Waxahachie, TX

1 edit

Frohike7 to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast

Re: Web/HTTP access doesn't work, PING does

said by MineCoast:

Try the following on the command line.

Netsh int ip reset reset.log (the command above is incorrect)

netsh int ip delete arpcache (this doesn't appear to have been tried)

Reboot after running these. It should resolve your issue.

If that does not resolve issue, uninstall/reinstall NIC drivers. Disable TCP/IP Version 6 if it's installed as well.
netsh int ip reset reset.log or netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt will both work.

Its not his NIC drivers - the NIC works fine in safemode.

As I said before - there is software loading in regular mode that is interfering with the HTTP that doesn't load in safemode.

If you can't seem to find it - can try system restore back to a date it was working and hope that system restore removes the program(s) in question. Which is never a guarantee.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to MineCoast

MVM

to MineCoast
said by MineCoast:

Netsh int ip reset reset.log (the command above is incorrect)
I didn't have any luck with the exact wording either. The resetlog file didn't look "right". I found the KB at MS and it was worded a bit different. Ran that and the resetlog file was full of entries.
said by MineCoast:

Will try that.
said by MineCoast:

If that does not resolve issue, uninstall/reinstall NIC drivers. Disable TCP/IP Version 6 if it's installed as well.
Nothing is wrong with the NIC. It works in Safe Mode and things like PING work in normal mode. I haven't tried the wired connection but the owner said he tried both wired and wireless and got same problem. IPv6 is already disabled (not installed).
Hall

Hall to mattei

MVM

to mattei
'netsh dump'

Interesting to whom ? I piped it's results to a logfile and read through it and nothing glaringly wrong jumps out (to me).

'netdiag /test:winsock'

command not found
Hall

Hall to MineCoast

MVM

to MineCoast
said by MineCoast:

Returned "ok"
Hall

Hall

MVM

Another "Automatic Update" got downloaded too. What protocol do those use ?

I also thought it could be something wrong with the user's account seeing as no 'net works when logged in as them but does as admin. So I created a 2nd user, with admin rights, and logged in. Still no 'net access though.
Hall

Hall

MVM

Since I can PING websites, networking isn't broken. I can PING them by name, so DNS is good.

When I try »/ in a browser address, I get the same blank page. Interestingly, it takes a couple of seconds as if it's trying. Something is blocking the outbound HTTP port(s), yes ??

Boredness
So bored...
Premium Member
join:2005-07-07
Fresno, CA

Boredness to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
If you can get SUPERAntiSpyware on there that could probably fix it. There is a "Repairs" tab in the preferences section also called control center that can repair broken network connections [WinSock LSP Chain]. There are other system repair options in there as well like reset URL prefixes.

MoJeeper
The Stig in 2012
Premium Member
join:2000-10-20
Springfield, MO

MoJeeper to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
I'm not sure if this is related but I'm using Alltel wireless here and I'm having the same problems and My father who uses Alltel also is having the same issues as the OP.

I'm able to browse to some web pages, others not. I have tried an alternate DNS and same thing. I have Chrome, IE8 and Firefox.

They all do the same, either time out or partial load and they spin away trying to load the rest of the page. Ping is the same goes out and returns no problem.

has me baffled too.

bangaroo
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13

bangaroo to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
How about the Winsock Fix?
»www.snapfiles.com/get/wi ··· fix.html

mattei
Moderated, now muzzled
join:2001-03-19
Canada

1 edit

mattei to Hall

to Hall
:)

I missed the part where you followed through on resetting winsock. Likely, nothing interesting to be seen. I was interested in IP/IPSec routing, transports, and proxies. You've tried:
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset reset.log

right?

May as well complete the trifecta:
netsh firewall reset

Then enable logging (advanced tab on the FW dialog) and see what you can see in %systemroot%\Pfirewall.log.

Back to winsock. A system service (hidden, injected, or sitting in plain sight) could be adding to the catalog after reset. Try
netsh winsock show catalog >xsp.txt

An obvious sign would be the presence of something removed by the reset (check the reset log Edit: no reset log is generated for winsock - use a clean machine's catalog or Google and a fine tooth comb). Resetting winsock removed non-default Layered Service Provider registry keys. Unless one of the third-party repair tools claims to do more they're not going to help.

Sorry about the second one. netdiag is part of the support tools package (on the CD and a free download) but now that I've read all the steps you have and have not taken I see it's pointless.

AU uses BITS. BITS uses HTTP and HTTPS to transfer files. Another tool in the support tools package, bitsadmin.exe, will allow you to create jobs, add files to a job, and monitor progress. There's also a BITS MMC snap-in if you want a GUI but I don't know which editions, if any, have it installed. Never used it.

The presence of successful MS Automatic Update downloads means HTTP transport is working for the Update Agent but I'm fuzzy on the circumstances. Have any of these downloads occurred in Normal mode or were they all in Safe/Clean Boot modes? If I've read what you've reported clearly, ICMP (Ping) and UDP (DNS) seem unaffected.

The next thing that pops into my head is Group Policy restrictions. GPResult.exe might help. Myself, I'd probably have Process Explorer and NetMon running at this point as well as a copious supply of "Admin fuel" aka beer.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

1 edit

Hall

MVM

Will try the add'l 'netsh' commands you suggest.

As for the AU downloads, it seems to me that they're occurring while the PC is sitting at the login/welcome screen. It can be there for a long time. I'm working on this thing off and on (more off than on, mind you !). Also goes along with why I thought it was something related to the user's profile since 'net access (HTTP) works in Safe Mode.

I did try "Run as..." and signing in as admin but that's not allowed on XP Home it seems.
Hall

Hall to mattei

MVM

to mattei
said by mattei:

Then enable logging (advanced tab on the FW dialog) and see what you can see in %systemroot%\Pfirewall.log.
What would one look for in that log file ? All it contains (after attempting to access the 'net) is a bunch of "OPEN" and "DROP" UDP connections and they're all from "internal" IP addresses, i.e. 192.168.1.x addresses. Actually, since I launch the web browser -- wait, the XP firewall doesn't block outgoing connections anyway, does it ? -- the firewall shouldn't interfere.

mattei
Moderated, now muzzled
Canada

mattei to Hall

to Hall
said by Hall:

As for the AU downloads, it seems to me that they're occurring while the PC is sitting at the login/welcome screen.
When booting normally?
said by Hall:

It can be there for a long time.
Auto-login / login that seems slow or Hall is busy and it can wait?
said by Hall:

I did try "Run as..." and signing in as admin but that's not allowed on XP Home it seems.
Only in Safe mode (blank default password).
mattei

mattei to Hall

to Hall
We're looking for something specific...and we'll know it when we see it :D. XP SP2+ has a stateful firewall that does not block outbound traffic but we can use it to help troubleshoot the network stack.

OPEN, good.
DROP, good, if the RECEIVE flag is shown. Probably port 1900?
UDP only, bad.

We should be seeing TCP connection OPENs when you attempt to access the Internet. Sorry that I forgot to mention this but did you check both logging options (dropped and successful)? If so, we've almost confirmed TCP protocol IP stream sockets aren't making it to the firewall. If that's not the case we'll move on to WinHTTP.

Could you try FTP or POP or SMTP or all three, then check the firewall log again? You said FTP didn't work but I'd like to confirm the lack of TCP entries in the log.

Afterwards,
netsh interface ip show tcpstats

Oddities like zero's, much > than zero for In Errors, Out Resets equaling or approaching Out Segments?

If netsh complains about the Routing and Remote Access Service you'll probably have to change the service startup mode from disabled to manual before you can start it.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to mattei

MVM

to mattei
said by mattei:

Auto-login / login that seems slow or Hall is busy and it can wait?
When there was only (1) account on the machine, it logged in automatically. At one point I added a "test" user account so when it boots, it stops at the Welcome screen.
Hall

Hall to mattei

MVM

to mattei
Let me stop the logging and get a fresh logfile to look at. Once I initiate it, I will attempt to access the internet with a browser and take a snapshot of the logfile at that point.
Hall

Hall to mattei

MVM

to mattei
pfirewall.log
2,898 bytes
The firewall logfile is attached. I actually cleared the logfile, restarted the firewall, and had to leave the PC.

.122 is the laptop itself. .50 is my PC. .104 is probably my wife's laptop.
Hall

1 edit

Hall to mattei

MVM

to mattei
tcpstats.txt
675 bytes
said by mattei:

[code]
netsh interface ip show tcpstats
[/code] Oddities like zero's, much > than zero for In Errors, Out Resets equaling or approaching Out Segments?
Here's the results of that command.

mattei
Moderated, now muzzled
Canada

mattei to Hall

to Hall
The UDP DROPs are just NetBIOS/SMB broadcasts and a few DHCP packets. Could you lather, rinse, repeat for FTP? I'd like to verify, via the log, that it's not just HTTP running over TCP that's blocked. All we're doing is proving the earlier assertions of a third-party component forcibly knocking all TCP connections down.

tcpstats;
I'm trying not to look at the obvious correlations and stick to RFC definitions but, well, eew. It looks like an ornery LSP where there shouldn't be one (or firewall hook, filter hook, intermediate NDIS driver ). I'll get back to those once the FTP test confirms it's TCP in general and not just HTTP but that's looking like a formality at this point.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Will try FTP in a few minutes.

Remember, this still occurs when I disable XP's firewall so that leaves "filter hook" and "intermediate NDIS driver" from your list.

Doesn't one of the 'netsh' commands wipe out LSPs and make things start over ?

mattei
Moderated, now muzzled
Canada

1 edit

mattei

said by Hall:

Doesn't one of the 'netsh' commands wipe out LSPs and make things start over ?
Yes, but
said by mattei:

A system service (hidden, injected, or sitting in plain sight) could be adding to the catalog after reset. Try
netsh winsock show catalog >xsp.txt

An obvious sign would be the presence of something removed by the reset (check the reset log Edit: no reset log is generated for winsock - use a clean machine's catalog or Google and a fine tooth comb).

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Well, the laptop's owner asked for it back at this point.... I enjoyed the challenge !

I did tell him if/when he takes it to someone else to "fix" to not let them simply wipe it clean and start over because that's what how too many people "fix" PC problems. If that's the solution, he can do that himself vs pay someone to stick a disc in it, reboot, answer a few prompts and walk away.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

I didn't think of this till first thing this morning. Not sure if would even work. Did you ever try removing all networking components and rebooting? Not that it matters now but I remember a similar problem years back with XP and it fixed it.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Yeah, I thought of that too but the stubborn part of me said "no, don't bother ... the NICs are able to ping, auto-updates was working and everything worked just fine in Safe Mode". Didn't do it obviously

mattei
Moderated, now muzzled
Canada

mattei

I saw it suggested earlier in the thread. When you declined to do so, I figured you had decided to go the distance.

*sniffle* I was curious.
Pronoiac
join:2009-09-03
San Francisco, CA

Pronoiac to Hall

to Hall
Hey there -

I was troubleshooting a friend's netbook with the same problem when I stumbled on this page. I just signed up to post this, so pardon me if I botch the HTML.

That case turned out to be an incomplete Norton uninstallation. To check that, see if booting it in Safe Mode with Networking helps. If it does, get the Norton removal program and run it.

Cheers!

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by Pronoiac:

That case turned out to be an incomplete Norton uninstallation. To check that, see if booting it in Safe Mode with Networking helps. If it does, get the Norton removal program and run it.
Interesting.... He had Symantec AV on there and said it wouldn't uninstall (properly). I thought I sent him a link to Symantec's stand-alone uninstaller but don't know if it was done.

RPC
@net.novis.pt

RPC to Hall

Anon

to Hall
Just solved an identical issue on a friends laptop.
I've found a strange mix of AVG and bitdefender firewall registry entries.
After a Registry cleanup and a Panda AV scan and Firewall correctly configured, everything seems to work just fine

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to Pronoiac

MVM

to Pronoiac
said by Pronoiac:

That case turned out to be an incomplete Norton uninstallation. ...get the Norton removal program and run it.
said by RPC :

After a Registry cleanup...
Those two "fixes" solved the problem ! I used Symantec's clean-up tool (ironic that their "uninstall" routine doesn't do the job properly) and then did a registry clean-up. Running the Norton tool and rebooting wasn't sufficient. Apparently there was still stray Norton crap left behind....

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

Glad you got it working!