how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

imcabby

@cgocable.net

[Niagara] Buying a Cogeco DVR... what options outside of Cogeco

I'm looking into a DVR and Cogeco is my cable provider

i don't want to buy their hardware at their high prices..

what models can i buy (via auction, kijiji, craigslist etc) that will be supported (non-officially of course) by Cogeco. And I want HDMI (even though not officially supported)

tia

Cab

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Re: [Niagara] Buying a Cogeco DVR... what options outside of Cog

look on kijiji or ebay, the 6412 i have was from the US.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to imcabby

HDMI is not supported? My Cogeco box has HDMI.

exseven
Premium,VIP
join:2003-05-23
L8E0G6

just because its there doesnt mean its supported.

Your DCT also has USB and Firewire but dont expect help from the call center on those

Phorkster
Premium
Windsor, ON

Err, thats pretty lame that its not supported.

exseven
Premium,VIP
L8E0G6

it works, but support is a different story...

supporting the HDMI means that you would possibly have to explain HDCP handshake issues to grandma and why her 3 year old handme down HDTV wont sync with the new box. would you want to do that?

Phorkster
Premium
Windsor, ON

I wouldn't. But as a company that has HDMI boxes and SHOULD be supporting it I would. Man in the last 8 months my opinion of Cogeco has gone from super high to just about Bell level.
I don't know who is running the show over there but get your heads out of your asses.

exseven
Premium,VIP
L8E0G6

2 edits

Ahh, but they arent marketed as boxes with HDMI they just come that way with it enabled. Maybe you are misunderstanding supported vs enabled.

It works but cogeco isnt going to help you with it if your Receiver isn't passing on the video to your TV in a resolution you like, or your TV and the DCT arent getting a proper HDCP handshake and get nothing.

Some older boxes have DVI-D on them, unsupported of course. But you still get the guy who has no clue and thinks just because it fits it should work with his DVI-A projector

Phorkster
Premium
Windsor, ON

Hell why not just go UHF with an adapter, problem solved for everyone! Seriously man what the hell are you guys thinking?

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Bell Fibe
·Cogeco Cable
reply to imcabby

It's not like the support would be decent anyways, just look at their internet support. It's gone from rock solid to piss poor.

Supported or not, I wouldn't be calling Cogeco to diagnose those kind of problems.

Cogeco: "Sir, please turn your TV on and off. Did it fix the problem?"
Me: "Uh, no"
Cogeco: "beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep"
--
I love fish sticks. I love putting fish sticks in my mouth.

Yllzarith
Tech Support minion

join:2002-05-27
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 edit

Just to get back to the topic: you can find 6412 & 6416 DVRs from major retailers (Bestbuy/Futureshop, The Source, Leons, etc.) with no risk. They only sell the latest versions, so you should always get one with HDMI. If you'd like to purchase from private sellers (eBay, Craigslist, Kijiji) you'll want to make sure you get a Phase 3 revision to get the HDMI port. The 6412 has the smaller hard drive (120GB), 6416s give you 160GB of storage. Also, I always recommend you ask the seller for the serial number from the bottom of the STB (starts with M or GI, and will be 12 characters), and call it in to the Cogeco Activations department @ 1-866-344-8211 to check to make sure it's not stolen. As you might expect, people do rip off these receivers, and we won't activate one that's actually our property, even if you paid your seller top-dollar for it. You can also purchase DCTs that originally came from another MSO (like Comcast, Shaw, etc.), but make sure it's a model we offer (if you buy a 3400 DVR we won't be able to activate it for you). Best of luck finding your box!

theninjasqua

join:2007-09-26
Hamilton, ON
reply to imcabby

I'd be careful with buying one from the states. Ive heard that they don't always work with Cogeco as they are configured for different cable providers and aren't always compatible.

You could always buy a Tivo box and rent the cheapest standard receiver from Cogeco. Mind you I think with Tivo you have to pay per month for their service.
--

-theninjasquad