spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zaldy

join:2007-12-07

[Other] Uisng Google Voice without a forwarding number

Can you use and dial out from GV without a forwarding number where you get the call?

I know GV works like:

Dial destination number from GV -> GV call the number and your forwarding number and connect them (your forwarding number will ring)

What if all you have is GV and no mobile phone or landline or another VoIP number? Can you still dial and use GV?

josephf

join:2009-04-26

Even if you have a forwarding number in GV, you can disable it and have all calls go straight to voicemail. And you can dial out.

zaldy

Okay can you tell me where can I do that?

I can't seem to find the settings for disabling call forwarding so I can dial out straight from GV to destination number without answering another phone.

Thanks in advance.

RockyBB
Premium
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO
reply to zaldy

said by zaldy:

Can you still dial and use GV?
what would you speak into and what would you hear with? you need something that will transfer your voice into the telephone networks ... so you need a phone, and to make it ring (which is your half of the outbound call), it has to have a phone number (or a Gizmo 5 account with either an ATA adapter functionality and a phone, or a softphone).

josephf

join:2009-04-26
reply to zaldy

Click on "Setting" (upper right corner), then click on the "Phones" tab, then uncheck all the numbers under "Forwards to:".

zaldy

reply to RockyBB

said by RockyBB:

said by zaldy:

Can you still dial and use GV?
what would you speak into and what would you hear with? you need something that will transfer your voice into the telephone networks ... so you need a phone, and to make it ring (which is your half of the outbound call), it has to have a phone number (or a Gizmo 5 account with either an ATA adapter functionality and a phone, or a softphone).
Thanks for your reply.

I might be missing something here because somebody told me he dialed out from his Google Voice directly to the termination number without invovling another phone or softphone. I was thinking myabe GV can dial directly out and can be use without a forwarding number.

zaldy

reply to josephf

said by josephf:

Click on "Setting" (upper right corner), then click on the "Phones" tab, then uncheck all the numbers under "Forwards to:".
Yes but I still need a forwarding phone to dial out. I mean GV will still ask for a "phone to ring" when dialing out. I thin RockyBB answered my question. Thanks too for helping out.

RonR

join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR
kudos:5
reply to josephf

said by josephf:

Even if you have a forwarding number in GV, you can disable it and have all calls go straight to voicemail. And you can dial out.
Voicemail that calls people. What will they think of next?

watice

join:2008-11-01
New York, NY
reply to zaldy

If you want to call using your computer (a mic + speakers/headphones) try gizmo5

marcucci

join:2009-08-27
Tyngsboro, MA
reply to zaldy

One other option, not sure if this is what was done (doesn't really sound like it) is you can call your GV number, press # (I think) enter your pin, then press 2 to enter a number to call. Good for making LD calls from another phone where your GV # is a local call.

mrcamp

join:2003-08-04
Lake In The Hills, IL

You can even setup GV not to ask for your PIN # when you call your GV number.
--
So Much trouble in the world...Bob Marley

burgerwars

join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA

1 edit
reply to marcucci

said by marcucci:

One other option, not sure if this is what was done (doesn't really sound like it) is you can call your GV number, press # (I think) enter your pin, then press 2 to enter a number to call. Good for making LD calls from another phone where your GV # is a local call.
You mean "*". If you fund your Google Voice account, you can use your balance for international calls.

I do that from my work phone, as my employer doesn't care about local personal calls but does with long distance.

zaldy

reply to zaldy

Yeah but still if you only have Google Voice and nothing else, no softphones or hard phones then you can not do anything about it.

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:7

1 edit

said by zaldy:

Yeah but still if you only have Google Voice and nothing else, no softphones or hard phones then you can not do anything about it.
Google Voice is not a VoIP provider. It's more like a sophisticated calling card system. If you don't already have a phone number or forward through Gizmo5 - you cannot use it.

There are hacks out there to make GV work directly on a soft phone or adapter (basically when you dial, a PBX makes an HTML call to GV - this isn't SIP) - but they are not reliable and Google is likely to block them. (remember they don't want to be your phone company for free)

Whether GV is going to be around in the future is a big question mark considering whether they can actually make a profit out of all of this is unknown (and unlikely IMHO).

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4

said by nitzan:

Google Voice is not a VoIP provider.
Just exactly what is a VoIP provider?

nitzan
Premium,VIP

A company that provides... VoIP service?

neftv

join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA

1 edit
reply to mazilo

VOIP stands for Voice over IP. It's a way of sending/recieving phone calls over a data connection via a network appliance that is connected to your Lan or Wan.

neftv

Broomall, PA

2 edits
reply to zaldy

You can still dial out of GV but it has to be to a phone number at both ends it seems. I can't see a way around that. It seemed to me from the start the purpose of GV is that you give your GV number out to everyone and you have it set to either ring your other numbers or go to voice mail. The GV number never changes but your work/home/cell number can change because of circumstances and that way you would not have to tell 100 people your new number. Just give them your GV number done. And oh yea while your checking your voicemails and on a call via GV you have other features too. you can place outgoing phone calls too. Also, there is web site features that you can do with the phonebook and how you route calls. That's my understanding.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to neftv

said by neftv:

VOIP stands for Voice over IP. It's a way of sending/recieving phone calls over a data connection.
Exactly. When someone calls your GV number, the call gets forwarded to the number you specified in the forwarding section. If you forward your GV incoming calls to your SIPPhone (G5) line, the audio streams of incoming calls get sent through an Internet connection with a certain Internet Protocol. This also goes to outbound calls through a GV WEB click2call (or a GV Dialer) with the same incoming forwarding to your G5 line. As such, both incoming/outgoing audio streams are passed through Internet connections with certain Internet Protocol(s). Ain't that what we call Voice over Internet Protocol? After all, a VoIP is a Voice over Internet Protocol.
--
Mazilo always prays for FREEBIES!
UK Phone: +44-703-194-2574

caseydoug

join:2001-08-14
Seattle, WA
kudos:5
reply to neftv

said by neftv:

You can still dial out of GV but it has to be to a phone number at both ends it seems. I can't see a way around that.
Yeah, but it doesn't have to be your phone! So if you're, like, a homeless person, you can go down to the public library, get a peak at the DID number of the librarian's phone when she's on her coffee break, then quickly use the library computer to place a GV call that will ring into that phone. And when they shoo you away, you can always go back to your GV page and pick up your messages. What I want to know, however, is what are you doing hanging around this forum if you don't have a phone?

neftv

Broomall, PA
reply to mazilo

Yes. But GV has it implemented the way they have it.

neftv

Broomall, PA
reply to caseydoug

Yea you can use your neighbor's number too if your good friends.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to neftv

said by neftv:

Yes. But GV has it implemented the way they have it.
It doesn't matter how the calls are implemented. The services don't have to comply with SIP, and yet be VoIP, i.e. MGCP, Skype, H323, etc. What matters here is if GV service is a VoIP or not. I would rather agree with Nitzan; however, knowing what VoIP and/or GV services are, it will be hard for me to admit that GV services are not VoIP.
--

neftv

Broomall, PA

1 edit

The only VOIP part that I think GV is, is the link to having calls go to G5. But that is a back end thing. I not sure what the technology behind the web interface is but I am sure they use Level 3 for the PSTN access. I think that part been said before. My guess is all non G5 linked calls go out as PSTN no matter what.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA

said by neftv:

The only VOIP part that I think GV is, is the link to having calls go to G5.
Exactly. As such the call should be considered as a VoIP call.

neftv

Broomall, PA

2 edits
reply to zaldy

This is just my theory I wonder if GV is going to try to get all VOIP companies on board just like they did with G5. Making them the new SIP broker except that there are no special numbers to dial. If I understand this right as it is one can't Call say from F9 to Concentric and make that call stay on the internet side unless there is some SIP broker digits involved. And because of political reasons I guess one VOIP company will not interconnect directly with all the other VOIP companies. Otherwise the call goes out as PSTN between to Voip numbers. Maybe the angle I describe is something GV is trying to do.

zaldy

reply to mazilo

Technically I think GV is VoIP. Your call passes through their system and it goes through the internet so it should be VoIP.

nitzan
Premium,VIP
reply to mazilo

I didn't say Google is not using VOIP. I said Google is not a VOIP provider. Whether they use VOIP or not behind the scenes doesn't matter if the end user can't use VOIP to interconnect with them directly.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA

said by nitzan:

I didn't say Google is not using VOIP. I said Google is not a VOIP provider.
Neither did I ever mention and/or accuse you on this thread said Google is not a VoIP provider.

Whether they use VOIP or not behind the scenes doesn't matter if the end user can't use VOIP to interconnect with them directly.
AFAIC, an end user doesn't have to be directly interconnected to a VoSP, yet the company that provides such a service to the enduser can still be considered as a VoIP provider so long as the said company implements a VoIP technology on its services even behind the door.
--

zaldy

reply to neftv

said by neftv:

You can still dial out of GV but it has to be to a phone number at both ends it seems. I can't see a way around that. It seemed to me from the start the purpose of GV is that you give your GV number out to everyone and you have it set to either ring your other numbers or go to voice mail. The GV number never changes but your work/home/cell number can change because of circumstances and that way you would not have to tell 100 people your new number. Just give them your GV number done. And oh yea while your checking your voicemails and on a call via GV you have other features too. you can place outgoing phone calls too. Also, there is web site features that you can do with the phonebook and how you route calls. That's my understanding.
So can you dial out with Google voice with out an internet?