ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
OBX 12 North

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

DCT3412I to Sony R50XBR1 - HDMI connection won't work

Can't get a picture or sound using an HDMI cable. The cable works on a different setup, so that's not the problem. What am I doing wrong?

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg

Premium Member

Try a different HDMI port on your TV and/or try a different HDMI cable.

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
OBX 12 North

2 edits

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

said by nerdburg:

Try a different HDMI port on your TV and/or try a different HDMI cable.
I've already done that - no joy. The TV's 2 HDMI ports work with multiple HDMI cables and multiple components when hooked up.

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg

Premium Member

Then the next step would be to replace the converter.

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
OBX 12 North

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

said by nerdburg:

Then the next step would be to replace the converter.
Yeah, I was afraid you were going to say that. I guess I'll just have to keep going to Comcast to swap it out until I get one with an HDMI port that actually works. What a pain in the ass.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to ZsExperiment

Premium Member

to ZsExperiment
are you sure the hdmi port is active?

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
OBX 12 North

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

said by ajwees41:

are you sure the hdmi port is active?
No, I'm not sure. How can I check? I know the TV's HDMI ports are active - I've checked them with an HD DVD player. I would love to be able to change a setting on the DCT3412 on my end and have the problem solved!
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

turn the box and press menu on the remote quickly. I forgot which setting it was but if you keep arrowing down and left or right the screen should come when you hit right setting cox's dvr's are the same way the HDMI port does not come enabled.

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
OBX 12 North

1 edit

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

said by ajwees41:

turn the box and press menu on the remote quickly. I forgot which setting it was but if you keep arrowing down and left or right the screen should come when you hit right setting cox's dvr's are the same way the HDMI port does not come enabled.
I've done that and there is no setting for an HDMI port. The screen you're talking about lists only settings for a Y Pb Pr (component) connection.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

than the HDMI port is not active

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
OBX 12 North

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

said by ajwees41:

than the HDMI port is not active
I tried talking to a Comcast tech on their online chat, and they're telling me that the DCT3412's HDMI port is inactive and that if I wanted them to activate it I would have to pay for an additional outlet @$8.99 per month. I'm already paying ~$16.00 per month to rent this box. WTF?
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Well that's some BS...

But with the DCT series you'd be better off doing component anyway. HDMI is well known to cause issues.

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
OBX 12 North

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

said by SpHeRe31459:

Well that's some BS...

But with the DCT series you'd be better off doing component anyway. HDMI is well known to cause issues.
What issues? I've had other HD home theater components connected to both of my TV's HDMI ports without issues. Is there a problem with Comcast's equipment?

PLUS, this just gets even better... the Comcast tech I was online chatting with deregistered my HSI modem. I had to reregister it over the phone. UGH!
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

no problem with cox a DCT3416 and HDMI either.
wanger
join:2008-04-20
Reading, PA

wanger to ZsExperiment

to ZsExperiment
Trying to talk to a person Online is a waste of energy. They are people who read from a script and regurgitate what's on their screen. Try unplugging the component cables from the box and see if that works. Best bet would be to either go to your local office and request an HD box w/ HDMI out.

Turn on cable box then hit buttons in this order: cable > power> select. Make sure you do it in quick cessation. Go to Interface/Port Status to see if the HDMI is activated.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to ZsExperiment

Premium Member

to ZsExperiment
The DCT series are infamous for having issues with HDMI.
Google "motorola dvr hdmi" for all sorts of hits.

Also a list of known bugs is collected here in this wiki:
»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ho ··· DVR/Bugs

You lose nothing by going component and digital audio rather than HDMI since nothing on cable is 1080p and there isn't any high resolution audio (DTS-HD or TrueHD like a Blu-ray) either.

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
OBX 12 North

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

said by SpHeRe31459:

The DCT series are infamous for having issues with HDMI.
Google "motorola dvr hdmi" for all sorts of hits.

Also a list of known bugs is collected here in this wiki:
»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ho ··· DVR/Bugs

You lose nothing by going component and digital audio rather than HDMI since nothing on cable is 1080p and there isn't any high resolution audio (DTS-HD or TrueHD like a Blu-ray) either.
Thanks for all that info - it certainly is helpful!
ZsExperiment

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

I looked at the diagnostic screen and sure enough, the HDMI port is disabled. The box has the latest firmware. My problem isn't incompatibility. The HDMI port is intentionally disabled on the DCT3412 that Comcast is renting me.

Like I said, when I was chatting with a tech they told me I would have to pay an additional outlet charge of $8.99 per month if I wanted the HDMI port on the DCT3412 activated.

Is this going on elsewhere? Can anyone comment?
wdsnls
join:2003-06-19
Palm City, FL

wdsnls

Go to the thread on the AVS Forum and see what other people in the Chicago area that use Comcast are experiencing. 'http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45'

The Broadband Comcast forum is giving you answers from people all over the country.

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
OBX 12 North

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

said by wdsnls:

Go to the thread on the AVS Forum and see what other people in the Chicago area that use Comcast are experiencing. 'http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45'

The Broadband Comcast forum is giving you answers from people all over the country.
I'll try that - thanks! I had previously read on the AVS forum that in some areas of California, Comcast disables the HDMI port on their boxes. I just wanted to know if anyone here knows anything about it; if it's just a random local issue or if it's actual Comcast policy.
ZsExperiment

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

Got help on the AVS forum. The DCT Comcast installed had the HDMI port disabled - no one is sure why. I exchanged it for a DCX3400 at the Comcast facility, the DCX's HDMI port works, and all is now good!
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Nice! you just got the newest DVR Comcast has

GKI
Premium Member
join:2007-07-19
Tacoma, WA

GKI

Premium Member

Can't wait to get my hands on one of those DCX3400's. Just spoke to a Comcast rep, & she told me that in W.WA, it'll take a month to supply the stores. I might swing by anyway.