i1me2ao
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS

i1me2ao to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes

Re: how to pour gas without spilling?

i will try and find link the new cans are suppose to reduce benzene into atmosphere and new ones are going to be child proof. the epa site posts bills for passing and ask for comments..

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

1 recommendation

neonhomer to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
I was waiting for someone to say "You can toss a lit cigarette into a pool of gas and it won't ignite."

Had a friend of mine tell me that, while he was replacing the fuel pump on his Jeep. Fuel vapors everywhere. I reminded him of this, and I heard the line above. I just stepped back and brought a fire extinguisher back with me. He got the hint and put it out.

Anyway, here we have those normal Blitz cans, but I usually spill some of those too. The joint between the can and spout leak as well. I had drained the tank on my motorcycle to fix the fuel system. Had to put some gas in the tank to get to a gas station to fill it. Put a gallon of gas in a can. I think I spilled a quart all over the tank and bike.
severach
join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI

severach to DonLibes

to DonLibes
Whether the gasoline lights or not depends on the temperature of the liquid. Below the temperature you can point a blow torch at it and the only gas that will light is that which the torch evaporates from the surface.

Above that temperature the flame will sustain itself and will probably increase into something bad.

Near that temperature. You all can try that for me.

The temperature is about 95*F. I didn't know but I was lucky when I tried my experiment that it was only about 85*F out. It was 95*F soon after which would have produced a different result.

Maccawolf
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

1 recommendation

Maccawolf to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
said by sivran:

They don't sell "normal" ones anymore? I've never spilled any with my plain old gas can, no "anti-spill" baloney about it. Just a simple, angled spout.
I was gonna say, I'm a GIRL and even "I" can fill a lawnmower or leaf blower without spilling. Just do it SLOWLY. Don't insert the spout all the way so you can see the level, and only tip a little bit until you get to where you need to stop. Don't tip all the way to fill fast, that's where you run into problems...

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to neonhomer

MVM

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

I was waiting for someone to say "You can toss a lit cigarette into a pool of gas and it won't ignite."
that is TECHNICALLY true. liquid gasloine does not burn. but the fumes do, so in order for it to not light the cig has to be "cool" and hit the liquid without passing thru much of the fumes. if you held a cig above a puddle of gas at room temp and took a drag, it would likely go up in your face.

we used to use gasoline, a roll of paper towels/tp, and a metal coffee can as a heater when fishing durin cool weather. when temps are down in the 40-50'sF, the gas will burn slowly and provide heat for a while. above about 60, it will go up quickly, if it does not outright explode in your face when lighting.

Unit649
I B U, Who U B?
Premium Member
join:2000-01-22
Stockton, CA

Unit649 to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes
I have a few of these cans. With the small 1 gallon one I have for the trimmer, I just totally take the spout off and pour directly, no spills.

The 5 gal cans I have that I transport fuel out to the dock with for my mom-in-law on occasion I have an old spout back from the olden days that I use to pour. The "safe" spouts are on them for transport though.

I have an older can for fueling the lawnmower that holds about a gallon and 3/4 made of metal. It has a short spout and a small pour hole, with a vent. The only time I spill with it is when I'm in a hurry and move the can while pouring.

Incidentally, since they came out with the newest "vapor recovery" nozzles here in CA (not the prior ones, the new ones that supposedly recover even more and cost gas station owners $9000 a pump to re-retrofit) I've noticed more people spill gas when taking it out of the vehicle. I don't know if they are topping off more, or if something is causing the vapor not to flow back to the tank and its gathering or something. I haven't had it happen to me though.

Its odd when you go into Nevada and its the old style with a rubber ring around it to guard from "spit back." They pump faster and never spill, though you do smell a bit of gas when pumping. And the gas smells different than CA gas. Must be the lack of "oxygenate"

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to JesusInside

Premium Member

to JesusInside
said by JesusInside:

Thanks Doc I love your avatar... Where did you come up with it!
Found it 6 or 7 Years ago, don't recall anymore since it has been a while.

djr777
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25
Pacific Grove, CA

1 recommendation

djr777 to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes
Well heck...gasoline and lawnmowers isn't all its cracked up to be anyway...

Exploding lawn mower destroys home

»images.google.com/imgres ··· 26um%3D1

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to JesusInside

Premium Member

to JesusInside
said by JesusInside:

So him smoking would probably not have caused ignition
Gasoline vapor is highly flammable. A lit cigarette is definitely hot enough it could ignite it.
KrK

KrK to JesusInside

Premium Member

to JesusInside
said by JesusInside:

On mythbusters they proved otherwise. If I can find the episode I'll post it. Thanks
Mythbusters also "proved" cellphones can't ignite gasoline vapor---- yet there's plenty of videos that suggest otherwise.

wilbilt
Pronto Resurrected
Premium Member
join:2004-01-11
Oroville, CA

wilbilt to i1me2ao

Premium Member

to i1me2ao
said by i1me2ao:

i will try and find link the new cans are suppose to reduce benzene into atmosphere and new ones are going to be child proof. the epa site posts bills for passing and ask for comments..
Yes, "supposed to"...but in reality, they cause increased emissions as the can glugs and wheezes because there is no vent, and fuel splashes everywhere.

Filling a lawnmower tank that took 15 seconds with a conventional can now takes a minute and a half. I fail to see how that reduces vapor emissions.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
said by KrK:
said by JesusInside:

On mythbusters they proved otherwise. If I can find the episode I'll post it. Thanks
Mythbusters also "proved" cellphones can't ignite gasoline vapor---- yet there's plenty of videos that suggest otherwise.
It's women mostly (around 80%) involved in the pump fires and it's from getting back into the car which gives them a static electric charge then they go back to the pump (and some have picked up their phone to talk instead of focusing on pumping the gas), if they would just stand there and finish the task they wouldn't have the hundreds of fires each Year.

Stop Static - a safety campaign
»web.archive.org/web/2007 ··· ndex.htm

»web.archive.org/web/2007 ··· ndex.htm
Snapped 2009-08-25 06:46:37

Avoid getting burned at the pump — literally
Small mistakes when fueling a car can lead to a dangerous flash fire
»www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23354484
quote:
Most of the warning signs from OPW and trade groups like the Washington, D.C.-based American Petroleum Institute stress not getting in and out of the car while refueling, because it’s been found that most static fires start that way. Fowler says 80 percent of static fires are re-entry/exit fires, and 80 percent involve women. One theory for why more women are involved in static fires is that perhaps women go back into their cars to get a credit card or cell phone from their purse, whereas most men carry their wallets and cell phones on their person.

»www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23354484
Snapped 2009-08-25 07:00:39

Maccawolf
Premium Member
Hillsdale, NJ

Maccawolf

Premium Member

Isn't that why they came out with the pumps that automatically shut off?

I know for ME, I have Carpal Tunnel in BOTH wrists, so I appreciate being able to lock the nozzle on....

wilbilt
Pronto Resurrected
Premium Member
Oroville, CA

wilbilt to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds
I know there are requirements at marinas for the fuel hose and nozzle to be grounded and for the boat filler opening to be metallic and grounded as well.
That way, any static charge is dissipated before the fuel begins to flow.

I wonder if it would be applicable to land-based dispensers as well.

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190

Premium Member

I think so. But there are signs on all the land gas station pumps warning about static electricity. I think the issue is that the pump & everything is grounded, but your body may not be.

People have caught on fire (think spontaneous combustion) simply from having too much static on themselves when attempting to pump gas.

Make sure to touch some metal (side of the pump housing) after you get out of the car & before you pump.

I still have the old school gas can with the hole on the otherside on the can itself. Problem is that gas leaks from the base of the hose where it connects to the screw cap. Not too bad though, but still I like to pour without even a few drops spilling.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to Maccawolf

Premium Member

to Maccawolf
said by Maccawolf:

I know for ME, I have Carpal Tunnel in BOTH wrists, so I appreciate being able to lock the nozzle on....
Yes, You can lock the pump handle to stay on to fill the tank, but you should still hold onto the handle with light pressure to prevent it from coming out of the tank either on auto shut off or when walking away if the hose is in a extended or binding position. I've seen both happen and when it happens with the handle locked on/open then fuel gets sprayed outside on the vehicle and ground until the handle hits the ground or hits the pump and the lock unhooks. That can be worse than the static ignited fire.

Jim Gurd
Premium Member
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

Jim Gurd to Maccawolf

Premium Member

to Maccawolf
said by Maccawolf:

I thought you live in a state with no self serve gasoline allowed.

One trick I used to use if the pump was missing the lock was to wedge the fuel cap in there and it would hold the trigger open. Nowadays they have gas caps tethered to the vehicle. I guess it's a good idea because it prevents you from driving off without it. I did that once or twice in my lifetime.

Maccawolf
Premium Member
Hillsdale, NJ

Maccawolf

Premium Member

I do, but I'm allowed to travel out of the state, aren't I?

Jim Gurd
Premium Member
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

1 recommendation

Jim Gurd

Premium Member

said by Maccawolf:

I do, but I'm allowed to travel out of the state, aren't I?
What does your parole officer say?
Korro
join:2008-03-15
Pittsburgh, PA

Korro to DonLibes

to DonLibes
Here I think is the real issue with the new cans.

I currently have 2 OLD style cans from 1996. Wide bottom rectangular style. They sit nice in the back of the car and will not fall over like the new 5 gallon cans. They work great for filling lawn mowers or cars. Do it all the time.

The other can I have is a 1 gallon (maybe 1.5 gallon) new style can with the nozel that you push on the rim to release the gas. I really like the design and it work flawlessly.

here is the difference. Old style cans fill the lawn mower with solid black gas tank. Other then looking in the hole you have no clue when it is filled unless you spill because you over filled. Then you know for sure. Who is the genious who thought this up?

On the 1 gallon container which I use for mixed oil/fuel I fill my trimmer. Guess what it has a clear gas tank. The new nozel works great because you can see the gas.

so why is it that trimmer have clear tanks and lawn mowers solid color tanks? I am guessing because of the look of the clear would not look right on the lawn mower.

Heck even my Personal watercraft that I had sported a clear gas tank so you could see when it was full.

I think they need to re-think the safety nozels.

just my 4 cents worth.

jmycknshk
...bring your green hat
join:2004-07-02
West Chester, PA

jmycknshk to DonLibes

to DonLibes
get yourself a box of those cheap plastic painting gloves to use when filling the mower. i use them every time i fill it and every time i fill the gas cans at the pump. to me there's no worse smell than fuel on your hands, especially when eating dinner.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by jmycknshk:

to me there's no worse smell than fuel on your hands, especially when eating dinner.
Yes there is. Diesel fuel on your hands.
JesusInside
join:2009-08-24
Albany, NY

JesusInside

said by Doctor Olds:

said by jmycknshk:

to me there's no worse smell than fuel on your hands, especially when eating dinner.
Diesel fuel is considered fuel, lol

Meaning of Fuel: Any matter used to produce heat by burning; that which feeds fire; combustible matter used for fires, as wood, coal, peat, etc.

tmh
@maxonline.com.sg

tmh

Anon

said by JesusInside:

Diesel fuel is considered fuel, lol

Meaning of Fuel: Any matter used to produce heat by burning; that which feeds fire; combustible matter used for fires, as wood, coal, peat, etc.
You're all wussies complaining about the smell of honest hydrocarbons.

Wait till you have to use yak dung as heating fuel.

wilbilt
Pronto Resurrected
Premium Member
Oroville, CA

wilbilt to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:
said by jmycknshk:

90 weight gear oil and/or motorcycle fork oil win the gag contest for me.
Korro
join:2008-03-15
Pittsburgh, PA

Korro to DonLibes

to DonLibes
worst smelling oil i have ever smelt....Seadoo Impellar oil . Now that is horrible smelling shit.