So. CA, USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

onDvine to usa2k

Premium Member

to usa2k

Re: Reason # 1 to stop drinking

said by usa2k:

... Lucky for me I could go cold turkey without any discomfort.
How I wish you could do similar!
You really are lucky. That predisposition to becoming dependent on alcohol is a big (though not insurmountable) hurdle for some.

My husband and I used to like drinking together. But when we first found out I was sick, he gave it up immediately without any problem while I ...did not exactly do that right away.

wanabegeek
1917-1987
Premium Member
join:2007-06-11
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

wanabegeek to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat

Kat !
You have my love, prayers, mojo, support ! Whatever you need let me know

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef to Dominokat

MVM

to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:
said by jopfef:

(Besides, look at all the money you'll save by not buying that stuff!!!)
About 300 dollars a month... give or take
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!! WAY too much money to be blowing on booze!!! Send that green stuff to me; then you can't afford to go drink.

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-06
Garden Grove, CA
·Charter
Hitron E31N2V1

suprleg to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
Kat, you have all my support, if a dummy like myself can be sober over 15 years, I know you can do the same.
Everyone here that has mentioned having a strong support group is 100% correct. Church, friends, family, whatever it takes, find that "thing" that works for you. What worked for me were near beers and divorce papers being handed to me.... Thankfully I kept the wife and lost the habit. I pray you find the strength to do what's right for you.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

2 recommendations

signmeuptoo94 to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
Sometimes I think Alcoholism goes along with a sense of (real or not) emotional isolationism. Even when you have a partner, if you aren't connected with the partner in a way that makes you feel fulfilled, the pain of it can have a person drinking. Some it is a loss of a family member, a child, a parent.

I used to, when I was a young man, drink a lot, and many of my friends were indeed alcoholics. When I came to realize this I made a change. Those friends treated their wives horribly, and coming to terms with me participating in that aspect of their lives, associating with them in spite of being so mean, well it did get to me.

I was more addicted to pot. No kidding. I craved it day in and day out and when I didn't have any I would go to every friend I had begging for some. They say it is not addictive, but I sure seemed to have a problem with it. I don't touch that stuff or anything but my prescriptions today, non of which are addictive, although I use Ambien which isn't the best thing to take, but my insomnia is really bad. It is a delight to fall asleep and get rest.

I don't know what I would do if I still needed to smoke and drink, because I don't even have a spare 5 bucks every month a day after I get my check! And our checks are not going up on New Year's this year or next year, but the Medicare take out will go up. Things are going to be tighter for me.

My one addiction today is my love for my precious Alain and our boy. I can't bear going a day without at least hearing her voice. I know I am so very fortunate to belong to someone like her, she is so special.

Dom, when the urge to drink comes on, go for a drive instead. If you have a mountain bike, and there are trails near you (I really miss the Bay Area for that) go out for a run. You don't have to race, and if hills are a problem, walk up them. A nice forest or trail bike ride can give you a nice endorphin fix.

You're on my mind, friend. Alain is lighting candles, as always.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

2 recommendations

Dominokat

Premium Member

This is harder then I thought.

I'm going to need to go to AA or something.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

We are proud of you!
You can beat this.
AA can be very therapeutic. You are not alone.
Yet you need support. Meetings are a great plan!

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place

BadHat to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat

You have my prayers. Quitting is not an easy task. My father was an alcholic that fought it for years. I have several in my family. You can beat it, but it won't be easy. Have faith in yourself.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 edit

2 recommendations

Dominokat

Premium Member

I've always been stubborn as hell.
I've never been able to depend on others so now I have it in me to only depend on myself. I've become proud to do things myself and for the most part this works.

But I have to admit, I may be stubborn and want to do things myself. And I wanted to get through this on my own. But it looks like I have to swallow my pride this time and get outside help and others involved.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

onDvine

Premium Member

said by Dominokat:

... But it looks like I have to swallow my pride this time and get outside help and others involved.
You should feel proud for recognizing that you need outside help and being ready to trust those who can provide it (like AA). Quitting on your own isn't important; just the quitting part is.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

2 recommendations

Sunny to Dominokat

to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

But it looks like I have to swallow my pride this time and get outside help and others involved.
I'm glad to hear this, Dom. The positive side of stubborn is persistent. Do AA and turn stubborn into that positive. There is nothing wrong with getting help. Remember, pride goes before a fall.

Vtblues
if you can't get out of it, get in to it
Premium Member
join:2006-05-29
Brookfield, VT

2 recommendations

Vtblues to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
I never would have been able to quit without AA. Funny thing, in my town the bar was on one side of the street and the AA meeting was on the other, I used to be worried people at the bar would see me going to a meeting.
Give the AA a good chance, a lot of years of cumulative experience there all for you to use.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

2 recommendations

Dominokat

Premium Member

Thank you...

I just HATE feeling weak. But it is what it is and as I said. I have to swallow my independent pride and look for others (AA or something) to help me.

I feel confidant I WILL get through this.

simplykristi
Cancer Sucks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
Blue Springs, MO

simplykristi to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
You can do it! I will make sure you don't fall off the wagon!

Kristi
simplykristi

simplykristi to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
Kat,
Alcoholism runs in my family BIG TIME. My paternal grandfather drank until his death in July 1991. My dad drank until my mom gave him an ultimatum in Nov. 1977. He chose to sober up. He remained sober from Nov. 1977 until his death last year. My middle brother was admitted into an recovery program in 1980... My parents told him that he had to in as he was showing signs of alcoholism at age 18. He can stop and start drinking. I wish he would quit for good. I can pretty much stay away from the stuff.

Please know that I am behind you 100%! It will NOT be easy!

Kristi

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

1 edit

onDvine to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

... and look for others (AA or something) to help me. ...
You'll find AA immediately when you look. Can't think of what the "or something" you mentioned could be unless considering an institutional, more costly recovery program.
... I feel confidant I WILL get through this.
You will. Just gotta refocus that independent pride, as Sorto said. Others here (myself included) have quit. There's no reason you can't, too.

Maccawolf
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

1 recommendation

Maccawolf to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
For support I HIGHLY recommend Alcoholics Anonymous, but it will only help (work) if you REALLY want to quit.

Many thousands have quit with the help and support of A.A.
Maccawolf

2 recommendations

Maccawolf to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
It helps with stubborn people too.....

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
Pride kept me from getting help for my problem for years, years I now realize have gone down the drain. We, as humans, are meant to look to each other, we are a social creature, it is how we are wired. Don't let false pride get in your way, good for you realizing that you deserve the help from AA.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 edit

5 recommendations

Dominokat

Premium Member

Hi all---

I just want to thank everyone again for the support. I really appreciate all the suggestions many are giving. And I also appreciate the stories some wrote of either themselves or someone they knew going through the same thing I am.

Its going to be tough. No way around that. But as I wrote, I can be stubborn. I can do this.... No..... I WILL DO THIS

Edit add: "I will do this" or face kidney failure and probable death. Hmmm, drink heavy and die, or drink nothing and live..... Damn, tough choice.... jk

lonnyb
Blessed Beyond Belief
Premium Member
join:2004-01-25
San Antonio, TX

lonnyb to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
You have my prayers!

Make sure you supplant that habit with a healthy one, like walking through those beautiful Maine woods (as one suggestion). (Remember to apply mosquito repellent.)

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

1 recommendation

usa2k to Dominokat

MVM

to Dominokat
We are not going anywhere either.
Lines of communication help keep the focus.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

6 recommendations

Dominokat

Premium Member

I am ashamed to say this isn't going so well.
As strong as I thought I was, I am NOT going to do this myself.
I've looked online and found the AA schedules in my area. There are many. One of them looks like it will fit my needs so I will be going to my first meeting next Thursday.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

onDvine

Premium Member

Nothing to be ashamed of. Congratulations on the wise decision you've made.

It would be nice if you stop drinking 12-24 hours before that first meeting...or at least don't arrive drunk.

howieh
4 more weeks
MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

2 recommendations

howieh to Dominokat

MVM

to Dominokat
It was probably easier for you to stop when you made the effort last winter than it is this time. Most people say that every time they stop and then start drinking again, that it gets progressively harder to stop the next time. Do yourself a big favor; if you can successfully stop this time, stay stopped. I had my last drink 20 years ago on Sept. 3, 1989. I should say that I hope that it was my last drink, I sure wouldn't want go through the pain of stopping again.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

2 recommendations

usa2k to Dominokat

MVM

to Dominokat
Baby steps. The meeting I am sure will help.
Definitely go. For every reason not to, there are 100x reasons to get there.

If it were easy, there would not be so many AA meetings everywhere on the planet.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

onDvine to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
said by howieh:

... Most people say that every time they stop and then start drinking again, that it gets progressively harder to stop the next time. ...
Also, when folks start again after a period without drinking, the tendency is to drink more and generally go downhill faster. Some do that a few times and "hit bottom" before they're ready to give it up for good. "Bottom" isn't a nice place to be and I hope you can avoid it.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

3 edits

3 recommendations

Dominokat

Premium Member

I don't think I need to or want to hit this "bottom" you all speak of.
I know I have a problem, and I know my health is at risk. My liver already says so.
As much as I wish I had, what I don't have is the will power to stop on my own. Hence my to desire to try one of the AA meetings in my area. I hope this will help me .....
I never ever thought things would get this far with my drinking.....

Frankly I didn't think I drank allot... but I was soooooo wrong.

However, I also feel I can beat this.... But not on my own.

I will continue with all all of your prayers here from Helix, along with the help from my AA meetings.

Please, if you have room. Keep me in your prayers..... I WILL STOP DRINKING......

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
Midwest

4 recommendations

Gizy to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
I've already said this to you but, asking for help doesn't mean you're weak. It means you're human. Only Superheros don't need help. And as much as all of us love you, I for one really hope you're human.

You've done two of the hardest things in the world:
1. admitted you had a problem with something
2. asked for help solving it

We already know how strong you are. You can make changes. I know you can.

Maccawolf
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

3 recommendations

Maccawolf to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
If you CAN, try to hook up with a sponsor, even if it's only someone temporary.

Someone you can call ANYTIME before picking up a drink......