join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast

[Word] MS word 2003 is very slow to open or close

In my copy of office 2003 word is very slow to open or close. It takes on average 17 seconds to open and 15 seconds to close. This does not sound like very long, but it used to take about 3 seconds to open and close was about the same.

I deleted the entire MS office program and re-installed, but that did not seem to have any effect. I've searched the MS knowledge base until I'm just about cross-eyed and can't find anything that helps.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

is that the only prog slow to open? if not check eventviewer logs for errors and warnings. If yes try disabling dde
»Re: [XP Home] Word and Excel slow to open document
also do you have an av that might be set to scan office doc?

Cudni
--
"what we know we know the same, what we don't know, we don't know it differently."
Help yourself so God can help you.
Microsoft MVP, 2006 - 2009

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Oceanside, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Optimum Online
reply to stev32k

Is that for an existing document or for a new blank word document.
The reason I ask is when I open word or excel on a saved document my anti virus program runs a check prior to opening the document.
I am currently using NIS 2009 and there is an option in the NIS 2009 control panel to check MS Office Documents. It slows the opening down by a few seconds but not by 17 seconds. On a different PC I was using Office 2003 and AVG; which also had a plug in for Office and checked every document prior to opening ; this also slowed word down.
I am not sure if this is your situation, but it won`t hurt to check.

VV
--
The privileges of being an American Citizen
1. To Vote.
2. To Serve on a Jury.
3. To Serve in the Armed Forces.
»www.clermontyellow.accountsuppor···Then.swf

stev32k
Premium
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast
reply to stev32k

OK, I tried disabling the DDE function as suggested in the link above, but still no joy. The opening and closing times remain the same.

I do have trend micro AV but it does not scan office documents on opening.

The slow opening occurs on blank documents or saved ones - does not seem to matter. The same applies to closing it takes a blank document sheet as long to close as a two pager. Also I'm not having the problem with excel it pops right up ready to go.

stev32k
Premium
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast

2 edits
reply to stev32k

Hot damn - just found the fix from an old post:
goto "C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\normal.dat" and change normal.dat to normal.old - problem solved. Word just pops up ready to go.

P.S. If anyone is interested the info came from here: »forums.techguy.org/business-appl···ing.html
P.P.S. Just timed the opening and closing speeds for blank sheets -1.15 seconds to open; .85 to close. I can live with that .

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Oceanside, NY
reply to stev32k

Nice find

MIXZ1

join:2001-01-02
Mexico
Reviews:
·Prodigy Infinitum
reply to stev32k

said by stev32k:

goto "C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\normal.dat" and change normal.dat to normal.old - problem solved. Word just pops up ready to go.
You mean normal.dot, right?

stev32k
Premium
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast

said by MIXZ1:

said by stev32k:

You mean normal.dot, right?
Yeah, you're right thanks for the catch.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to stev32k

That's good you found a fix...thanks for posting it.

I once had a similar problem and had given up finding a solution.
Then, I got rid of AVG anti-virus one day only because I decided to switch to Avira.
As if by magic, Word opened instantly after that. (I had even tried disabling AVG back then but it made no difference).
Nothing I had tried ever worked until I got rid of AVG.

Anyway, I'm a little OT, since your problem had nothing to do with AVG.

By the way, I did rename the normal.dot file, to normal.old (Just for the heck of it), and I noticed that it was recreated again once I started Word (At which time I just deleted the original version).

Anyway, thanks again for posting this...may need that hint some day down the road.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

efflandt

join:2002-01-25
Elgin, IL
reply to stev32k

I forget which Word version, but we did have problems with Word on an office PC bogging down, and I eventually disvcovered that normal.dot had grown much larger than it was on other PC's with same Office version. Not sure what caused that (maybe a macro in a doc).

Simply deleting the jumbo normal.dot resolved the issue (Word would then recreate it in original normal size). Although, I think that happened more than once. If it was a security flaw, an MS Office update might have eventually fixed it.