things environmental.

The vented spout as pictured is not ideal, but greatly preferable IMHO to the spring-loaded shutoff spouts. The shutoff spouts were designed to reduce the emission of fumes while fueling power equipment. The reality is that they release fuel slowly due to poor venting, cause glug-glug-glug splashes and spills, and tend to stick open.

An old-school vented can does the job quickly and more efficiently, and seems to be more environmentally-friendly due to less time being open and fewer spills. Since I am not an engineer, my practical experience is obviously worth nothing.

As a non-environmentally challenged Californian, please accept my sincerest apologies for you all now having to deal with this sh*t.